Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xd9 Or M&p9 For 3-gun Pistol ?

StealthyBlagga

I'm a long-time STI .40 Limited shooter. However, these days I mostly shoot 3-gun under IMGA rules, plus I just got into subgun shooting, so it would be logistically more convenient to switch to 9mm and load the same ammo for both disciplines. I'll just switch to Production for USPSA.

I want the highest feasible capacity in a designed-for-9mm Limited-legal pistol. I want a more single-action like trigger and a 1911 grip angle, so the Glock is out. I'm torn between the XD9 and the M&P9. The M&P holds one extra round, and gets rave reviews here and elsewhere. Its also made in the USA and parts are available, which is not an insignificant consideration for me. However, the XD9 has a strong track record too, and is also available with the 5" barrel/longer sight radius.

Part of my decision making process will be to touch and feel both, of course, but what do you guys recommend ? Has anyone tried both and come down one side or the other ?

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I've heard nothing but good things about the XD but on the other hand I haven't heard anything bad about the M&P either. The aftermarket items are more available for the XD but the M&P is coming on strong. I shoot the M&P9 and I love it. I don't think you could go wrong with either. Oh, and by the way the 5" is coming soon.

Edited by dcarter

Right now I would go with the XD. Arredondo has base pads that will fit it to maximize capacity for IMGA (22 or 23 rounds, I'm not sure). However, I know he's planning M&P pads as well. Sound's like parts availability is probably about the same between guns now. I'd just pick the one that fits better and get it.

I am not a 3 gunner, but I just picked up an M&P 9mm for my son to shoot at the Production nationals. The reason I chose the M&P is because it has a shorter reset out of the box than any of the XDs I have tried (better for smaller hands). I did a trigger job myself (per online instructions) and I have a nice, clean, 3lb trigger with very short reset. The trigger job was VERY easy and it took me about 4 hours to complete (taking my time). Dan Burwell can do the trigger if you are not comfortable trying.

I am not knocking the XD. I have shot many, including two that have Canyon Creek Trigger jobs. Canyon Creek does a fantastic job and the triggers are awesome - very similar to 1911s. But the ones we shot were a little long on the trigger and reset for my son. The plus for the XD is that they have a 5" model. It will be nice when S&W comes out with 5" model.

I really like the M&P so far and will be buying another shortly.

Edited by Jack Suber

I used a 4" xd 9 for 3 gun the last 2 years. I had + 2 base pads from peirce added. I am in the process of switching over to a 5" tactical model with arredondo pads. This should give me 21+ 1. I should have the whole setup within a week. I am pretty excited about it.