Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hearing Protection?

VeryBadshot

For the actual shooting portion of the match its not that important. In fact some find the additional background noise they pick up from behind the line a distraction. But they greatly benefit the overall match experience by making conversation easier and more natural. .

You should be able to hear the buzzer slightly sooner with electronic hearing protection. The only drawback is that when you screw up, you can hear your fellow shooters say things like "With that many extra shots on the steel, he should have brought his Dillon to the firing line"

Swede

• 2 weeks later...
I have had a pair of the Dillon Electronic ones for approx. 8 years and they are great.

+1

I've had a set of Dillon electronic muffs for 8 or 10 years, and they're still going strong. I have another set (forget which brand) that work well, but the Dillons "sound" better to me.

Of course, any muffs are too hot during the humid months in the summer. I usually switch to regular foam plugs then.

I keep thinking I need to get some in-the-ear electronic plugs for the best of both worlds. But then there are a lot of things on my wish list. :D

I just had a pair of custom ear plugs made. They are very comfortable and i had them made in colors that matched my gear.They are not electronic, but you can still hear the buzzer ok.

Plus you dont get as hot when u wear them oustide and u dont have anything around ur head and they keep out as much sound as muff's do.

I just had a pair of custom ear plugs made. They are very comfortable and i had them made in colors that matched my gear.

Color coordinated? Papa like :D

I saw their booth at Area 6. Have you shot indoors with them yet?

I've used the Dillon one for a long time. Too many drops have made the electronics kind of screwy. Went and got the new Peltor Tactical Sport. I like those a lot better than the Dillon. It has auto shut off which is the greatest feature in the world. It takes 2 AAA to power both sides and no tools required to change them. The electronics works more like the Pro-Ears than the Dillon.

I just had a pair of custom ear plugs made. They are very comfortable and i had them made in colors that matched my gear.

Color coordinated? Papa like :D

I saw their booth at Area 6. Have you shot indoors with them yet?

I actually work at an indoor shooting range and use them all the time. Sometimes when i shoot open it gets a little loud but with everything else they work great.

I like the ProEars electronics for cool weather wear or Insta-Mold (non-electronics)plugs for summer. Of all the electronics I have tried I like the ProEars the best. They have excellent sound fidelity and don't ever completely clamp down. Beware of some of the cheap electronic muffs that simply cut off when a loud sound occurs.

This cut off causes me a problem because my ears get used to the amplified level of sounds, then when I fire they clamp and greatly attenuate the level. This causes me trouble on steel, or when I am waiting on the beep and someone in the next berm cranks off a round which mutes the muffs. To me normal plugs are better that than this since there is adaptation.

Since the ProEars simply compress loud sounds without cutting off completely. I have noticed that I usually get a better draw ( easier for me to hear the first note of the buzzer) and gives me useful feedback on shooting steel.

As others have mentioned above they use expensive (N cell) batteries and seem to have a bad tendency to turn themselves on in my bag... ( I usually take one of the batteries out of each set to stop this.) Also they are just too dang hot to wear in the summer.

I have some Pro Ears that are great except the shooting bag gremlin turns the power knobs on and drains the batteries. Anyone have a simple way to keep them in the off pos. while they rumble around in my bag?