Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Warrenty Sold Cover 100% Parts And Labor Not

R/T Performance

Ok Well Here goes

I bought a New Toshiba laptop for my Auto repair shop.! year and a few months ago.

At the time of sale I was asked to purchase a Warrenty.(Normally I would have said hect NO)

But bieng my first ever new computer and bieng it was going to be used in my shop(Extreme hazordous conditions)What does it cover I asked.He replied everything.

I Replied even if somthing hits it or flys through the screen .

YES :o

Ok I spent the extra 139.99 for the 2 years(Knowing fully it had a 1 year manufactors warrenty.

So One day it won't power up.I send my son to drop it off .Then he calls and say's it will be 59.99 to back up the hard drive.I Said what????

Just bring back I willl have my buddy do it.

Low and behold the next morning I turn on and it works fine.

I use it for 4 days burn all my books on cd and Drop it off to be checked.

Then Friday 5 days later I get call it had a fluid spill on the keyboard and it's not coverd.

But???? even there webpage say's 100% compent replacment.

Manger of tech dept calls today and leaves message with my son.

Est to repair 801 Dollars :wacko:

I call back on a 600 dollar laptop?????

That worked when I sent it in???

Than cALLED STORE MANGER AND CORPRATE.

Filled a unhappy customer claim.

I been all over the manual/user guide and They claim that Liquid spill is considerd accidental damage and NOT COVERED.

Sorry about the run ons and bad spelling usig a borrowed computer that doesn't have spell check.(AND I AM ANGERY)

ANy Advice???

How do I take a corpration to small claims???

Edited by R/T Performance

Not a rebuttal, but a pointer to information you may wish to research. The COMPUSA terms are posted at

and the relative part would appear to be:
The following is applicable to all Plans EXCEPT PDA Replacement Plans and Laptop Screen

Upgrade: The Plan applies only to the operation or use of the covered product under conditions for which it was designed, and does not cover loss or damage resulting from external causes such as dropping the product, collision with an object, burglary, theft, vandalism, environmental conditions, fire, flooding, corrosion, sand, dirt, windstorm, hail, earthquake, or damage from exposure to weather conditions, misuse, abuse, neglect or accidental damage or damage resulting from improper use of any electrical power source. Damage incurred during transportation is not covered. In order for the Plan to be valid, you, the purchaser, must have or shall have performed by a qualified party any and all preventive maintenance recommended by the manufacturer to keep the covered product in normal operating condition. Loss or damage resulting from the failure to provide manufacturer’s recommended maintenance is specifically not covered by the Plan.

The following items, situations and circumstances are not covered by the Plan: the costs of all routine maintenance to your covered product; separately purchased cables, connectors, or other acces-

If these are indeed the terms to which you agreed, it may be an uphill battle proving that spilling water on the keyboard (if that is what really happened( is not misuse, abuse, neglect or accidental damage.

My guess is that a commissioned salesperson lied about what was covered to close the deal.

does not cover loss or damage resulting from external causes such as dropping the product, collision with an object, burglary, theft, vandalism, environmental conditions, fire, flooding, corrosion, sand, dirt, windstorm, hail, earthquake, or damage from exposure to weather conditions,

Nope was not imerssed or in a flood

misuse, abuse, neglect or accidental damage or damage resulting from improper use of any electrical power source.

Nope no improper use of power supply.

No I don't regard as a rebutil

Am I reading this wrong?

Edited by R/T Performance

does not cover loss or damage resulting from external causes such as dropping the product, collision with an object, burglary, theft, vandalism, environmental conditions, fire, flooding, corrosion, sand, dirt, windstorm, hail, earthquake, or damage from exposure to weather conditions,

misuse, abuse, neglect or accidental damage or damage resulting from improper use of any electrical power source.

Am I reading this wrong?

I hate tell you this, but yes, you're reading it wrong. The passage you quoted lists several different possibilities of out-of-scope damage. It's not trying to say that all of these will only be excluded if caused by an electrical source.

If their estimate is $801 to repair a $600 notebook, I wouldn't go anywhere near that deal. But, my biggest concern is that it was working when it was dropped off to them and now requires $801 of parts and labor to get it up and running. :wacko:

They'd have to explain to me very carefully.... :angry:

Am I reading this wrong?

I hate tell you this, but yes, you're reading it wrong. The passage you quoted lists several different possibilities of out-of-scope damage. It's not trying to say that all of these will only be excluded if caused by an electrical source.

If their estimate is $801 to repair a $600 notebook, I wouldn't go anywhere near that deal. But, my biggest concern is that it was working when it was dropped off to them and now requires $801 of parts and labor to get it up and running. :wacko:

They'd have to explain to me very carefully.... :angry:

Telll me about if it wAS ONE OF MY CUSTOMERS CARS THE state would be all over me :ph34r:

Telll me about if it wAS ONE OF MY CUSTOMERS CARS THE state would be all over me

Spilling water on a laptop keyboard is similar to hitting a solid object with the bumper of your car. Would the state be all over you for refusing to replace a fender free of charge if one of your customers whacked it in a parking lot?

Telll me about if it wAS ONE OF MY CUSTOMERS CARS THE state would be all over me

Spilling water on a laptop keyboard is similar to hitting a solid object with the bumper of your car. Would the state be all over you for refusing to replace a fender free of charge if one of your customers whacked it in a parking lot?

No

But if a customer drove through a puddle and called and said his brakes where acting funny.

Came in 4 days later and I tried to sell him a 9000 dollar brake job one his 6000 dollar car.

