Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What amont of gas is necessary to make the comp work properly

1911jerry

I am working up a load with N350. My barrel is a 38super with a 3 port comp, and 3 holes in the barrel.

I do not feel much difference yet as I move up from 7.0 to 8.0 granis of n350. No signs of pressure yet using a SRP.

I plan on loading some at 8.2, 8.4 and 8.6 and try them out tomorrow.

My question is, when approaching major power factor, what will the comp do, that is does not do at minor PF?

Thanks

With my gun I want a dot with certain lift. I can make it shoot where the dot doesn't lift, it just gets fuzzy like a vibration and then goes crisp again, but I just cannot call shots without seeing a definite lift of the dot. I shoot a load with the dot going almost to the top of the lens, and I watched the dot bounce early on. Now I watch it lift so I know where the shot went and prep as it is coming down to break the shot as it lands where I want it. Don't get too caught up in loads, get one that tracks the dot where you can see what is happening at major, and shoot the snot out of it. When you get some time behind the gun then play with loads a little.

The above advise isn't what I did, but it is what I would do now knowing what I know now.....

Unless you're loading a 115gr bullet, ypu probably don't need to go anywhere near 8.6gr of N350.

The comp won't magically start doing anything very different, but the feel and dot movement will change some.

My comp seems to really start working when I get 125's running about 1380 fps. I can tell a big difference between 1350 and 1380. IMO, with 350, you will find a place where your comp will really start barking and noticeably working better. There won't be much difference at minor PF's. Of course YMMV.