Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tribrid Vs. Full Size Comp

TMC

I am considering building a 6" Tribrib barreled open gun and was wondering in anybody has shot one back to back with a "standrd" open gun with the full size comp? How do they compare with major loads?

Thanks

Years ago I was told by Chuck Bradly not to build one, he had and didn't like it. Being my normal hard headed self, I built one for my daughter. She loved it ( didn't know better).

It shot very flat and was fast handling, kicked straight back LIKE A MULE. Took her to Jr. camp, Kay Clark asked her to shoot it, she fired several rounds, handed it back and said

THAT KICKS TOO MUCH. Cost me more money, she now has a conventional comp on a shorty and found out what good is.

Dave Schattel

As DKS said, the vertical barrel ports make the gun pretty flat but the chamber wipers have very little surface area to soften up the recoil. For the ultimate you can get a hybricomp where you have a few ports to flatten the muzzle rise and then the comp chambers to soften up the recoil. If noise is a problem, the regular non-ported barrel and conventional comp work pretty good.

In 2000 Compitition Gun Works switched out a standard comped open gun with a Tribrid.

Super flat, no problems with major, ( 38super). Last year I started shooting a Major 9 6" Tribrid in a 5" STI. Super fast and flat, again no crono problems.

MVZ

Incidentally, Todd, it was the original Tribrid barrel that spawned the idea for the Viper you've got ;) It was short and light, but, at old Major, kicked like a mule, and moved extremely violently. In order to get it flat, you had to run 115s, which meant extreme pressures (like, imagine dropping primers out of once fired cases... into your mags... while you're shooting...).

I haven't shot one at current major...

Thanks for the input. I have a frame waiting to be built and I'd like to have an open gun that matches my 6" limited gun. I'm thinking tribrid for style over substance because the guns could look identical with the exception of the scope. OpnBlstr's gun in the gallery got me going this direction. I guess if I built it and its wasn't what I thought I could change out the barrel for a conventional barrel and comp and shorted up the slide.

todd-i had one built for a steel gun, with a 5" slide. put a docter on it and it's sweet for sub-minor. went i went to the 03 nationals, i set it up as a backup gun and shot major in it for a few matches. would never do it again. real, real snappy.

If having it look cool is more important than having it perform better, go with it. Otherwise, you will be disappointed with the performance compared to a more traditional design.