I WOULD BE CLOSED DOWN.

If it where parts he didn't need

Sorry you got Toshiba'd. My wife had one of their laptops and I fought with that POS until she finally dumped it. I have one of their VCR's and it is worthless.

I am still waiting for Chevrolet to explain to me how an unconditional "bumper-to-bumper" warranty does not cover tires, brakes or the clutch.

Who knew Chevy mounted those items out in front of the bumper?

I got screwed by CompUSA on a laptop a couple of years ago. I bought a floor model and the screen had a scratch near the bottom. Scratch turned into a full crack. CompUSA absolutely refused to back their product. Sony refused, too. It made me very happy when CompUSA had to close all their stores. Treating your customers like sh*t has consequences.

I got screwed by CompUSA on a laptop a couple of years ago. I bought a floor model and the screen had a scratch near the bottom. Scratch turned into a full crack. CompUSA absolutely refused to back their product. Sony refused, too. It made me very happy when CompUSA had to close all their stores. Treating your customers like sh*t has consequences.

Guess whta this store is closing :wacko:

I just got the call it's back and ready for pickup.Yet I never said to fix it or not Just made calls?????

I want to go look at carry 1911's any how mabye I will have my kid sit in the car with my ar for backup LOL.

No the plot really thickens.(PS I have spell check and will be using it)

I go to pick up my computer.Even though I didn't say fix it or not.

Get there and after 5 minutes he finally comes to the counter.

I gave him my name he came out with it. I open to see it is powered on already???

But the screen doesn't come on.

I ask why doesn't he response well those board degrade after the have liquid on them. Hmm Work when I sent it in???

I ask so if I take to another repair place and it's unplugged I can bring you the bill??

His reply this story will be closed!

I express my displeasure as bad is your customer service is I am not surprised.

I bring home and dissembled it and low and be hold the screen is not plugged in I thoroughly clean everything and put back together.

Powers up screen comes on but will not connect to the wireless router???

So I power back down and take a look sure enough the wireless card is only half way in the slot.

So long story short I will never do business with such a misleading irresponsible company. I sure there day's are numbered and I WILL GET THE LAST LAUGH WHEN THE FINISH FOLDING UP.

Every key works cd drive runs and every key op rates hmm wonder why the left the screen and wireless card disconnected?

To prove it really need a 800 repair??

I don't do business with COMPUSA unless I know they are losing money on it.

They are highly unethical. Not jsut their sales techniques, but how they treat their employees.

Like reducing your hours to zero rather than fire you to get out of paying unemployment. REducing your hours to zero when you qualify for benefits. Not to mention beating you into doing all the spiff/promo/warranty sales shenanigans without even necessarily giving you the comissions/bonuses that go with them.

Their store closings pretty much sum up their corporate incompetancy. At 30% off, their stuff is STILL overpirced because of how they procure inventory and do competitive pricing. The same logic made their corporate "discount" higher than off the shelf pricing.

Sorry to hear such a story of wasted time. I've never been a fan of extended warrnaties myself but I know those who are and swear by them.

As far as CompUSA, I never really cared for them. Price, service or selection. I know they did well for a while but perhaps like so many other chains before them, they have run thier course.

It sucks big time. All I can recommend is that next time you buy a hardened laptop, or get one from a manufacturer who offer complete coverage. For example for my wife's Dell I payed an extra $200 or so but when the dog ate the power supply they just mailed us a new one with a smile. And they even cover the hammer through the screen scenario as long as it is accidental.

It sucks big time. All I can recommend is that next time you buy a hardened laptop, or get one from a manufacturer who offer complete coverage. For example for my wife's Dell I payed an extra $200 or so but when the dog ate the power supply they just mailed us a new one with a smile. And they even cover the hammer through the screen scenario as long as it is accidental.

Thats what I thought I bought.

I have to say for the enviroment this toshiba is in it has held up quite well.

I will probally never buy an extended service plan agian.I never would have in the first place unless he told me it coverd anything.I was looking at Dell's but when my screen died on my Compaq (Note it was like 10 years old)My Mom gave me when I opened my shop I had to have somthing right away.To due invocing Ect.

I went to best buy and could not get waited on for nearly an hour than he wouldn't price match.

They need to get rid off there Laptop tech he obviously never even powerd it on he must just opened up and said Spill it need everything :wacko:

I hate Extended Warranty issues also. My Son bought a Video Camera and an extended warranty. When id died, long story short, it was no covered.

I am looking at a lap top now. THIS is what I want to buy.

I gotta get me one of these!

My Sony Vaio is not that forgiving.

Sorry you got Toshiba'd. My wife had one of their laptops and I fought with that POS until she finally dumped it. I have one of their VCR's and it is worthless.

Toshiba service is interesting. I bought a copy of the book "The World is Flat" by Tom Friedman when I faced a rather long flight - (most interesting since much of the book was about my destination - something I didn't notice when buying the book), and got to the chapter on Toshiba laptop repair.

Laptops are sent to Toshiba by UPS, so they figured out a way to cut out the middleman. The laptop you send in for repair never gets to UPS - it arrives at the UPS depot, and is taken to a nearby UPS computer repair facility that fixes it under contract to Toshiba and sends it back to you.

No, I don't think any gun companies are doing this. Yet :).

• 3 weeks later...

No but if I sold you a 900 repair for somthing that need the snow melted out from under the hood .or you decide not to fix it so I will just leave the battery post unhooked so you wont know it is not broke.

Ps The laptop been completly disassmbled and cleaned and working great Since the screen got plugged back in. :o:rolleyes: