Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range Report - Brazos Sc Limited

Before I get any comments regarding "This thread is worthless without pictures" let me just say that my youngest son destroyed the camera this weekend so for now, this report is san fotografias. I didn't get anything outside of the norm on Bob's SC Limited so you can go to his site and see for yourself. There is only one difference, my mag well is chrome. Bang Bang

First things first; working with the folks at Brazos was an excellent experience. I placed more than my fair share of calls to them during my waiting period, to the point that I am sure they are glad to be done with me. :D I appreciate that they realistically set expectations on delivery times and held to them pretty closely. Whether it was via email or telephone, Bob and Ingi were always helpful and responsive to questions and additional order requests.

Now for the good stuff...

I picked up the gun yesterday but wasn't able to get out and shoot it until today. The folks at my home range were drooling over this new blaster. :wub: They all handled it before I got there and claim they didn't dry fire it. I don't buy that for 1 minute. :P

This gun is just awesome. The hard chrome job was perfect. There were no flaws in the finish. I always dug the slide lightening Bob does, and it looks even better in person. The gun fit my hand very well. The Cyclone Mag release is great. I can reach it with out having to shift my grip much at all, which is a huge bonus. I thought it might be similar to my 1911 or more so since it is a wide body. I racked the slide and it was sooooooooooo smooth. There was no hesitation or "grit". Just an effortless back and forth. The sights are a Bomar rear and a micro dot FO front. I have already had sometime with this set up since my Trojan had the same set.

Upon inspection of the mag well you could see where it had been blended seamlessly with the frame. All rough spots or minor obstructions were eliminated. :D I bought 4 tuned mags and they slid in as if they were coated in butter. When loading the mags I was able to get 20 rounds by hand with out much effort. It did take a little but of effort to get the magazine to seat with 20 rounds and the first one off the top had a little trouble going into battery. A quick PM to Bob and he provided this "hi-cap mag noob" with some tips to help with loading them to full capacity.

Now with it fully loaded it was time to kill some paper. The trigger is just incredible. There is no creep and when it breaks it is crisp, clean and no indication of when. The reset is short and I was able to crank out rounds at an alarming rate. I put some targets out at 25 yards, which coincidentally is the distance Bob sights his guns at. It performed excellently off hand. There is no question that it will shoot much better than I am capable. I can say with certainty that my 25 group size was reduced by no less that 50%.

The gun runs like a sewing machine. I cranked out 400+ rounds with out a single failure. Afterwards the action feels even smoother i that is even possible.

I am very much looking forward to breaking this bad boy out on Saturday in Circleville.

Here are some photos for your viewing pleasure.

1st - gun and mags

2nd - my stippling job on the grip

post-8197-1178205598.jpg

post-8197-1178205638.jpg

Money well spent, Drew. :)

* I vaguely remember when mine looked that clean....

Thanks everyone.

DV8 - I was going to PM you to tell you it was finally here. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions, way back in Dec. It was worth the wait and definately worth every penny.

Money well spent, Drew. :)

* I vaguely remember when mine looked that clean....

Thanks everyone.

DV8 - I was going to PM you to tell you it was finally here. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions, way back in Dec. It was worth the wait and definately worth every penny.

You're welcome! I don't mind recommending good people/products/services whenever they deserve it, and these folks deserve it.

Congrats!

I suspect that your HK will be MIA at matches, I know mine has been since getting my Brazos. What's the over/under for "customizing"? I give you 2 months.

:P

The HK had been relegated to conceal carry weapon only, which was its original job before finding IDPA and USPSA a year ago Feb. Now I don't know what to do about my screen name. DOH!

While it wasn't much, it really only took me about 6 hours before doing my first customizing, which was stippling the grip. It probably won't be much longer before I get some itch to change out something. I think the first thing I would like to swap out is the plastic trigger. I don't want to do anything to mess with the action that Bob has performed on this gun and I am too much of a noob to know what is envolved....yet. :ph34r:

Edited by Texas HK shooter

FWIW - haven't had any trouble (yet) out of the SV trigger in my gun. Don't know if they're hit or miss, or what, but... Swapped a couple of trigger shoes in it, so far, but I don't notice the overtravel screw changing, etc... What kept coming loose on yours, Mick?

Of course, I shot for years w/ the stock STI curve trigger in my last gun, and no issues there, either, so... ;)

After 1 month, I changed my grip to a fugly home made JB Weld special covered in Eric's grip tape, and a little relief on the underside of the trigger guard. Bob would cry if he saw it today, but it sure fits my hand good, grip is consistant and solid. The aluminum mag well has taken quite a beating. Thinking about the Ice from DP. I can't do anything to the USP since it is my duty weapon, maybe that's why I tinker with this one.

Titegroup + WSR + MG 180 JHP = 1 ragged hole

Bob is a master. Enjoy!

FWIW - haven't had any trouble (yet) out of the SV trigger in my gun. Don't know if they're hit or miss, or what, but... Swapped a couple of trigger shoes in it, so far, but I don't notice the overtravel screw changing, etc... What kept coming loose on yours, Mick?

The insert was coming loose. I used a standard shaped curve like the plastic ones come with. I guess it's all that mashing and slapping the trigger us LTD shooters do compared to the finesse the OPEN shooters use...

Bob builds the sweetest guns!!! I have had nothing but great service from them and my Open gun is just awesome. I just ordered a Limited gun from him but it won't be complete until November. Good luck with your gun and I'm sure you will love it for a LONG LONG time!!! Mine runs 100% and has from day 1. Can't say the same about other companies guns at all.

Pete