Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W making the 610 again?

elenius

Maybe they just renewed it just in case there are any new ones still in stock in some remote gun shop?

Yeah, but don't they have to send 3 guns in? Or is that just the first time, and then renewals are cheaper/easier?

• 2 weeks later...

The 610-3 has the internal lock which may be why it was approved, and S&W can surely find three of anything, and who knows when the samples were submitted. At the '07 Shot Show, they were queried on the resurgence of a 610.

The "one" who knows, or should know said; " not for several months". Two publications make current reference to a Performance Center version, though both show "data not available".

Smith is obviously very market savy now. A run of 250 pieces will usually be sufficient for a run of anything. I'd bet they will make the 610 again, though I have no way of confirming that or knowing when.

Two publications make current reference to a Performance Center version, though both show "data not available".

A PC 610 makes sense. Cool gun, though its appeal outside our sport has proven to be rather limited. Maybe if they designated it a "Miculek" model it would sell better? There seem to be tons of buyers for the Jerry model 625 PC who never intend on shooting our sport. I hope the 625 returns. It was a cool gun.

Edited by Carlos

I'd like to see if they could come up with a Ti cylinder gun for those of us wanting something a little more special. If that's not in the works, then a full underlug 5" or 6.5" gun would be nice. I have the 610-2 and like the non fluted cylinder and heavy barrel. It hardly moves with light ICORE and steel loads and is quite manageable with the heavier stuff. I dunno, that's just me. Mostly I think I want to see them available again so as to keep prices down. A full production run of 500-1000 would be better, but probably only for us out here.. Doubtful S&W would produce that many. I'd like to see higher numbers so the people who actually shoot these beasties could get them before 'collectors' snatch them all up. I wonder if they could use a 50 cal frame and make a 10 mm 8 shot? ;)

Can anybody tell me even one thing that a 610 can do better than a 625 can do? For match use I see no appeal in the 10mm. In the field and for defense of self I'd still choose the 625.

But then a 7 shot 10mm would certainly get my attention...

Dave Sinko

Can anybody tell me even one thing that a 610 can do better than a 625 can do?

Flatter trajectory for deer hunting maybe?

The 610 has sort of cult following, but it tends to be a regional thing. You can make a fine competition gun out of a 610, not better than a 625 but perhaps if you're already loading .40 S&W for your Limited blaster it would make some sense.

I recently bought a 5" 610 just for fun, but haven't really had a chance to mess with it yet.

Can anybody tell me even one thing that a 610 can do better than a 625 can do? For match use I see no appeal in the 10mm. In the field and for defense of self I'd still choose the 625.

Dave Sinko

Well sure: the 610 can use the same .40 cal ammo you are already loading for your Limited .40 cal. I'd just like to see more options in the market and more moon-clip chambered revolvers.

<_< I still have my 1992 -93 610 with the -?- harder metal in the first run ? at leat I think the first run was better.

It worked great for Team Challenge 35yard targets The best thing for me was just stocking one size primer.

for my auto and my Rev. If I used the same brass for both guns my groups would get too big with my 610

I wanted groups under 2" at 35 yards > I next to never shot 10mm in it = I could not find an improvment in the group at all. over the 40

Dave Sinko

With so many 40 S&W auto's out there the 610 fills a niche just like the 625,

you can shoot your auto rounds in a wheel gun.

You can shoot 40 S&W or full house 10mm loads (just like the 38spcl/357 mag)

I owned the 10mm first and saw no need for 45 caliber guns for the games I

was playing, back then 10mm brass was plentiful and reasonable cheap,

hell when I bought my Delta Elite the 40 S&W wasn't around at all.

Now 10mm brass is crazy priced at least on ebay.

I believe the round does shoot pretty flat, I once shot a silhouette course

with rams out to 200 meters, my hold on those with my pin load was just at the

top of the rams back but my brother in laws hold with his 44 mag Ruger BH was

something like 2 to 3 feet above the back.

Biggest problem for the 610's (IMO) is the lack of good pointy bullets.

I've had nothing but trouble with one makers 180 grn full round nose plated bullets

this year, 200's where better but have a flat spot.

Have to try the Bear Creeks soon, have heard good things.

Anyways, it's a matter of choice, just run what ya brung, makes no difference what

the other guy is shooting as long as they're out there.

I'd still like to see someone make a cast/moly coated 40 cal pistol bullet that has some ogive to it for better feeding. Somthing along the lines and looks of a bear creek 170 gr - 38 cal bullet, only between 180 and 200 gr. We have all that cylinder when using 40 cal brass, why not use it?

I've always like the 10 mm cartridge over the other "magnums" and would like to see S&W offer it again. .45 bullets tend to be heavier and as a result are pricier in todays metals markets.. With my 610, I own 2 other 40's. A 229 for production, and a P16-40 for Limited. Having the ability to load one caliber is advantageous to me. Less needed components.