Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ironman Equipment

jparker

I want to shoot the MGM Ironman next year (It's already full this year) and am trying to figure out what kind of equipment I may need. Here's a list of my current 3 gun gear:

STI double stack .40 with iron sights

Bushy 20" AR-15 with ACOG 1.5X, JARD trigger, and Redi-mag

Benelli with 18.5" barrel, so it's 7 + 1 + 1 with ghost ring sights and pistol grip stock

I've read about also needing a bolt action rifle for long range targets, so I would probably use a 26" Rem 700P with a 10X Leopold if I was shooting today.

Are laser range finders allowed / needed?

I don't mind buying different equipment, so I'm looking for recommendations on the best set-up for the scoped tactical class.

I'm going this year and thats about all I'm bringing. That and LOTS of ammo. Its just a big 3gun match really. I think the bolt gun is optional, but I don't own one anyways so it doesn't matter.

I think last year the longest shot was around 630 yds or something like that. The long range rifle stage might be a bonus stage if I recall correctly, it can help you or hurt you depending on how well you do. I'll be there this year for my first 3gun match and can't wait. I have all my guns figured out except for my AR. :( still trying to find an upper suitable for carrying around for long periods of time.

Last year the longest shots were around 700...and those targets were bonus.

Your set up looks good, but I would go with at least a 3.5x maybe a 4x for your rifle. Shooting little 3 inch plates at 150 yards might get difficult with a 1.5x. If you don't already....definetely grab a Harris bipod for your AR.

And bring lots of mags and ammo......L O T S.

I bought the 1.5X because local matches are usually a 12" plate at 100-150 yards. I'll definately invest in a 3.5 or 4 power.

I just spoke to MGM and they said a slot opened up. I have to check my schedule, but I may just jump in head first and go this year after all.

I just picked up the IOR/Valdada 1.5-8x24 with CQB reticle for my 3 gunning fun. Haven't had a chance to really put it thru the paces yet as I haven't found a suitable upper yet!

Have the ability to carry enough ammo on you + some more, you will need it.

In the past each stage has had

40-80 rifle (minimum)

40-80 pistol (minimum)

30-60 shot shells (including bird, slug, and buck)

Some stages have tables you can stage ammo on, but you will need to be able to carry it all on you. You can have friends run ammo to you in all the divisions except for trooper, but this will slow you down.

I carry the following on my person:

4-30rd Ar magazines, 2 are mag cinched 2 in a thigh rig

5 or 6 Glock .40 mags all 18 or 20 rounders

On the shotgun I have 16 in the side saddle 9 in the gun and the ability to carry 50 on my person.

Each stage will have a little different requirements, you will need to get there and take a look and decide.

What equipment do you need for The Ironman?

EVERYTHING! From shooting sticks to mag pouches and cleaning gear, you'd better come prepared.

+ 1,000,000 on the cleaning gear.

The Super Squad was a stage in front of me last year.

Out of 10 shooters I think that they had 1/2 of the shotguns working and were down a few pistols by the last couple of stages.

Fine dust gets everywhere.. plus the heat / rain adds for some fun shooting. (in, under and driving vehicles, side prone, etc etc.)

It is a real test of YOU and YOUR equipment. :P

There was a fella selling ammo on site last year, so you can run over to make sure you have enough to finish the event.

A lot of sun block and h2o as well. Remember, you will be running and shooting for 2 -5 minutes per stage. With that much movement, *stuff* likes to shake loose and fall all over the place.

Take a minute and look at the MGM website. Examine each of the steel targets that they have. You will see ALL of them in use at the match.

Last tip.

Know your pistol zero at 5, 10, 25, 30 yards

Know your rifle zero at 5, 25, 50, 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 (+600 if you use it for the long range bonus targets)

Know your shotgun slug zero for 10, 20, 50, & 75 yards. (This killed me last year).

I will be assisting with the match this year.

Look for the large yankee, speaking in some funky down-east accent. B)

Edited by maineshootah

Can you have more than one AR and switch between stages?

If I go with iron sights on the rifle to make the shotgun "open" (It will take we 10 minutes just to shove that many rounds in my shotgun) what's my toughest rifle shot? (Or is this just nuts?)

Can you have a back-up gun if one fails?

Will a glock 9mm be as competitive as the 40? (I actually shoot it better)

Any recommendations on gear to hold all those shells, rifle mags and pistol mags at the same time?

I'm leaning towards waiting until next year to go, but I may still do it thsi year if my Glock 17 is ok and I can get some shell holders in time.

this is the round count from last year as sent out by MGM last week to registered Ironman participants.

