Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Transfer in Calif

AZONESHOOTER

so if you want to play this game and you just happen to come across a guy who needs to sell a brand new frame that is not registered, just pass it up....yeah right!

Just hope they dont ripe for 600.00 dollars or more!

If the frame is already registered in CA, then it can be transfered within CA. Stuff that's already made it's way into CA is "safe."

No clue on the non-registered stuff (though I'd assume that the DOJ would go ape-poop if they ever were able to track it down).

Any time you do a purchase/transfer of a handgun, you are registering it. It has been this way since the eighties.

There's no such thing as new frames in CA anymore, as only complete guns can be drop-tested. But you can transfer privately-owned frames and untested guns.

The frame carries the serial number and is really the only controlled part.  Slides, barrels, etc... are unaffected.  The gun or frame must have been transfered from an FFL to a buyer in California before the Safe Handgun bill went into effect.  There is no registeration.  

After the Safe Handgun bill went into effect only  guns that were on the Safe Handgun list can be sold new.  New frames even for guns on the Safe Handgun list cannot be sold in the Poeples Republic of Kalifornia.

AZONE,

To answer your question,  a private party, meaning somone who is not a FFL dealer, can transfer to another private party (or FFL for that matter) a frame or complete handgun in CA w/o any resrtictions provided the buyer can pass the background check.

Most FFL's will require both parties to be present at the same time to do the transfer. When they do so, they have to show ID proving they are both CA residents. It is illegal to bring a gun/frame not on the "approved list" into California for the purpose of sale. So in other words, you friend who lives in AZ can't buy the gun, drive to CA and sell it to you. The gun/frame has to be here already.

(Edited by warpspeed at 1:17 pm on Jan. 10, 2003)

I'm confused, Erick you mean that in CA the FFL holder completes a yellow sheet and also registers the gun with the state?  A yellow sheet is not registration.  Does the State hold a list of all serial numbers that are legal in CA?

Yes, you've got the feds' 4473 (yellow) plus the Caliban's DROS (dealer record of sale), which is partly computerized. The handgun is registered by way of the DROS.

Then there's the form for people who move from out of state to voluntarily register the handguns they bring in with them. Yeah, those forms are real popular, sure.

The instant check is a more efficient form of registration than the 4473, yet they both serve as registration.

Erick, thanks for the info on the DROS I don't live in CA and didn't know about it.  I have to disagree with your statement that the 4473 and instant check are registration.  A 4473 is never seen by the Feds unless a check is made on the dealer or the dealer quits bizzness and sends in all his 4473's. Instant check only tells the Fed's that you are purchasing a firearm and what type but no serial numbers are given.

2alpha,

let me see if I understand this

Hypothetically-

You live in TX and buy an STI. Dealer runs the NIC and you pass. He sells the gun to you. You take it home and put it in the safe.

That guns info and the serial number are not kept anywhere by the US DOJ? Really?