Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feelling Slide Cycle

rooster

I recently had a couple of jams in my 40 sti eagle. I don't know how to explain it but it seems like the slide is not moving corectly. I am running a 12.5 recoil spring with a buff, current load is 4.8 vv 320, oal at 1.180, at around 960 fps. I can actually feel the slide coming in an out of battery. I took out the buff and same thing. It didn't do this before and I let a buddy shoot it today and on the very first round he noticed it too. He said it just doesn't feel quite right. Almost as if the slide is in slow motion. Lock-up feels good, slide stop pin is not binding, slide to frame has very little play. Mags all have new Grams springs and followers and are clean. The jam has been either a round caught on the feed ramp or not stripping the round off the mag at all. I thought maybe it might be that the gun was going out of battery too fast because of the lighter spring and not letting the pressure build up to work the slide properly. I am going to try going back to 14 lb recoil spring. I am leary of going down to a 10lb spring seems to be a little light. Any ideas that might help me?

Chuck

Only one thing comes to mind. Look at the firing pin stop. Lock the slide back and ease it foward watching for the bottom of the FP stop catching the top of your hammer. I doubt it, but I've seen it happen.

I've seen guns that when the trigger was held back, the disconnector would actually hold the gun open. I always break the edges of the disconnector and polish the heck out of it.

One of my trubors did that....I took about .020 off the disconnector repolished...works ok :D

Jim

gun is clean, already tried removing buff, i did notice that the firing pin stop is a liittle loose i will look more closley at that. didn't think about the dissconnector i'll check that too. thanks for the suggestions.

Chuck

how long have you had the recoil spring in there? You're describing what my pistol does when it's either very very very dirty or the recoil spring is shot. At 12.5, that's kinda on the low end, I run 14-16 in mine; replace every 3000 rounds or so...

I run a 12# Sprinco recoil spring (not the recoil reducer, just a straight spring) in mine. Its not unusual to get 10,000+ rounds out of a Sprinco spring... ;)

I agree w/ the Fish... sounds like a dead recoil spring... A loose FP stop is not a big deal (as long as its not spinning around in there or rattling or something :) ).

Are you useing a particularly heavy grease. I 've had similar problems when it's cold out and I'm using a heavy grease. Sprayed it down with break free and it seemed to loosen up. Cleaned it and oild it and it ran like a champ.

I thought it might be grease too as I just started to try Brain's slide glide, then when it started happening I tried gun butter then it kept on so I completely stripped gun and cleaned and oiled with millitec. The recoil spring that Iwas using was a ISIMI 12.5 it now has probaly about 2000 rnds and I am going back to the 14 and will shoot again on Monday.

Chuck