Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP-15 V-Tac

betterment

I am scratching the money together to order my JP by July 1 and am fairly certain I want a JP-15 Vtac mod. According to the website they are cheaper then a "normal" JP-15 but with the exception of the comp the vtac seems to have more accessories with less cosmetic detail (I am under the impression that it will still be a very nice looking gun none the less). What am I sacrificing if anything? I really don't want to spend the money on the CTR-02 but I am wondering if there is a detail I have overlooked or if there is something I should be considering before I place my order. I just want to hear that I am not doing something stupid I suppose. :unsure:

Phil

JP is quality stuff. I think you're making a good decision. I think your selection will, if anything, be a little less "finicky" and will still be a good shooter. I wish I was talking from experience, since I don't have a JP AR. But I've had other dealings with them, and they are top notch all the way.

I've been shooting 3-gun for 9 years starting with a Bushmaster 16" V-Match. Later I used a JP upper on a Bushmaster lower to shoot Open class and was very satisfied with the JP quality and accuracy. Two years ago, after USPSA came up with Tactical, class I bought a JP-15 upper with the V-Tac fore-end, 18" med barrel w 1:9 twist, Aluminum LMOS, and BC Tactical comp. Today, I would not change a thing on my rifle. I'm using a BM lower with JP trigger. I have shot a 3/4" group at 200 yards using this rifle and Sierra 69 gr Matchkings.

I've got a CTR-02 and I love it. Any product you get from JP will be top notch. If I get another AR it will def. be from him.

Here is my current AR:

Riflenew002.jpg

How do you like your stock? That is the stock I was really looking at getting. Is it the long or the short version? Any advice on that? I will talk to JP of course when I place my order but I am just trying to get my ducks in a row.

I got the short one and think I should have gotten the long one actually. For me the only position that works is fully extended. I'm 5'8" tall if that helps. I may change it out in the future to the longer one but I'm not sure because fully extended the short one is great. I can't say enough positive things about this gun. The trigger is amazing and the gun handles so well. I don't have a ton of AR experience but wouldn't trade this gun for many others.

Pete

I am scratching the money together to order my JP by July 1 and am fairly certain I want a JP-15 Vtac mod. According to the website they are cheaper then a "normal" JP-15 but with the exception of the comp the vtac seems to have more accessories with less cosmetic detail (I am under the impression that it will still be a very nice looking gun none the less). What am I sacrificing if anything?

I'm actually planning to get a JP15 VTac upper.

The JP15 VTac is geared more for "tactical" applications than most other JP15 and CTR02 variations.

Functionally the biggest difference is in the comp (as you noted) and barrel. The VTac has a 16" CHROME LINED barrel with a short gas system.

The regular (more competition oriented) versions have stainless steel barrels and usually a 20" gas system. The VTac with it's shortened gas system is going to be more harsh, have more felt recoil (due to the lack of a comp and the gas system) and the recoil also tends to be "faster" feeling. More of a POP than a light nudge to the shoulder.

Also chrome lining tends to degrade accuracy. But it is supposed to give you a longer lasting and more durable barrel. Mil Spec M16's have chrome lined barrels.

I have a bunch of AR-15s and bought a CTR-02 last year, it is without a doubt the best of the bunch. Call John and talk to him about what you are going to use the gun for and build it the way he suggests. You will be happy with what you get if you listen to him.

Got them both. 1 for 3 gun. 1 for LEO work. Very hard to tell the diference outside optics. might want to all Kyle Lamb from V-Tac to discuss other options as well. he is VERY qualified to answer any questions you might have.

pat