Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AA #5 9mm Major data with 115's, WC 818

Kingman

Ok, so had some AA #5 from back in the days of 9*21.

Decided to give it a try and see what I could come up with.

Chrono'd in both guns

gun 1 5.2" bbl 3 port comp with side ports also. NO bbl holes

gun "2 4.25" bbl same 3 port comp with side ports, also 2 1/8" bbl holes.

Mixed brass once fired, 115 gr montana gold fmj bullets. Loaded 1.16. Federal Small rifle primers

First load 8.0 grains

Gun 1 avg 1340 fps = 154.1 pf

Gun 2 avg 1249 fps = 143.6 pf

Not enough by any means but oh my was this soft shooting. It did operate both guns.

Second load 8.2 grains

Gun 1 avg 1410 fps = 162.1 pf

Gun 2 avg 1320 fps = 151.8 pf

Still not there, but still soft. Nice dot tracking

Third Load 8.5 grains

Gun 1 avg 1468 fps = 168.8 pf

Gun 2 avg 1383 fps = 159.0 pf

Made major in the longer gun easily with no ports, still very soft shooting. Case still has a large amount of space left to load up. Pressure signs don't look bad. I am going to keep working on this a bit. I would like to get it 168 with the shorter gun.

Other load if you can find it that really works the comp well and makes major clearly

11.1 grains wc 818

Gun 1 1559 fps = 179 pf

Gun 2 1475 fps = 169.6 pf

This one works the gun. It is loud and has a hell of a felt impact anywhere but directly behind the gun. It is flat shooting though. It almost feels like a minor load even at 179 pf. I am amazed and if I can find more of this powder will keep using it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Ok, so had some AA #5 from back in the days of 9*21.

Decided to give it a try and see what I could come up with.

Chrono'd in both guns

gun 1 5.2" bbl 3 port comp with side ports also. NO bbl holes

gun "2 4.25" bbl same 3 port comp with side ports, also 2 1/8" bbl holes.

Mixed brass once fired, 115 gr montana gold fmj bullets. Loaded 1.16. Federal Small rifle primers

First load 8.0 grains

Gun 1 avg 1340 fps = 154.1 pf

Gun 2 avg 1249 fps = 143.6 pf

Not enough by any means but oh my was this soft shooting. It did operate both guns.

Second load 8.2 grains

Gun 1 avg 1410 fps = 162.1 pf

Gun 2 avg 1320 fps = 151.8 pf

Still not there, but still soft. Nice dot tracking

Third Load 8.5 grains

Gun 1 avg 1468 fps = 168.8 pf

Gun 2 avg 1383 fps = 159.0 pf

Made major in the longer gun easily with no ports, still very soft shooting. Case still has a large amount of space left to load up. Pressure signs don't look bad. I am going to keep working on this a bit. I would like to get it 168 with the shorter gun.

Other load if you can find it that really works the comp well and makes major clearly

11.1 grains wc 818

Gun 1 1559 fps = 179 pf

Gun 2 1475 fps = 169.6 pf

This one works the gun. It is loud and has a hell of a felt impact anywhere but directly behind the gun. It is flat shooting though. It almost feels like a minor load even at 179 pf. I am amazed and if I can find more of this powder will keep using it.

• 2 months later...

Ok more data same two guns

8.8 AA #5 still shooting montana gold 115's

Long gun - average 1457.9 for a 167pf load. This was really nice shooting

Short gun - average 1405 a bit of a way off yet

9.0 AA #5

Long gun - 1485 average with a 171 pf. This was SOFT and flat. I am going to play more here

Short gun - average 1444

Pressures looked ok.

Some True Blue data 115's

8.6 grains true blue average

Long gun-1487 with almost no standard deviation. This gave me a 171pf. I want to try more of these loads out

Short gun - 1434 a long way to go

Have some other data but pressure signs get scary. If you wana know some dumb stuff I tried. pm me. I hit 1600 fps with a load.

• 1 month later...

I run spacers.

when I shot 9mm I used accurate #7 and worked great with 121 but I never tried 115's and never tried #5.

Do you know what your load was?

I would have to look at my log when I get home . Getting old and memory does not work like it used to. Seems like it was in the 9.+ range.

I am shooting super now with 124's cause thats all I could get last time I bought bullets. With 124's 11.5 A#7 No barrel holes.

Edited by mcattack

oldtrooper,

Hes refering to spacers in the magazine. STI mags need spacers to position the round properly (slightly forward) so they feed 100% of the time.

I run spacers.

Edited by yoshidaex

As Yoshi said. Due to the shape of the indentations in STI mags, in order to get them run the right way with 9mm loads some of us are putting spacers at the back of the magazine. These spacers position the round a little bit forward allowing the case to ride on the indentation. Without the spacer in place the bullet actually rides on the indentation instead of the case. This causes a stacking problem in the magazines. Can cause binding problems, and nose dive problems.