Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Sti Edge Needs Help

NODAK

Recently purchased from BRAZOS Edge Plus .40 with Brazos mags, cannot get the pistol to cycle completely,it will not push the cartridge all the way into the chamber.This happens every other round. Am using Precision Delta 180 grain major, have tried the longs and that made it worse.Anyone know whats up? The tip of the bullet will have smile on the outside edge it when I rack it out if that helps.

Need Help!

+1 on what Bill said.

I had the same problem with another 40 STI (Not a Brazo) and the problem turned out to be the guide rod was not fitted correctly. I even had the same smile you are seeing.

I have used Precision Delta Longs and they fed perfect in my EDGE once the guide rod issue was fixed. It is my understanding that STI barrels favor long loads.

Edited by FullRace

Have not tried factory ammo and am not sure of the specs ,I believe they said 1.88 long and are the remanufactured ones. They are the tuned mags ,4 of them and I get the same results with all 4

Is the guide rod issue possibly something I could fix?

Edited by NODAK

Um 1.88 is way too long to chamber or feed. So you don't reload or have a vernier caliper?

I would go to Walmart buy 100 Win whitebox and try them. It would be very revealing.

Oh and call Bob too. There is no way I would grind and file on a brand new 3K gun.

Edited by BSeevers

Have not tried factory ammo and am not sure of the specs ,I believe they said 1.88 long and are the remanufactured ones. They are the tuned mags ,4 of them and I get the same results with all 4

Is the guide rod issue possibly something I could fix?

I did not mean to imply the guide rod was the issue--more like there could be several things. Unless you are a gunsmith-don't mess with it.

Call Bob! This is a new gun yes? He will fix it.

Yeah, sorry it would be 1.18 (beginner)

I wanted to get a feel for what might be the issue before call Bob,I live in rural North Dakota and its a hundred miles to Fargo, so before I went I want to try and get the right ammo. I used to have a CZ TS and it cycled Precision Delta ammo fine. I'll take any input before I go up there,once I leave town there are only 2 stop signs

Yes its a new gun

Edited by NODAK

Dennis - do you mean 1.18 on the AOL? If the bullets will fit in the mags they are not over about 1.3....

Now how would you know that unless you tried it? :o:lol::lol:

Daddy used to tell me..."Experience is a hard school, Merlin..But, the only one a fool can learn in."

Recently purchased from BRAZOS Edge Plus .40 with Brazos mags, cannot get the pistol to cycle completely,it will not push the cartridge all the way into the chamber.This happens every other round. Am using Precision Delta 180 grain major, have tried the longs and that made it worse.Anyone know whats up? The tip of the bullet will have smile on the outside edge it when I rack it out if that helps.

Need Help!

When it locks up like that how much of the case is visible...i.e. how much didn't go into the chamber? Also, does the case appear to be at an upwards angle going into the chamber? If you rack it out, can you put it back in a mag and have it chamber properly?

I can't disagree with calling Bob...that'll definitely get it fixed one way or another. I'm wondering if it could be an extractor with too much tension holding the back of the case down so that it won't level off as it chambers and the bullet is catching on the front of the chamber because of it. That wouldn't be too hard to check and/or fix.

Are you using a case gauge for your loads? Is it possible you have glocked brass? All Loads should be case gauged get a dillon if you are not doing this now. Load to 1.160 for now Check the ammo first if thats not the problem....

your extractor is proably too tight.

Bob will make it right.

Edited by nipplehead

Get some good bullets. The bullets you are using suck. They are all sorts of inconsistent. Don't do anything until you try some good bullets. Hornady or Zero would be my first choices.

Based on your comment about the "smile" on the outter side of the bullet and the angle of the jam, I would look real hard at the Extractor as it sounds like the case may not be getting fully inserted/seated behind it thus causing the bullet to be angled up and out slightly. With the bullet angled out, it is likely hitting the outter edge of the barrel as it is being chambered. Unless you can absolutely determine the cause and make the correction without "surgery", I would contact Bob. We all know he will make it right either over the phone or via return/fix.

