Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to best set up STI mags for limited?

BR

Hi All-

What is the hot mag set up for STI for limited?

I'm guessing 140 mm STI tubes. But, what followers, springs and basepads should I go with for most reliable, most capacity, and stay USPSA legal? Gracias.

-br

I've got about 18-20 mags for the SV .40s I use.

They ALL have Dawson basepads unless they're shorter than 140mm.

The STIs have Gram's springs and followers (for now).

The SVs all have Wolff springs and SV red followers.

They all work great.

Rumor has it you can take an SV 130mm mag and find a certain basepad from California

that will allow it to hold 21 rounds. I get 19-20 in all the others.

STI tubes, tuned (because they NEED it), ISMI springs, Dawson Competition followers and Dawson basepads. 19 rounds, as reliable as a 40 mag gets and they hold up for an incredible round count with nothing but cleaning. I have a few 20 round magazines, and can count the times I have needed to reload into a full 20 rounder on one hand with some fingers left. I still keep a couple around, but I would want at least 4 absolutely rock solid mags before I worried about getting a 20 or a 21 rounder. I use an SV tube with a Dawson pad and Grams kit for 20 round mags, most will hold a reloadable 20. The last couple batches of SV mags I have done needed some help too, lips were way off and some seam issues inside.

I've got several combinations, but the one I like the best is an STI tube, polished/tuned, Grams spring and follower with a Grams 4mm basepad. I've got some with the same tube, spring/follower and Dawson pads, but they don't seat quite as easily as the ones with the Grams pads. The above all hold 20 rounds reloadable and reliable. Now that I've read this I'm wondering about a 21 round mag :blink:

Standard mags I use STI 140's with a Grams follower and 4mm basepad. Gets me 20 rounds reloadable most of the time.

I think the hot setup for 21 is a Rescomp tube with SPS followers and a Grams basepad...

Matt is correct, the "hot set-up" for 21 round re-loadables is an SPS tube. they are difficult to work with, took them over 3 months to get me my mags even tho they charged me right away.

I believe that DP has something else figured out to get the same results. I am kinda outta the Limited loop, as I am now only shooting SS.

STI tubes, tuned (because they NEED it), ISMI springs, Dawson Competition followers and Dawson basepads. 19 rounds, as reliable as a 40 mag gets and they hold up for an incredible round count with nothing but cleaning.

I assume this is with the Dawson +2 basepads? I have broken three Grams pads and want to go with Dawson but all I can find are +1's online...did Dawson stop making the +2 or is 19 reloadable with this combination doable with the +1 pad.

Thanks.

Paul

Paul, that is with the +1 Dawson pad. They have PLENTY of room left to reload easily. AFAIK, Dawson did stop making the +2 pad, just not a lot of need for them. The Grams 4mm is the longest pad you can put on an STI or SV 40 tube and get it to gauge. I broke one over the weekend also, it happens. Send them to him and he will replace them, if you stick with them you will want to keep a couple extra on hand.

So I keep reading "tuning", but how exactly does one do that? Out of 6 140mm STI tubes, 1 doesn't drop free, and only 2 can hold 20, with Dawson +1's, and Grams spring/followers.

So I'm assuming the other 4 need to be "tuned." I don't mind sticking the tube that doesn't drop free in the bench vice, but...what, just squeeze (side-to-side? front-back?) for a while? All of hte mag lips are to spec, and I've polished the insides as best as I can....

Thx

Boo, getting 20 rounds in an STI tube with Dawson pads isn't going to happen with every tube, they are just too inconsistent. I am sure you have them numbered, use 20 when you need 20 and 19 everywhere else. 19 RELIABLE rounds is better than any count that isn't 110% reliable.

Tuning, to me, involves shaping the tube correctly. Inside dimensions are as important as outside dimensions and they vary also on factory tubes. I made dies and inserts to shape them. The vise only lets you make something smaller.....

Standard mags I use STI 140's with a Grams follower and 4mm basepad. Gets me 20 rounds reloadable most of the time.

I think the hot setup for 21 is a Rescomp tube with SPS followers and a Grams basepad...

I hope they are better quality and more reliable than the SPS mags!

Boo, getting 20 rounds in an STI tube with Dawson pads isn't going to happen with every tube, they are just too inconsistent. I am sure you have them numbered, use 20 when you need 20 and 19 everywhere else. 19 RELIABLE rounds is better than any count that isn't 110% reliable.

Tuning, to me, involves shaping the tube correctly. Inside dimensions are as important as outside dimensions and they vary also on factory tubes. I made dies and inserts to shape them. The vise only lets you make something smaller.....

Thx, H -- makes sense. I figured there was more to tuning than just a judicious squeeeeeeeeze, here and there. :)

I do have them numbered, but 'cause I'm a water-head, I only numbered the base pads. Lasted all of one match, before they got jumbled.

I can live with the current status-quo: 19 reloadable and one or two that can hold 20, so on some stages I can start with 20+1.

Boo, you aren't the only waterhead, I R 1 2 :D

Mark the tubes where the basepad will cover it, and the follower on the bottom. Scratch it in with a scribe or something, doesn't have to be pretty. Then you can take them all apart at one time to clean them or just look at your notebook and see how many rounds are on each magazine and spring, etc.

I can live with the current status-quo: 19 reloadable and one or two that can hold 20, so on some stages I can start with 20+1.

That pretty much sums up where mine are. Out of 10/11 mags, maybe half will run with 20, but I usually only load 19.

*Mixture of STI and SV tubes, Grams guts, and (mostly) Dawson +1's.

I quit messing with the mags when I got them reliable with 19 reloadable and the occassional 20.

Most of what we shoot should be good to go with 19+1 unless you plan on missing or shooting no-shoots.

+1 for micky. If you cannot win with 19 in a mag, you arn't going to win. I thought the sps mags were 140mm w/o a pad. Will they box with a dawson +1 pad? Remember, it's not the arrow but the indian shooting it.