I couldn't get the table to show up right in the post so I attached the html page.

Book1.htm

Hmm! I'm registered and didn't get this!

BTW, my planned equipment list follows. Since this will be my first Ironman, anyone have any suggestions?

Rifle: 18" POF upper on DPMS lower, Trijicon 1.25-4 scope. I have a bipod, but would rather not use if I don't need it 'cause I don't like what it does to the balance. When I need to steady the gun from prone position I use the 30 round mag and Ranger base plate.

Sniper rifle: I'll use what I have, a 20" Bushy w/6-18x Nikon scope. (It doesn't HAVE to be a bolt gun, does it?)

Backup rifle: The same Bushy 20" w/Meostar 1-4x. OR a DPMS M4 carbine w/Weaver 1-3x.

Shotgun: Rem. 11-87 w/26" barrel and 10 round mag.

Backup shotgun: Rem. 1100 Tactical, 22" barrel and 8 round mag.

Hangun: Glock, either 17 or 34 9mm. The other will be a backup.

It's been a couple of years since I shot it, but Mike used to have those spinners (you were supposed to alternate high and low shots until you got it to revolve), and the guys on my squad shooting 9mm never got them to turn over and missed out on the bonus. I'd go .40 if you have one, ignore the above if things have changed.

this is the round count from last year as sent out by MGM last week to registered Ironman participants.

I couldn't get the table to show up right in the post so I attached the html page.

Book1.htm

Hmm! I'm registered and didn't get this!

It came from Tennille Chidester on 5/4, could've gone to your spam folder?

That's food for thought. I'm thinking, though, that it may be worth it to forego the bonus for the advantage of the higher mag capacity. On the other hand....? My 9mm load is the Federal AE 147 gr., which takes down steel and bowling pins really well, but I haven't shot spinners with it.

I don't know if there are pistol spinners this year. I'm pretty sure there are shotgun spinners. The stage description should be out soon. Oh, yeah, I got on the mailing list, after having my email address corrected. So now I'm up to speed! Sorta!

It's been a couple of years since I shot it, but Mike used to have those spinners (you were supposed to alternate high and low shots until you got it to revolve), and the guys on my squad shooting 9mm never got them to turn over and missed out on the bonus. I'd go .40 if you have one, ignore the above if things have changed.

He he..

that is why I purchased one to practice on..

:P

If I go with iron sights on the rifle to make the shotgun "open" (It will take we 10 minutes just to shove that many rounds in my shotgun) what's my toughest rifle shot? (Or is this just nuts?)

Any recommendations on gear to hold all those shells, rifle mags and pistol mags at the same time?

I'm leaning towards waiting until next year to go, but I may still do it thsi year if my Glock 17 is ok and I can get some shell holders in time.

You can have one "sniper" rifle for the long distance stage.

Most folks only had one AR one shotgun and one pistol.

I believe the point is to get your best gear and put it through the ringer.

3 gun gear is the best for shotgun gear to hold shells as well as AR mags and pistol mags.

rear pants pockets tend not to work well as all the movement tends to shake the mags loose. Others go with the MOLE vests with the dozens of pockets and load everything off of their chest.

Last year I saw quite a few 17's.

Bring what you have and run with it.

:D

Unless you're in Trooper and carrying it with you, you have to use the same configuration for the whole match...unless the gun breaks, then you can petition the MD to switch if it is equal or lesser equipment than what you were using.

Others have debated doing this...haven't seen anyone do it yet.

I've used 9mm the past 2 years without issues.

I use a two tiered system

Line 1: pistol belt with suspenders and drop leg rigs, safariland holster, pistol mag pouches, rifle mags, dump pouch. Organizer for lens wipes, batteries, etc.

Line 2: Vest with camelback carrier for the bulk of the ammo.

I can post links to pics if you want them.

Please post the link to pictures.

Did you shoot Trooper class?

Yes, I am one of two people responsible for creating it...so I've shot it at every match it was available since the fall of 2004.

here's the best front view pic I have it was taken at a local match before the ironman, I'm on the right.

http://www.cavalryarms.com/gear/player1-2.jpg

Pics from last year:

http://www.cavalryarms.com/ironman2006/ironman-2006-1.html

This year my configuration is much different because I'm using a Saiga-12

How are you liking the Saiga? I was thinking about trying to get one without the pistol grip so the CA goonsquad doesn't take me off to jail.

How are you liking the Saiga? I was thinking about trying to get one without the pistol grip so the CA goonsquad doesn't take me off to jail.

I like it a lot...but I believe in CA detach mag fed shotguns are banned regardless.