Thanks for all your advise and help, this forum is the best for us new guys.Well I went and bought a couple boxes of Winchester White box and Remington 180 grain factory ammo put 100 rounds thru it and it ran like a champ,not one mis-feed so I did it again and it ran just fine.WHEW!

I also called Bob and he also was a tremendous help! willing to do anything to make things right, he also had me check the extractor and the ammo. It seems to be the Precision Delta ammo with all the mixed brass plus I notced it seems pretty dirty when I took the gun apart,but their behalf they were very sorry and will take the 1000 rounds back and send me a box of new ammo to try.

Thanks again for all your help!

Edited by NODAK

Thanks for all your advise and help, this forum is the best for us new guys.Well I went and bought a couple boxes of Winchester White box and Remington 180 grain factory ammo put 100 rounds thru it and it ran like a champ,not one mis-feed so I did it again and it ran just fine.WHEW!

I also called Bob and he also was a tremendous help! willing to do anything to make things right, he also had me check the extractor and the ammo. It seems to be the Precision Delta ammo with all the mixed brass plus I notced it seems pretty dirty when I took the gun apart,but their behalf they were very sorry and will take the 1000 rounds back and send me a box of new ammo to try.

I'm glad it was something simple and you didn't have to send it back for tweaking. From what I hear, that would be a rare thing from that shop.

You're right this forum is the best. :)

Edited by JThompson

I too ordered 1000 reloaded from Precision Delta (long) in 40. Yes, they were all mixed brass, but they did feed all the time. I then ordered 1000 of the same bullets Precision Delta uses and had to send 900 back. The bullets were not sized correctly and buldged every case I loaded. I called Precision Delta and they took them back and Precision Delta said "sorry" but I had to pay the shipping.

Everybody makes mistakes, but IMHO any ammunition company that is the official match ammo for any USPSA match should not ever have to say "sorry".

+1 on the case gauge. Get one and case gage every round. If glock 40 brass is not roll sized correctly you will have problems.

When you start reloading look into Precision molly bullets. They shoot well and the owner, David Long, is great to deal with. The Precision mollys are cheaper and require less powder and are quite accurate. I know several GMs using Precision mollys.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

I've fixed a para that did the exact same thing. I installed a KKM barrel in my Edge and had to tune out the same problem as well.

One: What is the diameter of the Precision Delta's? My bet is that they are .401, not .400. You can ream the throat out a little if insist on using the cheapest bullets (as I do). We shoot Bear Creeks and they are .401's with some probably bigger. Yes they bulge the case a scoach when loaded.

Two: I had to lower the mouth of the feed ramp. This is the near absolute cure for long, less than ideal bullet loads. The round was wedging itself, nose on the top of the chamber, middle of the brass on the feed ramp and the base and the breech face. The para had the PXT extractor (ick) and is not very nice to adjust (coil spring), nor did it make much difference with tuning.

If the smiley is on the circumference of the bullet, between the case mouth and cone it's (most likely) hitting the headspace shoulder inside the chamber.

This isn't usually the cause of it sticking out of battery, it's just hitting the headspace shoulder in the chamber.

Shoot 500 to 1000 jacket bullets and it will soften the shoulder a bit. I don't shoot jacketed so I did it manually.

This is my opinion based on what I've seen and fixed that is very similar. I wouldn't touch this one however, nor have anyone else but Bob.

I don't have the luxury of shooting expensive bullets so I have to tune the gun to run anything. As an aside, my STI barrel was shot out so it feed anything I threw at it. The KKM, being new, needed to be broken in manually (polisher).

I used Precision Delta ammo at one match the beginning of the year. I don't know what powder they use but it is dirty. I cleaned my gun after 6 stages the first day. It was dirty again after 3 stages the next morning. I reload using VV N-320 and can shoot 2000 rounds without getting the gun as dirty as 300 rounds of the PDs.

I will put my .02 in on this. I have some Precision Delta 180g 40's and they have a very different shape to the cone than many other bullets causing them to hit the ramp and behave very diff. I have to load mine to 1.190 and they seem to act different. Montana Gold's and maybe even the WWB will have a pointy'er nose....compair and you will see.