Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA "postal match" is on

Jane

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jane,

Hi could you include Tim Bolden on your email list (idpa9mm@aol.com) He is our MD at Cleveland Rifle Club in TN. Hopefully we can play too!

Robin

Robin,

I don't like sending email to somebody who doesn't know me (although I think this project already has made me the Spam Queen...LOL...) I only sent emails about this to people who've bought my scoring software.

Why don't you email him a link to this thread or to the match info page.

Jane,

Hi could you include Tim Bolden on your email list (idpa9mm@aol.com) He is our MD at Cleveland Rifle Club in TN. Hopefully we can play too!

Robin

Robin,

I don't like sending email to somebody who doesn't know me (although I think this project already has made me the Spam Queen...LOL...) I only sent emails about this to people who've bought my scoring software.

Why don't you email him a link to this thread or to the match info page.

Thats OK I'll let him know, thanks Robin

I think our club is going to run this this next weekend. i can hardly wait. What a great idea, maybe National HQ will see this and figure something to do on a larger scale.

Looks pretty large already.....

Since the COF did not mention that concealment was required, I was wondering how many have already shot this match without concealment. Some clubs adopt the "concealment optional" attitude in the summer months for everything but sanctioned matches. Even if you normally use concealment would you use it on the Anti's Cafe stage? On the cafe stage you start with the gun in the box so why concealment. Stage 2 and 4 are pretty much just a running gun fight from the previous stages so there is no secret about your gun anyway.

A club I'll be shooting at this weekend will shoot the match. How many have shot it without concealment?

Since the COF did not mention that concealment was required, I was wondering how many have already shot this match without concealment. Some clubs adopt the "concealment optional" attitude in the summer months for everything but sanctioned matches. Even if you normally use concealment would you use it on the Anti's Cafe stage? On the cafe stage you start with the gun in the box so why concealment. Stage 2 and 4 are pretty much just a running gun fight from the previous stages so there is no secret about your gun anyway.

A club I'll be shooting at this weekend will shoot the match. How many have shot it without concealment?

All IDPA rules apply. Cover must be worn on all four stages.

Co-Postal MD PPC Eljay here. All rules apply, cover must be worn. By following the rule book, we can keep the feild level. Aren't we supposed to do that any way?

I've updated the web page to try to make that clear, Eljay.

Update:

As of today, Walt has entered scores for 56 shooters.

Some of those are tentative... if he doesn't receive an IDPA number for those people by the July 31 deadline they'll be deleted from the match.

See who's shot so far.

Per the match directors' request, scores will only be posted after all entries have been received.

Edited by Jane

I see at least 1 shooter who has shot the match in two different divisions. This seems to defeat the purpose if you ask me. I guess anyone can setup the stages and practice them so it may be a mute point...

I see at least 1 shooter who has shot the match in two different divisions. This seems to defeat the purpose if you ask me. I guess anyone can setup the stages and practice them so it may be a mute point...

This is a first effort.

The organizers of this match made the rules. On that web page, it says

Shooters can participate in more than one division. Shooters can compete only once in each division.

No doubt everybody will learn from this experience. I hope there'll be more such matches, and perhaps the rules will evolve over time.

Edited by Jane

That would be me. I am not trying to get over on anyone. The fact of the matter is that I shot the postal match at PPC in CDP. The following weekend I shot the Somerset match in ESP and had no clue that they were going to run the postal match until I showed up that day. If it really is an issue I'll ask Walt Jones to disregard my ESP time which was 15 seconds faster than the time I posted in CDP.

rubberneck, I can see how that would happen. I'm not that concerned about it one way or the other, but my experience says that someone might have a problem with it. Like Jane says, this is a work in progress and I want to see it be successful. The rules should address this one way or the other. Keeping your first score seems like a logical solution to me.

Just thinking out loud here, IDPA might consider something like this as another way for folks to get moved up in class. Call it a mini-classifier or something. If you shoot 2 mini's at a certain level you get moved up...

rubberneck, I can see how that would happen. I'm not that concerned about it one way or the other, but my experience says that someone might have a problem with it. Like Jane says, this is a work in progress and I want to see it be successful. The rules should address this one way or the other. Keeping your first score seems like a logical solution to me.

Just thinking out loud here, IDPA might consider something like this as another way for folks to get moved up in class. Call it a mini-classifier or something. If you shoot 2 mini's at a certain level you get moved up...

Hot Brass the fact of the matter is that you could disregard both my scores and it wouldn't matter to me. Since we aren't playing for money, prizes or trophies but rather "bragging rights" I would still know what my two times were and I will know where I fall in both of those groups. There are four clubs within 70 minutes of my house. Three of the four are running the postal match in their monthly matches and I shoot at all four with regularity. Just in my normal IDPA travels I could easily shoot the match three times with no other motivation other than wanting to get out and shoot a match.

I could understand how that looks to guys that don't have the chance to shoot it more than once. I guess the best way is to only count the score from the very first match and disregard all the rest regardless of division.

Edited by rubberneck

We're shooting the Postal Match stages at my club on July 7th. We're really looking forward to it.

The stages are very clearly written and very precise. That is why I'm so disappointed that there are still going to be clubs out there that s*&@w the pooch on this. There's a video posted on glocktalk. It's a good video of all four stages; however, it also clearly shows that the club is using a huge padded gun case on Stage 3 instead of the IDPA box that the stage calls for. For most that would shave several seconds off of their time and it defeats the purpose of the box which is to keep all guns legal.

