Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speer nickle plated 45acp

mikeone

I just received 5000pc of brass from my buddy

Are there any special requirements to processing this and reloading?

I have heard not to use chemical cleaners when I tumble.

I know 45 has brass had quite a lifespan if pressures are sane.

any info welcome. I may never have to buy brass again if this stuff is good to go. :goof:

I have 9mm ,9mm+p , 38special+p, 357mag, 45 , 45+p all Speer and Nickle.

Thanks Mike!

Edited by mikeone

I'm not sure if it applies to 45 brass or not, but..

with Speer Nickle there is sometimes the tendency for the primer to be pulled back into the case when you deprime.

There's some thread on how to correct it. Just watch a few dozen when you start.. you'll know if they have the same issue as 40 S&W.

Otherwise, I prefer nickle brass, it does seem to split easier, but also seems to go through the press with less effort.

The never having to buy brass again.. lol.. depends on how much you shoot.. I used to think that was a lot too..

dont tumble it as long, it generally doesnt need it, I have seen the nickle plating flake off and some claim it'll damage dies but I have never had a problem with it. and dont really worry about the occasional flake.

I found that it split after fewer loadings than unplated brass but that if I flared it a little less that seemed to help. It cleans and polishes easier. It seems to feed thur the dies and my mags easier and its easier to find after its been fired. Other than that its same old stuff.--------Larry

Somewhere in the past I seem to remember some discussion that Nickel cases are harder and put more wear and tear on sizing dies.

I don't know if there is any truth to this theory.

If you have tungsten carbide dies that is not a concern anyway.

I do know that some open shooters claim that it ejects from the chamber more smoothly causing less dot movement.

One thing for sure.

It's easier to spot your brass on the ground after a match. B)

Tony

Edited by 38superman

Nickel plated brass splits too easily, plain brass 45 acp cases last almost forever, but I've never been able to get more that a few loadings on nickel plate before it splits or the plating starts peeling off. From what I've heard the plating process is what causes the problems.

I've never had it where the Nickel plate flakes off. More like it's eventually worn down to the brass underneath. I have some 38's that have only been loaded low pressure that are kind of a two tone silver-brass coloration where the Nickel has worn off. I do seem to get more splits on the plated brass than I do the regular stuff, usually in 40 cal higher pressure ammo. Usually it's a lengthwise split. In 38's it tends to split at the mouth of the case.

The only problem I have seen with the Speer nickle is the base face seems to be dished when might cause a high primer. I have loaded several hundred of these but I hand prime & use a 550 so I am not sure if it could be a problem for others.