Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

This was weird

Bwana Six-Gun

Tonight I am loading up the last of my spare match ammo for the MS Classic and as is my habit, I run through all the pre-loading ritual of ten powder drops and then weigh a couple before I start seating bullets. Everything is going fine and then about 50 rounds into the session, I have a case come up on station 3 (I'm using a Dillon 650) that has powder running over the top of the case. WTF! I watch the powder bar constantly to make sure it goes in all the way each time, I have the powder check installed on station 3. I don't know how I could have double charged a round. I pull the case and dump the powder and what do I find, a beetle is in the case! How did that get there? The powder measure has the top on at all times, the cannister of powder is closed except when I am adding powder to the hopper. I check the round on station 4 and it has goo inside and only 4.3 instead of 5.0 in it. Now the whoe batch is suspect and will go in the practice box. All I can figure is that the little sucker buzzed in while the case was moving between station 1 & 2. Talk about strange.

Bwana,

There is a very good chance that the beetle was in the brass all the way from the case hopper. I have had pieces of target and pasters and the most hated of all, .22 cases, that have caused the same problem.

Hope you figger it out.

dj

One day out practicing with the Smith 642 using some light reloads, the snubbie locked up solid. Couldn't get the cylinder to rotate or open. Since I was at a public range with a loaded and broken gun I followed decorum and got the manager.

After a few minutes of poking and prodding we noticed that there was something in the cylinder gap. Ran a squib rod in and pushed whatever it was back in the case. Opened the cylinder and out dropped a .22LR brass.

Another exercise in humility.

I was sorting my brass last night after a day at the range. A big ass bug jumped out and ran off. I hope a spider gets it before my wife sees it.

I would be a lot more concerned about a spider large enough to get a big ass bug in my house. :blink:

The place I get all my brass from uses ground up tires as a backstop. Every once in a while I'll get a case with a piece of tire make it through the sort and tumble and wind up in the press. Sometimes the rubber will stick to the decap pin but usually, I find it by having an overflowing case. My guess is the bug made it through the system.