Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does anybody rotate their guns in matches?

Revopop

I've been shooting USPSA for about 2 years and dabbled in IDPA, and now I've found a local IDPA club that I really like and plan to go regularly.

The thought occurred to me to use a different gun from month to month to sharpen my skills with all of them. I like that the IDPA divisions and mag capacity limitations allow for a much wider range of guns to be competitive. I also like that there is a separate division for Moonclipped revolvers. The last time I checked, I only know one person outside of USPSA shooters who have a moonclipped revolver, and he's a rabid S&W collector.

The first one I went to there was last month, and I shot the Wilson KZ45 that I shoot in USPSA L10. This month I shot my nearly stock Glock 35 that I used to use in USPSA Limited. I think the next one I'll use will be my girlfriend's BHP, (it's a hot range so the mag disconnect and "hammer down, holster" is a non-issue), then after that, SIG 225, and then a 3-inch S&W Model 64 which should be off layaway by then.

I've been known to be a "gun of the week" kind of guy from time to time. :rolleyes:

This is an excellent way to become a well rounded shooter and lots of fun. :cheers:

If your goals are to win every match then you should pick one and practice. ;)

I'm going to switch off this year. I'll throw several guns in the back and decide what to shoot when I get to the match. B)

Agree with Bill.

I see people who can switch from gun to gun, week to week and do well. I see a lot more who just think they can. Some of them develop flexibility, some just never settle down. I know one guy who is a snake with a Glock but cannot get up to par with a 1911 or revolver.

I like to stick to the same gun or at least the same action type for a whole season. I am going against that policy right now; I have shot a P226 in SSP for six months but am going back to my 9mm Colt and ESP. I have had all I want of the crunch tick except for a bureau drawer gun for safety if suddenly awakened.

I will likely shoot different 1911s from time to time and in both ESP and CDP, but they will all be 1911s. I have a couple compact derivatives for carry so the action will be the same in all circumstances.

i've started shooting my SSR gun at each monthly match this year..and there are 2 state matches a year i will shoot the glock in esp and ssp,but missed both of those this year...fun to switch around...

At our last few club matches, I've shot the Glock 35 in SSP and SIG P226ST 357SIG in ESP.

Some matches I've shot the same Glock in both SSP and ESP in one match (fine per IDPA rules).

'Course... those (and occasional USPSA matches) usually tend to be my only practice time each month...

I think switching guns is fine if your main goal is to have fun and not win. Otherwise there's a high probability that performance will suffer.

That is not true at all. I switch all the time and it is not the design of firearm it is the skill of the shooter. There are some shooters you could give ay firearm and they would still kick the crap out of everyone.

Besides with a collection like this...

Group_foto_Small.JPG

Why would you not want to shoot them all the time!!

Edited by theknightoflight

Knightof flight, some can and some can't. I have a fairly large collection of pistols and I love to shoot them. I was shooting bowling pin matches every week for over three years and complained to a friend how I was shooting much slower than before. He commented that I was shooting a different pistol almost every match (all were 1911's) and it probably had an effect on my shooting. I went back to my pin gun and he was right...I started improving.

I shoot USPSA and IDPA for fun, however it would be nice to do well occasionally.

The same shirt won't fit everyone, but it will fit quite a few.

Buddy

Knightof flight, some can and some can't. I have a fairly large collection of pistols and I love to shoot them. I was shooting bowling pin matches every week for over three years and complained to a friend how I was shooting much slower than before. He commented that I was shooting a different pistol almost every match (all were 1911's) and it probably had an effect on my shooting. I went back to my pin gun and he was right...I started improving.

I shoot USPSA and IDPA for fun, however it would be nice to do well occasionally.

The same shirt won't fit everyone, but it will fit quite a few.

Buddy

Very true. I think it is a specific mindset. I have done very well with all of my firearms, but I do notice when I use my XDs I am much better. Oh well I hope to be a superman one day.

That is not true at all. I switch all the time and it is not the design of firearm it is the skill of the shooter.

Perhaps, but....

I don't shoot very much IDPA, but when I do, I mostly use my G35, but sometimes a 1911. I'm the same shooter, but in SSP I'm MA yet in CDP, EX, and I feel that's right -- I'm much more used to the Glock.

And in IDPA, with stages that might have at *most* 12 rounds, and rules that punish speed reloads, etc., you've got to be perfect.

I've reached the conclusion that -- for me, anyway -- it's all about visual patience. With a Glock, I need a lot less of it, because the sights are -- bam -- right there, when I raise the pistol. With a 1911, they're not, so right off the bat, I'm needing to wait out the micro-adjustments necessary to correct the sight picture, for at least a stage or two. <shrug> Then there's everything else -- mag release button, slide release, slim magwell, etc., etc.

But I think, bottom line, it's a very personal journey, especially regarding motivation and reward. Nice firearms are a pleasure, and it's an even greater pleasure to run 'em in competition. :goof:

Yeah, I really want to do it to increase my proficiency with all the guns I shoot. I'm unclassified in IDPA (until next month's match), but I'm just a lowly C shooter in USPSA, so I'm mostly in it for fun at this point.

That is not true at all. I switch all the time and it is not the design of firearm it is the skill of the shooter.

Perhaps, but....

I don't shoot very much IDPA, but when I do, I mostly use my G35, but sometimes a 1911. I'm the same shooter, but in SSP I'm MA yet in CDP, EX, and I feel that's right -- I'm much more used to the Glock.

And in IDPA, with stages that might have at *most* 12 rounds, and rules that punish speed reloads, etc., you've got to be perfect.

I've reached the conclusion that -- for me, anyway -- it's all about visual patience. With a Glock, I need a lot less of it, because the sights are -- bam -- right there, when I raise the pistol. With a 1911, they're not, so right off the bat, I'm needing to wait out the micro-adjustments necessary to correct the sight picture, for at least a stage or two. <shrug> Then there's everything else -- mag release button, slide release, slim magwell, etc., etc.

But I think, bottom line, it's a very personal journey, especially regarding motivation and reward. Nice firearms are a pleasure, and it's an even greater pleasure to run 'em in competition. :goof:

I used too shoot quite a bit before I moved to Nebraska(they don't think to highly of IDPA here) and I used several different guns SSP, CDP, and mostly ESP but my placing always remained the same. top 5.

Yeah, I really want to do it to increase my proficiency with all the guns I shoot. I'm unclassified in IDPA (until next month's match), but I'm just a lowly C shooter in USPSA, so I'm mostly in it for fun at this point.

I am only classed as B in Production and Expert in ESP highest score of 101.51 on the classifier.

+1 - I enjoy switching up just for the heck of it...

+1 - I enjoy switching up just for the heck of it...

+1