Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 And 9mm Station #1

Hello all. While reloading 9mm using my Dillon 650, Dillon dies, and clean (tumbled) brass I am getting about 1 in 5 pieces of brass that are not being deprimed. The handle is being actuated fully to both extents. The die touches the shell plate when the handle is pressed down. I do use mixed headstamp brass. However, it seems to happen to any brand. Anyone have any ideas? While loading .45 everything operates flawless. I appreciate any and all help.

-Chris

Chris

Check your decapping pin for a burr. It may be depriming just fine but the burr will hang on to the primer and pull it back in. Also check to see that the pin has not broken off and become shorter.

What brand brass are you using? This exact same thing happens to me (yes, I make full strokes on the handle) but only PMC brass. It only does this with PMC, so it has to be the brass. Strange, this only happens with 9mm.

Thank you for the fast reply. I should have mentioned this. Last night I pulled the die apart. The pin is the same size as the new one I compared it to and did not notice any burs. I will check again though.

-Chris

Search on this subject. We get the same question every 4 months or so.

Most likely the spent primer is hanging on to the end of the decapping pin, and being drawn back into the brass.

The fix is to stone a slight point onto the pin. It does not take much. Too much point and it will punch through the primers instead of pushing them out.

CCI primers do this more than most others.

I had the same problem. I put the decapping pin in a drill press and filed a taper. Works fine now. I found it more common on Speer brass with CCI primers. I just have to remember to repeat the process every time I change decapping pins.

Keith