Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Happens When Your Kids Do The Reloading

chuckbradley

Ok I have my 17yr old Austin loading the 9mm major and just started letting my almost 15yr old Ryan load 40. Go to the local match today at Ashland Gun club and first stage with the 9mm open gun I get a failure to fire. Pick up the round and it had an already spent primer in it. Not only did he load the ammo and chamber gauge it he loaded the mags. We switch guns so he loads the 9 and I load the 40. Give Austin a little talk about looking at each round when chamber gauging and again when loading the mags. Next stage I get a high primer. Looks like that square deal is gone and I may just get another 1050. Check the rounds and find about 20 questionable rounds. Not entirely his fault since some of the brass had a military crimp, another reason for a 1050. 9mm is more of a pain that its worth. Cheap range brass doesn't equate to good ammo.

Now we move on to the 40. After loading the day before Ryan tells me the powder he put in was wrong cause it looked different. Found out he put the wrong powder in last time, 3n37 the 320 he just put in was right. He had already loaded 400 rounds. So I fired a few and checked the brass. Seemed ok so we used it. Well it ended up to be 6.8 grains behind a 180. We figure it to be about a 193 PF. A tad hot. It was shearing pieces of crap inside the gun and caused 2 jams. I got to try the new 2 minute rule as I took the gun apart on the line and reassembled in time to finish the stage. Pieces of metal were keeping it from going all the way into battery.

Bottom line we have had better days shooting. It just brings back one of the first lessons. Make sure you have good ammo, perfect ammo, if you expect to perform well.

<_< If you paid them to load the amoe = the problem would be called......> A lack of supervition< Or faliure to properly motivate ;)

Those pour picked on kids, I think your just a mean dad for making them load, AND Shoot ;)

<_< the next thing to happen is .. you will want them to mow the yard :blink:

Edited by AlamoShooter

LMAO too funny chuck. Thanks for sharing though. Kids gotta learn some way... just make sure it's with their ammo.

You are totally right about 9 major you have to have a pretty controlled source of brass to get things right. figure the brands of head stamp and sort out the ones that are known military crimp when you case gauge. those are practice ammo.

Our game is a matter of preparation ..... Eqpt., ammo, mental, physical, etc. It's all part of the big picture. If any one element fails ... the whole fails.

It's a tough lesson to learn, but it must be learned, and sometimes even re-learned at some point. Back to basics.

I'm glad you shared that story, and more importantly glad is wasn't any worse. Could have been allot worse. :o

Alls well that ends well.

<_< If you paid them to load the amoe = the problem would be called......> A lack of supervition< Or faliure to properly motivate ;)

Those pour picked on kids, I think your just a mean dad for making them load, AND Shoot ;)

<_< the next thing to happen is .. you will want them to mow the yard :blink:

Yea i am terrible. They had to mow first thing yesterday. Sitting on a tractor is hard work! Next time they have to weed eat also. They also had to take the cover off the pool. Its just unforgivable they have to do that so they can use the pool all summer. They have it so rough, they think so too.

If we could only instill in the kids the same knowledge we have come to learn that makes us know how good those years are and were and wish to have them back. I am sure every generation says the same thing. Reality is they wont understand what we are saying because they have not been through what we have, the things that made us come to learn. Thats why i dont let it bother me to much. One day they will say Dad I know what you meant now. Like I have said to my Dad. I am fortunate to still have my Dad around to talk about this and laugh about it with he and my sons. They still sit there with that dumbfounded, know it all , you just dont understand, smarter than you look. One day!

Chuck, sorry to hear about a "dissapointing"(never say bad) day at the range but maybe as Mr.Keen says it is a lesson that needed to be learned. ( thread drift) Thanks for the great service on my order a couple of weeks ago,e-mail confirming order and speedy service.(thread drift off) Chuck ,YOU DA MAN!!! :D

Scott

Chuck, sorry to hear about a "dissapointing"(never say bad) day at the range but maybe as Mr.Keen says it is a lesson that needed to be learned. ( thread drift) Thanks for the great service on my order a couple of weeks ago,e-mail confirming order and speedy service.(thread drift off) Chuck ,YOU DA MAN!!! :D

Scott

Yes you are right. I still had a good time spending time with my kids and friends.

Any day you can spend with people you care about doing something you love is a good day. :D

I learded a simmilar leason with my ammo a few months ago didn't resize my glock brass properly. Cause all kinds of problems :wacko: I had a good time shooting and waited until I got home to kick myself in the butt. :blink:

Your son still won open, how bad could it have been. You are very lucky you have great children, and they are a blast to shoot with. At least you now know you can shoot +++++P in your .40's to mess with the chrono guys.

Later

Jason Ratliff

Your son still won open, how bad could it have been. You are very lucky you have great children, and they are a blast to shoot with. At least you now know you can shoot +++++P in your .40's to mess with the chrono guys.

Later

Jason Ratliff

Thanks Jason. He and I was suprised on his win. I have his stages on video if I can figure out how to get it from camera to computer.

Time to teach them both a lesson Chuck.

Make them shoot single shot black powder flintlock pistols.

You might even want to send them out to mine their own coal so they can make the powder.

From everything I hear with the exception of Austins driving (LOL) you have a couple of good kids.

PS: Make Merlin sleep outside he sheds and spits up furballs.