Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WV Shooters

Sestock

Looking at a map it would make sense to move the state into Area 8. The state is bordered on three sides by Area 8. The eastern two most counties are classified as extended suburbs of DC. Right now there is only one club in the state. Moving the state into Area 8 may help improve the level of participation in the state. Adding WV to A8 would square up the area.

Would you support moving WV to Area 8?

Edited by Sestock

The answer likely depends on where folks live in the state; for me the answer is easy, I'd support the move. I'm about an hour from most of the Pittsburgh area clubs so I shoot probably 90%+ of my local matches in Area 8.

Gary,

I have thinking about this for several years. It appears that most of the shooters in WV shoot matches in Area 8. The state is bordered on three sides by Area 8. As stated above if you live in Martinsburg or anywhere on the I-68 corridor you are within in a short drive to the states in Area 8. If you live in Morgantown, Wheeling or Weirton you are within driving distance of the Pittsburgh area clubs. Most of the shooters that I know are already shooting in Area 8. Adding WV to Area 8 would benefit the the members of the state IMO.

I know of shooters that drive from Charleston, Clarksburg, Fairmont, Wheeling, Morgantown, and Weirton that regularly travel to the Pittsburgh area to shoot matches.

One of the clubs in the WPA section has a match director and most of the staff living in WV.

Doug

Edited by Sestock

I dont see how changing area is going to increase participation.

Maybe having a closer support network of clubs would encourage shooters to form more clubs. Most of the people I know from WV would probably consider A8 more of a home than A5.

If there are that many WV shooters who are traveling to Area 8 to shoot, it seems the best approach would be to form a club of some kind in Northern WV. This would allow me to appoint a WV Section Coordinator and start having more of a presence in the state.

This would allow them to shoot more by having a club in their own state and still travel over to Area 8.

Gary

Do the 6-8 WV shooter really care what Area their state is in ??

I know that most of them shoot in Ohio too. (I am pretty sure I've RO'ed all but one of them this year.)

What would do WV some good is to get some ranges opened up shooting USPSA matches.

I don't know why not ask the states' only shooter, Steve Moneypenny, what he thinks? :lol::ph34r:

Just because the other 70 of us aren't GM's doesn't mean we don't count.... :P:D:lol:

Seriously though, after thinking about this some more I may have to flip-flop a little... :ph34r:

I'm part of the 'staff' Doug talks about living in WV but helping where/when I can to put on a match in PA. I only drive about 30 minutes to the club one way; there's a closer club in WV that could possibly host a USPSA match but my understanding is that their board is happy with their IDPA matches and isn't interested in that 'IPSC stuff'. Any way after that club there isn't another one in the northern panhandle that has the bays to host a USPSA match to my knowledge. Given the long drives necessary to get to the southern part of the state from my neck of the woods (New Cumberland, WV) I'd just as soon hit one of the WPA clubs or head out to C-ville or Rayner's than go to someplace like Morgantown, Clarksburg or the Charleston/Huntington areas (if there were any clubs).

While on one hand I'd personally like to be able to participate in the voting, etc. in Area 8 because I spend most of my time there, on the other hand I don't know that changing Area affiliation would really make much difference. Given that there's only 71 classified uspsa shooters listed on the uspsa site (which may or not mean there's that many shooters), there's only 3 IDPA clubs, and I believe only 1 or so NRA Action pistol clubs there's not really much of a base of practical shooters to tap into from the sounds of it.

Area 5, 8, or whatever I'm happy to live somewhere that within a 2 hour drive I can shoot every weekend day in the summer if time permits regardless of if there's a USPSA club in my state of residence.

Do the 6-8 WV shooter really care what Area their state is in ??

I know that most of them shoot in Ohio too. (I am pretty sure I've RO'ed all but one of them this year.)

I'm either the one that hasn't been out or I make 9.... :lol: One of these day's I'll get back out to play at C-Ville again but the game of life keeps getting in my way the first Sat of each month. :wacko:

I would gladly act as WV section coordinator if we could get more clubs, but i don't have the time, resources or money to start a club, I have tried, but have been strung along by the only club that has the ability to build a facility to host the matches.

I feel we are better served by area 5. here is why. first off the biggest number of WV shooters shoot in Ashland Kentucky, Rayners, near Zanesville, and the club IN WV which is less than a half hour from area 5, and our area 5 director regularly attends these matches. Also, our geographic area for the majority of the state is much more like the clubs in area 5. Kind of sparsely populated in most areas and the country atmosphere, we can't run a club the same way old bridge, E. huntingdon, or fredricksburg would. Mainly because we don't have the experienced match staff and course designers.

AS for support, are you saying that because we are on a different USPSA map that folks from PA wouldn't help out with a club in Morgantown, I know most of you folks and you would as long as we treated you right.

I see absolutely no reason to move WV into area 8. Though i have met the area 8 director quite a few times in travels when i was shooting weekly i saw the area 5 director atleast twice a month.

I don't know about changing areas but how can we as a whole increase our numbers. I live in Follansbee, WV and shoot at McDonald, PA. There are a lot of places like Steubenville, Oh, St. Clairsville, Oh, Weirton, WV, and Wheeling, WV that we as members of USPSA should try and reach out to. How can we get the word out about USPSA and start attracting new members. There are a lot of sportsmans clubs and law enforcement locations between McDonald, PA and Zanesville, Oh and I would bet that most of them have not heard of who we are or what we do.

Take them to a match. There is no better way. if your inconversatioon with them gently bring it up. and offer to take them with you to a match. If you have a spare gun and gear take it with you. and no matter what be supportive and positive about yourself and their performance.

Have the clubs do a "bring a new shooter shoot free" day or atleast half price... maybe shoot for $5. just enough to cover costs.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not support the move. I live in Parkersburg about 15 mins away from Ohio and roughly 2 hrs away from Kentucky and a good 3 to 4 hrs from PA. West Virginia's only club is like 30 mins from Kentucky and like 10 from the OH border. I have shot several area 5s and many state matches that reside in area 5 they are close and are really good shoots. I may be a area 5 pro kinda guy but i think it should stay the same. The reason that there are so few clubs in WV is not because of the shooters but more of the laws in WV. In WV you can get sued for everything you got if someones not watching whats going on and has an accident. So if you want more clubs and shoots change the law but don't move the state into area 8. In my opinion it would do no good, and the last time i checked majority of the population is west not east in WV.

Hunter

you bring many good points to the table young blood.

The WV laws really need changed our state is very much behind the times on protecting our insurance companies and all business in general. No companies will come into WV because of this. Our Automobile insurance is sky high because of it many companies (GMAC, Liberty) and a few others won't touch WV with a stick.