Thread

Video

edited to fix link

Edited by Steve J

Steve, the video was cool, having shot the match twice it's like da'ja vu all over again. Hot B. as I posted on IDPA Forum just like any match that pre-posts their COFs there's nothing stopping anyone from setting it up and practicing. But that's the thought behind not posting the running score sheet. We also want to make sure it's done in the context of a "real match" not just two guys out on the range. If they pre-post the National stages don't think I'm not shooting that as many times as I can. If some one can be postal 5 gun champ, go for it! Like Pete said when we shot the match at Somerset we did not know it was on, I do not have a second score because I brought my ESP stuff again.

Lenny, Postal Co-MD

Steve, the video was cool, having shot the match twice it's like da'ja vu all over again. Hot B. as I posted on IDPA Forum just like any match that pre-posts their COFs there's nothing stopping anyone from setting it up and practicing. But that's the thought behind not posting the running score sheet. We also want to make sure it's done in the context of a "real match" not just two guys out on the range. If they pre-post the National stages don't think I'm not shooting that as many times as I can. If some one can be postal 5 gun champ, go for it! Like Pete said when we shot the match at Somerset we did not know it was on, I do not have a second score because I brought my ESP stuff again.

Lenny, Postal Co-MD

No problem Lenny. I guess I did not see the additional rule "Shooters can participate in more than one division. Shooters can compete only once in each division." The first time I went to Jane's web site.

The stages are very clearly written and very precise. That is why I'm so disappointed that there are still going to be clubs out there that s*&@w the pooch on this. There's a video posted on glocktalk. It's a good video of all four stages; however, it also clearly shows that the club is using a huge padded gun case on Stage 3 instead of the IDPA box that the stage calls for. For most that would shave several seconds off of their time and it defeats the purpose of the box which is to keep all guns legal.

Steve

Thanks for the video link. It would also be nice if the shooter in the video didn't aim the gun at his legs and feet when he went to move from the first set of barrels to the second set on stage 2. :o

HB,

Much as we all no doubt agree about not "changing" rules after something has started, I have passed on to Lenny and Ken (who put this one together) a few questions I've seen here, and have updated that web page a few times with clarifications... the sort of things that would probably arise at a shooters' meeting at the start of a regular match. The multiple divisions question was one of the first. The most recent update a couple of days ago was in response to a question about whether concealment is required.

From the outset, that page has linked to the original thread on IDPAForum.com and advised to check that forum for further details.

FWIW, my IDPA scoring software (the current beta, which I hope will be out in the next month or so) gives MDs the option as to whether second gun entries place or not in matches. I know some local clubs do that one way and some do it another. IDPA rules don't allow second guns at all for sanctioned matches.

I think this postal match a neat idea... and that most folks aren't out to be range lawyers. It's hard to put together a set of "rules" that some people won't find ambiguous and others won't try to manipulate... just look at the IDPA and USPSA rulebooks... ;)

I personally was quite skeptical when Lenny first proposed this.

Part of the fun of major matches is that they tend to involve stages that could NOT be easily duplicated at a bunch of local clubs - whether due to props, movers, time-and-money... whatever...

And for past years, Nationals has been 16 to 18 stages. A lot of local clubs don't have that much space.

Not to mention there's an advantage of having John Doe SO-ing EVERY guy who shoots stage 5.

And fewer potential honesty questions if competitors can watch each other shoot, rather than relying on the signature of somebody they don't know from thousands of miles away.

I'm sure with help this forum could come up with at least 47 reasons this wouldn't work as a major championship match format

Obviously, I was wrong. A lot of people seem interested in participating, and the CoFs Lenny and Ken put together are ones that can be accurately duplicated at various clubs.

Each of us has his or her own standards as to what's important. If somebody wants to do what he can to be highest on the posted results, so be it. There are other folks (who aren't IDPA members and/or aren't classified) who will shoot the match and not see their scores posted, but can compare how they did with those scores that are online for their own edification.

Whoever picks up the ball to put the next postal match together will, I hope, learn a lot from how this one works out.

BTW, I'm also updating that web page now when I hear from Walt as to how many scores he's received (56 at the moment), so probably not a bad idea to check it from time to time.

Jane

we are going to do our POSTAL match June the 16th,along with a few other stages and a classifier..i'm going to run the postal match at 3 different times 8am/10am/1pm to give those long distance shooters time to get out of bed by noon and drive 25 miles to shoot the match at 1:00pm.......plus we are having hot dogs for lunch.... <_<

crssa_idpahotdogs.bmp

Edited by GmanCdp

I plan to run the Postal on June 16 also.

We are just down the road from GmanCdp's place but I get a number of casual shooters who would not travel even that far to shoot.

I remember back when American Handgunner was running an IPSC Postal. Their best years had up in the thousands of entries from all over the world. I remember feeling like the big frog in a small pond by coming in 11th... out of 41 entries in IPSC Modified, a Division since dropped for lack of interest.

I think all the petty quibbling over details of the First Annual IDPA Postal is unsportsmanlike. Let's everybody do a consientious job of setting, running, and shooting it consistently and just have a good time.