Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chamber Reaming

xdrocker

Have a KKM 40 barrel that has a tight chamber. Is it possible to send it to a smith and ream it .001 or .002. I shoot for the fun of it and don't really feel like having to to use an EGW die prior to running it through my SDB. I loaded up about 150 rounds and barrel checked EACH one, all dropped in and fell out of the chamber. Head to the range and had about 12 rounds that would prevent the slide to go to full battery. Don't want to spend 2 hours to reload 300-400 rounds, that's just crazy. I have an STI Edge and I have never had a problem with this before with my reloading setup so I figure it is the KKM barrels chamber. Super accurate barrel when it shoots though.

round felt polisher on a dremmil, some fine white polishing compound. just polish the inside of the chamber. Had the same problem with a Springfield factory 9mm 1911 barrel. Tight chamber most reloads wouldnt chamber and even 1 out of 10 factory Golden sabers wouldnt chamber when the barrel was new. A little polishing and a little shooting and was good to go. But to answer your question yes you can send it to a gunsmith but most likely he'll do what I just stated.

Have a KKM 40 barrel that has a tight chamber. Is it possible to send it to a smith and ream it .001 or .002. I shoot for the fun of it and don't really feel like having to to use an EGW die prior to running it through my SDB. I loaded up about 150 rounds and barrel checked EACH one, all dropped in and fell out of the chamber. Head to the range and had about 12 rounds that would prevent the slide to go to full battery. Don't want to spend 2 hours to reload 300-400 rounds, that's just crazy. I have an STI Edge and I have never had a problem with this before with my reloading setup so I figure it is the KKM barrels chamber. Super accurate barrel when it shoots though.

While there may be some reamers that are larger than others, I hate to tell you this, but the EGW die - or at least a standard Lee - in a new 550 is probably your best option.

A friend reloaded for his .40 glock w/ an SDB for years until he bought a CZ. None of his reloads would chamber in the CZ's match chamber. THe SBD die was just too sloppy & did not reach far enough down the brass for the reloads to work in anything but his Glock's cavernous chamber. And he had 2 case head separations before switching away from the SDB. Since getting a 550 & Lee dies, no problems since his ammo is now safe.

I would fix your press & die combo rather than trying to hog out the fine KKM barrel you have. And use OneShot like it shows in Brian's video.

Edited by Carlos

I loaded up about 150 rounds and barrel checked EACH one, all dropped in and fell out of the chamber. Head to the range and had about 12 rounds that would prevent the slide to go to full battery.

This makes me think the problem is not the chamber.

Edited by wide45

Thought the same thing but cant think what it would be. I thought maybe a weak recoil spring but the rounds drop into the barrel effortlessly, so I doubt that. Running a 10 lb spring I get 100% ejection 75% full battery, run a 12lb and I get 95 % full battery 70% ejection. Don't feel I should have to run 185-190PF for reliable ejection and feed. Mayeb 11lb is the answer, allow the slide to fully cycle and at the same time push hard enough to ensure a fully chambered round. Would a 1 pound change in spring make that big of a difference?

Not common (I've not seen it but heard of it) but could the chamber be a little oval rather than round?

Chamber check with a round, rotate it 45 degrees and drop it in again, then repeat. If its oval, some of the rounds will not drop in, drop out at some point.

Bill

Check the brass closely for burrs on the case rims, and pop the extractor out to clean it well before doing anything else. Both issues will give the problems you are having.

If the loaded rounds dropped in fine when the barrel was out of the gun, then it doesn't sound like a chamber issue or oversized ammo at all.

The first thing I'd look at would be the extractor. If it's got too much tension, or has a rough spot/burr on it, it will prevent the case head/rim from coming up as high as it needs to for the round to go straight into the chamber.

I would fix your press & die combo rather than trying to hog out the fine KKM barrel you have.

I agree with the above. The problem with the SDB is that it uses dies that are not common. :( This is why I prefer the 550b over the SDB. I have been reloading for the .40 for while and I quickly learned this quirk about chambers and the .40 reloading. The Dillon dies are "flared" at the bottom to enhance feeding on their progressive presses. Because of this flare, the Dillon dies do not size down low enough to get the buldge out of glock fired brass or brass fired in a very large chamber. To fix the problem you are having, you can use the Lee .40 standard sizing die or the Lee .40 "U"(undersize) sizing die . The EGW die is the same die as the Lee "U" die.

I would defintely not sand/ream out the KKM barrel. They are very well made, expensive, and engineered to run correcty without any filing or enlarging of the chamber.

The EGW die is the same die as the Lee "U" die.

The EGW die starts out as a Lee "U" die, but they machine a bit more off of it so that it will get even closer to the bottom of the case. I had to turn down my shell holder a bit to get all the way to the bottom of Glocked cases with the EGW die, but it was close before that.

The EGW die starts out as a Lee "U" die, but they machine a bit more off of it so that it will get even closer to the bottom of the case. I had to turn down my shell holder a bit to get all the way to the bottom of Glocked cases with the EGW die, but it was close before that.

Modern myth.

EGW has the dies made special by Lee. They don't do additional machining.

It is possible that you could have an"undersized" (not deep enough) chamber. Most barrels available for installation are sent out slightly unersized for "finish reaming" and installation.

First remove your barrel. Find a machinists "square/angled" gage and check out your chamber lenght with your ammo in it. Clean your barrel well to eliminate any debris from the chamber, then fully insert a normal loaded round into it untill it bottoms. Now place the square atop the barrel just flush with the barrel's hood sticking down behind the cartridge inside the chamber. There should be a slight play between them. If the loaded round pushes the gage back and there is no play whatsoever you will have problems twith the gun going into battery everytime, especially when a slightly longer case is used.

