Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FTE STI 38 super open

Major9er

Help!! I need some expertise for my new open Trubor. It will fire and eject fine, but if I do the "unload and show clear" the slide gets to the ejector and will not move any further. The rim of the round appears to be hitting on something. I just can't see where or what. I have to remove the magazine, (STI) and push the round from under the extractor and let it fall thru the bottom of the grip. I have an Aftec extractor, appears to be holding the round with enough tension. I have changed seating depth from 1.270 to 1.250, no change. I am loading 38 super. not comp. Extractor is for 38 super. The slide just will not go completly back enough to allow the ejector to kick the round out. Is this a minor thing or does the gun need to go to STI?

Without seeing the gun, it is hard to tell exactly what's happening.

Does the pistol have an extended ejector in it? One possible scenario is the the gun will run fine when it is ejecting an empty case but the length of the ejector combined with the overall length of the loaded round is to long to clear.

Hope that gives you a place to start looking.

-JPL

Well if you’re doing the unload and show clear thing the mag should already be out. How hard are you pulling the slide back? I've seen them fall out the bottom if you’re pulling the slide back real easy. If it were me I would use a little more force pulling the slide back to see if that works. The main thing is that it works when you shoot it, I would not monkey with anything to fix your problem.

Simple. The bullet of the *loaded* round is not clearing your ejection port. The mouth of a *fired case* is farther back and clears fine.

It sounds like an extended ejector got put in somewhere along the line and it was never tuned to fit your gun. You'll need to shorten the ejector in order to expel loaded rounds through the ejection port as normal. When this is done, you'll almost certainly have to do some adjusting on the angle of the tip so that your brass clears your scope properly.

Head to www.1911store.com and look at the magazine articles for instructions on tuning ejectors. Otherwise, see out a gunsmith who is savvy in the ways of *race* guns. They'll get you fixed up.

Major9er,

Eric is most likely right on the money. Please be careful if you follow Jon's advise and don't be looking in the ejection port while pulling slide back with extra force. Especially if you are doing this at the range with live ammo. Occasionally doing this will allow the ejector to strike the primer and you get a kaboom. Be careful. If you feel uncomfortable adjusting the ejector, please take it to a gunsmith. It will only take 30 thousandths or so to shorten it enough to clear. Also, sometimes if you use a bullet with a different nose profile they will come out. For instance the nose of a Montanna Gold jhp is more pointed than a Zero jhp. Good luck.

Thanks all for the input, I believe I have an extended ejector. It measures 1.300" The round is hitting the ejector and the nose of the bullet is still shy of clearing the chamber. I've been loading to 1.270" and 1.240", still won't eject. I think I need to shorten the ejector, but how much? Is there a "standard" length for ejector or just cut and try. I really appreciate everyone's help. I believe I now know the answer to my problem.

I was just chopping on one last night, it looked good at about 1.160" long at the top, but how far the back of the slide was ground off and things like that will change it. You could just order one of the prepped ones from Brazos and put it in........