Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Ruling On The M&p Backstrap Yet?

dfwmiket

I have an M&P with the interchangeable backstraps, and wanted to know if any specific ruling has come down yet or which one will apply as far as modding the insert. Can one of the aftermarket 'snakeskin' models, or 'stippled' models be used and be production legal? My gut instinct tells me probably not, but I haven't seen any grip tape options come out yet, so figured I'd ask. I'm considering going back to shoot Production for a while, and this is most likely the gun I'll use. Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts.

-Mike

I have an M&P with the interchangeable backstraps, and wanted to know if any specific ruling has come down yet or which one will apply as far as modding the insert.

Am I to understand that there is even a question that any of the three would be legal for use w/o being considered as a "modification" to the handgun? These are clearly OEM supplied parts, included in the original packaging of the firearm from Smith & Wesson.

Is there a similar ruling on the H&K P2000 handguns? :blink:

the quesiton isn't about swampping out small, medium, or large, but actuallly altering the insert.

like this http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/misc/SharkRear.jpg

ETA

under cutrrent rules.. no. It's an external modification. For me, I did a decroative and functional a-grip install. I'll try to take pics and post later.

under the proposed 2008 rules. Who the heck knows. The production wording currently sucks and is not going to be what we see in the end. But no idea what new wording will look like.

Edited by raz-0

at the end of last year, I had hurculined the interior of my jeep wrangler and had about a quart left over when I was done. its the one with the little rubber balls already added to the product. I applied it to my backstraps and it works very well. A lot better that grip tape, since it molds over the rounded surfaces. If anyone questions it, it will peel right off and will look factory new. since the surface of the strap is not altered when it is applied. you should be able to purchase the individual quarts size cans at any automotive store. Make sure to buy a small can of zylene, since it is about the only thing that will get any stuff that you get on your hands. that or you will have to let if wear off in several weeks.

• 4 weeks later...

This is where the rules seem kind of confusing.

Modifications to the grip is illegal. Okay that's fine.

Aftermarket grips which match the profile of OFM standard for the approved handgun... is permitted. So wouldn't a Burwell insert be a aftermarket grip? It does match the same profile. It just has a different texture.

Good deal. I'll just go with what I've got. I have some mags on the way (thanks!) and a holster.......so after Area 4, I think it's back to Production for a while for me. :)

-Mike

Good to hear you'll be back playing production Mike -

Good deal. I'll just go with what I've got. I have some mags on the way (thanks!) and a holster.......so after Area 4, I think it's back to Production for a while for me. :)

-Mike

Good to hear you'll be back playing production Mike -

Let's see if a year's worth of shooting Limited did me any good. LOL :blink: :blink:

This is where the rules seem kind of confusing.

Modifications to the grip is illegal. Okay that's fine.

Aftermarket grips which match the profile of OFM standard for the approved handgun... is permitted. So wouldn't a Burwell insert be a aftermarket grip? It does match the same profile. It just has a different texture.

It might be time to ask Amidon the question again ----- but the wording will need to be very specific, and make that analogy: That grip inserts are the modern equivalent (on a polymer gun) to grip panels on a metal frame gun.....