Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftec Extractors

Ameiza

As the title says; does the Aftec Extractors need to be installed by a gunsmith?

I'm considering to get such extractor as I'm having ejection problems. I havn't quite figured it out yet, but I'll try anything that might work. At practice today an empty case failed to leave the gun; it was stuck under the extractor. A new round was on its way into the chamber and you can only imagine the resulting malfunction. I also had several cases stuck ninety degrees in the ejection port. Any clues?

For quite some time I felt that the AFTEC was a solution that didn't have a problem. If John Browning wanted it in his design, he would have put it there.

WRONG. After several random FTE's from what I felt were well tuned extractors, I thought I'd give the AFTEC a try. After slight fitting, I have not had a failure to eject since it was installed. It will require a little fitting but is well worth it.

Here is an earlier discussion on installing the AFTEC extractor. If you have additional questions, please post them.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...83&hl=aftec

Bill

The Aftec warranty is voided if you grind on it. The problem is most guns it is necessary to rehape it a little. I have Aftecs in 3 of my guns and have never had a problem with them. All 3 were reshaped due to the Scheuman AET barrels in those guns.

If its an Open gun, it gets more complex, as there's little tolerance for high ejection patterns, and those manifest seemingly as stovepipes, or what looks like a failure to fully extract or eject....

A case slipping out from under the extractor could be extractor tension. Stovepipes can be a number of things. The ejector should not be discounted, either.

In a slide within the 1911 specs, the AFTEC is essentially drop in other than fitting the firing pin stop (basically, you radius two corners, easy to do in 5 minutes time). However, if the slide is not in spec, it gets more complex... ;) I fit one in my Trojan - piece of cake.

Sorry for too little info :unsure:

It is a 2011 in .38 super. Brazos off center scope mount and a C-more. I installed the new scope mount and scope two days ago. And yes, by closer inspection, it seems to be a few brass marks on the mount. I should probably try to adjust the angle on the ejector. Only one problem; I'm a lefty and have some problems getting the brass to clear off my strong hand thumb on the way out. That was the reason I changed to off center mount in the first place.

The AFTEC can clean up an inconsistent ejection pattern. If you're in doubt about your extractor, its not a bad thing to try - at least the pattern might get more consistent, and then you can adjust from there...

The AFTEC can clean up an inconsistent ejection pattern. If you're in doubt about your extractor, its not a bad thing to try - at least the pattern might get more consistent, and then you can adjust from there...

It seems to be a good idea to try one out then, because the ejection pattern is indeed inconsistent. And of course I'll have to adjust the ejector.

Sorry for too little info :unsure:

It is a 2011 in .38 super. Brazos off center scope mount and a C-more. I installed the new scope mount and scope two days ago. And yes, by closer inspection, it seems to be a few brass marks on the mount. I should probably try to adjust the angle on the ejector. Only one problem; I'm a lefty and have some problems getting the brass to clear off my strong hand thumb on the way out. That was the reason I changed to off center mount in the first place.

I feel your pain. As another lefty, i struggled in tuning my setup. I 'm back to a serendipity, using aftec, lowered my ejection angle and trained my left thumb not to point up too much to clear the exiting brass. :P

In general, i'm very satisfied with the AFTEC. My previous smith was totally against it but i kept having extract probs. I bought and installed it in my blaster without mods and has been working eversince.

Hope this helps!

Aftecs usually require some blending in the lower corner area where the case rim slides up and into place to make it feed perfectly smooth. Not too much though. Just enough so the edge of the Aftec won't scrape or catch sharply on the rim of the case as it's feeding up from the mag.

Of course install and test before you do any mods. All guns and parts are different.

Fastshooter03

I just tried to install the aftec extractor in my SPS open gun, but it won't give enough tension. I've rounded the edges on the firing pin stop according to instruction manual. It was fairly easy to install, but the extractor- to- ectractor-hole fit is very tight near the rear end. Is is possible that it won't pivot because of the tight fit? Or have I removed to little on the corners of the firing pin stop? (I think I have removed alot allready).

BTW, I've checked for clearance between barrel and extractor. No prob.

edit: type errors

Edited by Ameiza

Hold the extractor in your hand with the firing pin stop in the slot. It needs to be able to move freely on the firing pin stop.

Depending on the slide you might need a SuperComp/9mm extractor in a Super slide or a Super extractor in a SuperComp/9mm slide. Unfortunately it doesn't always work out that a Super extractor works well in a Super slide or the other way around.

The extractor moves freely. The extractor won't grip the rim even with FPS not installed.

It might be that the breach face is wider than spec. It just won't grip :( In that case, I've just thrown away a hundred bucks...

Best bet would be to call Derek @ AFTEC.... there are potentially ways of fixing it, but he should be the one determining them for you. Its possible that your slide is way out of 1911 spec (see my disclaimer about that above) - in that case, its really SPS's fault, not the extractor's... but that doesn't help you out much, I know...

Good luck - its an awesome extractor. Hopefully Derek can help you get it set up. If not, you can sell it for what you paid for it, I'm sure....

After some consideration I decided to do something I know is potentially wrong for this well crafted part; I bent it... Just enough to get it to grip. I know I've void my guarantee (Heck, I did that when I started to file it a bit :) ). Wouldn't do me much good overseas anyway. There is no tension by the rod itself, all the tension is given by the springs, as it's suppose to do.

I've just returned from the range now, and the result seems very promising. 100 rounds and no malfunctions. I set it up for super and it ran flawlessly, with a consistent ejection. I also tried some supercomps, no malf., but not so tidy brass throw. I'll go with super and hope for the best in the upcoming Open Nationals this weekend. Not the best preparations, but the gun shows improvement, so we'll see...

Thanks for all the input.

Edited by Ameiza