If this is your scenario you will need a reamer/gunsmith to "push/ream" your chamber a little deeper.

If it is not, then look elsewhere as suggested above this post.

I wish I could find it for you right now, but my Search-Fu is weak tonight. George from EGW has posted here the truth about his U-die.

He explained that they are not surface ground to make them size further down the case, but rather are made by Lee to his specs -- .001" undersized (thus the "U" designation). Cases loaded by a press equipped with a U-die have a distinct "Coke-Bottle" shape to them. Glock guppy-bellies, and bullet set-back are all but eliminated.

I installed them on my presses and chamber checking has become a boring routine of cases not failing that test.

Modern myth.

Okay, so what's the difference between the EGW "U" die and the Lee "U" die?

EGW says their U die is made to their specs (by Lee of course) and that makes sense. If it's to their spec, how is it different from the Lee U die? If there's no difference between them, I don't see how the dies are made "special" for EGW. Or is it that Lee just uses EGW's specs and sells the identical die?

I wish I could find it for you right now, but my Search-Fu is weak tonight. George from EGW has posted here the truth about his U-die.

He explained that they are not surface ground to make them size further down the case, but rather are made by Lee to his specs -- .001" undersized (thus the "U" designation). Cases loaded by a press equipped with a U-die have a distinct "Coke-Bottle" shape to them. Glock guppy-bellies, and bullet set-back are all but eliminated.

I installed them on my presses and chamber checking has become a boring routine of cases not failing that test.

I just asked Wide45 this same question.... Is there any difference between the EGW U die and the Lee U die? They both say Lee on them, I know that much :)

I have an EGW U die, and it does the trick....but if it's just .001" undersized, that's the same as the Lee U die unless there's a difference that would allow one to size further down the case. I'd read where people said EGW's were different and would size further down the case and when I got mine, it looked like it had been turned down, so I figured it was true...now I'm just confused!

I guess that would fall under 'marketing'. :)

Seriously, I don't doubt there's little if any difference between the two. I was just trying to point out that George stated he does not shave the bottom off of the dies he sells. Their unique feature is the diameter to which they resize the case.

I guess that would fall under 'marketing'. :)

Seriously, I don't doubt there's little if any difference between the two. I was just trying to point out that George stated he does not shave the bottom off of the dies he sells. Their unique feature is the diameter to which they resize the case.

Gotcha....I was just curious if there was some other difference and I recall seeing a number of posts saying the EGW had that little something extra...lol. Oh well, I don't mind that I gave George my business either way. Maybe now I'll have to work on really turning down U dies and open up my own shop...call 'em the BartUDie...no wait, that doesn't sound too good :o

The only thing I know about KKM barrels is what it says in Brownell's:

"Chambers are minimum length and dia. They will function correctly as-is, although they will gauge less than SAAMI minimum."

I think that is just stupid. Obviously they don't function correctly as is.

I can see an undersize chamber in a bullseye match gun to be shot at 50 yards slowfire with carefully prepared ammunition, but certainly not in a cop gun for speed shooting with bulk loaded ammo.

Edited by Jim Watson

The only thing I know about KKM barrels is what it says in Brownell's:

"Chambers are minimum length and dia. They will function correctly as-is, although they will gauge less than SAAMI minimum."

I think that is just stupid. Obviously they don't function correctly as is.

I can see an undersize chamber in a bullseye match gun to be shot at 50 yards slowfire with carefully prepared ammunition, but certainly not in a cop gun for speed shooting with bulk loaded ammo.

I can understand your frustration at having to deepen the chamber for an "already pre-chambered barrel". KKM and others offer their "ready fit or drop in barrels", and these are intended to basically drop in your gun without any fitting whatsoever. Sometimes you may be in luck and you will have an acceptable fit and function. Not always. Once metal has been removed it is hard to put it back. Not too many 1911/2011's are 100% identical. CNC machining can only hold tolernces in the piece just made, but cann not guarrantee an exact match for a previous or subsequent batch of parts, althougj is susually very close when the same manufacturers parts are used.

That is where the reasoning behind "gunsmith fit" parts come in. They are purposely left slightly oversized so that final fitting to exact dimensions can be accomplished, to the actual gun. It is assumed by the manufacturer that some kind of fitting will be done to the "hood" of the barrel by removal of metal, and this would result in making the chamber smaller by the installation in itself. This situation can even arise when using "ready fit" barrels if there was a need to even slightly reduce the barrel's hood for installation.

So, again. yes!!! It is possible that the refernced barrel could have an undersized chamber. Jujst check it and find out, then remedy it as neeeded.

Modern myth.

Okay, so what's the difference between the EGW "U" die and the Lee "U" die?

EGW says their U die is made to their specs (by Lee of course) and that makes sense. If it's to their spec, how is it different from the Lee U die? If there's no difference between them, I don't see how the dies are made "special" for EGW. Or is it that Lee just uses EGW's specs and sells the identical die?

I just asked Wide45 this same question.... Is there any difference between the EGW U die and the Lee U die? They both say Lee on them, I know that much :)

I have an EGW U die, and it does the trick....but if it's just .001" undersized, that's the same as the Lee U die unless there's a difference that would allow one to size further down the case. I'd read where people said EGW's were different and would size further down the case and when I got mine, it looked like it had been turned down, so I figured it was true...now I'm just confused!

I think this is the thread on the U die.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23777

I don't know what Lee might be selling as a U die. The only ones I have seen are the two I purchased from EGW. Well worth the cost.