Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Local monthly match management

Can any match directors or the like here share with us how you run your matches. I talking of everything to stage selection (including round count, mandatory reloads, props, multiple string stages), set up crews, RO's, scorekeepers, scoring (electronically) tear down, in progress management, pasters, brass pickers, tear down, the works.

How much time should a monthly 4-5 stage 90-125 round match take in terms of time, set up, tear down? Also, can you share some less than ideal experieces you had and what you did to change them?

Being one who travels and has shot matches at several clubs in my own state, and several out of state matches, I've seen clubs do things several different ways. There are alot of ideas I'd like to suggest we try at our local matches that I think will add to the enjoyment shared by all.

At my club we set up a match much like you describe every month. In the winter when we get 20-30 shooters we start set-up between 8:30-9, try to be shooting by a little after ten, and are usually packed away by 3 or so. In the summer, we start a little earlier with set up and because we get more shooters and design more complex courses, we finish closer to four. It helps that there are now three regular stage designers at this club --- who each have a pit and who each design and take charge of building a stage every month. Two of those stage designers already have trailers with a full load of equipment ---- six walls, supports, target stands, poppers, a swinger or two, etc. stored in sheds at the range. That means that they just have to hook the trailer to a golfcart and pull it to their pit. That speeds the process up ---- and means that the match director just has to pick and set the classifier and arrange for one more stage to be designed and built by a guest designer. When we don't have a lot of shooters we may have just two or three squads and skip a stage between squads.

big dave,

at our club http://www.memphis-ssa.com we shoot six stages in three large berm areas. we use one of the stages as a rifle or shotgun side match. we also shoot twice a month.

the schedule usually runs like this:

1. 8:30-11:00 am set-up time for the stages. several shooter set the stages up.

2. 10:30-11:00 am sign-in

3. 11:00 am walk through..everyone walks all the stages and are verbablly inform of the stage procedure.

4. after the walk through, we split into 3 squads, one for each of the berm areas, this keep a free stage open to act a buffer from the other squads. if there is an average of 25 shooters, where usually finished by 3:00 pm. those who wish to shoot the side rifle/shotgun match do so then.

5. there is a second run through for people that want to shoot a second gun. the usually finish around 4:00 pm

6. when the second gun is finished, those people pull the targets off the target stands. that's all the clean up we have to do because the range is private and is locked down at night.

7. i do the scoring on mondays and have it posted on the web site before noon.

this system works great for our club. and many of the clubs around the mid-south. we have trained, by example, our members that everyone ro's, tapes, picks brass, resets targets, and scores, except if their on deck.

this system was the replacement of a system where there was one person who set the stage up, ro'd everyone through the stage, then he would go the other stages. then he would break down the stage.

and you know how they shot, don't you. :angry:

lynn jones

Our club meets for breakfast at 0800 on match day, then goes out to the range and sets up stages. One rifle and one shotgun stage, nominal start 1100, then the 5-stage pistol match (2 stages are usually a re-dress of the rifle and shotgun stages) starting at 1300.

We have five hard chargers, and then another four or five folks who will work if they are there. Tape/score/RO is run by the senior (or more dynamic personality) on each squad, scores are done by our ace score guy (wonder why he always has that slightly harried look?). Usual turnout is between 30 and 45.

That schedule was carried over from the days before we ran the rifle/shotgun stages prior to the pistol match...since we are hosting the Texas State Three-Gun Championship ( http://www.sanangelogunclub.org/action_pis...stol/ts3gun.htm , a few slots still available, plug plug), we decided that we had better practice both running and shooting long guns :D

What I discovered works a bit better (after playing Match Director the last two months) is to rough out the stages the afternoon before. Get the walls and steel set, and the target stands pre-positioned. Then all the hard core workers have to do is set the stands, stick, and skin the stages. Gives me a chance to make pretty stage descriptions at home on the computer instead of scribbling something with a leaky pen in the drifting sand out on the range ;)

Alex

We usually have between 20 to 30 shooters per month. I have a good setup crew and we meet on Saturday and setup all the stages, minus the paper targets. We get everything ready, scoresheets, painted targets, etc... We meet 2 hours before the match on Sunday, staple all the targets, do another walkthrough and make sure everything looks good. Setup usually takes us 2 hours Saturday, 1 hour Sunday.

As to the stages themselves, I'll pull out a classifer that isn't broken, somewhat challenging, and maybe one that one of the area clubs has not shot in a while. The other stages are a mixture of field courses and speed shoots. I will try to have a mix of start positions, mandatory reloads, etc... I try to mix everything up as much as possible. If it's all the same, people get bored. I try to have a good mix of steel. Also, my setup crew designs stages also. We look at all the stages we have, and pick some from our collective that looks like it will provide fun and a good mix.

As for tear down, whichever squad is shooting the stage last gets to tear it down and just stack stuff. We will come back behind everybody and put it up. Doesn't take 30 minutes that way.

I have to say, since I have been the IPSC director at our club, it's been pretty smooth sailing. We get more and more shooters per month, so I must be doing something right.

Around here it's 4-5 stages including classifier, ~100-125 rounds. 30-40 shooters. $15-20. Setup is the afternoon before if helpers can be rounded up, or first thing in the morning if not (most of the clubs shoot Saturdays). Shooter's meeting at 9:30, hammer down at 10 (officially-- sometimes times vary, especially if setup isn't done). We have RO's "imbedded" with the squads and the only shoot-throughs are the stats folks. Typically we're done by 3 or so. We ask everybody to help tear down the stage they finish on. We don't have match reshoots, although shooters can (few do) redo the classifier with a different gun by paying an extra few $.

I'm currently President of one of our local clubs. Here Pres. also means Match Director, Stage Designer, Setup guy and whatever else.

There are generally 20-25 shooters, about half coming from out of town. We've had a lot of problems getting reliable help for setup, and in fact this year have begun paying a set up crew. Just before I took over as Pres. the club voted to allow $50 per month for up to three people to get stages set up. Currently we're using myself (I'm free) and two very enthusiastic paid helpers.

We usually shoot 4-5 stages including the classifier, 90-120 rds.

So far paying helpers has been working, I haven't had to set anything up alone yet, but the hot ugly weather isn't here either.

Al

I'll throw my two cents in.....

We normally shoot 5 - 6 stages, and set-up the big stuff on Saturday afternoon. We hang targets and tweek the stages on Sunday morning. Shooting begins at 10:00 AM. There are usually 4 or 5 of us that are consistent.... the MD, the Asst MD, and a couple of others. Monthly match designs are assigned to one of us, and with that comes preparation of any hardcover targets, special props etc. The MD does our stats, but that is his choice. Tear down is generally the same group of us, although occassionally people will hang around and help (which is always greatly appreciated :) ).

We are normally fortunate to have enough certified RO's to run the squads, and they travel (and shoot) with the squads. However, I will say that I hate this because you lose consistency on the stage, and personally, I have a hard time being both a shooter and an RO. We do walk the RO staff through all the stages once they are set to double check the stage, and talk about any weird things on the stage (unfortunately, it still does not insure consistency). When we have a stage that is a little out of the ordinary, we will fix an RO to that stage. Of course, you loose the ability to shoot the match, but you do insure consistency and safety on the stage.

Overall, this seems to work pretty well, but it does hurt when one of the core people can not make setup or the match.

===============

Oops, I forgot to add that our range staff/helpers shoot for free (although, I think that everyone would help out without the match fee waiver.....)