Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Huh...what...hit Factor?

Jlaughl

The number of points shot on the target(s) divided by the amount of time it took (in seconds) to shoot them. The result is basically your average points per second for the entire stage.

Is that what you were looking for?

Edited by L9X25

You've already been told how to get HF (points-minus-penalties/time=HF).

Then, whoever has the high hit factor (HHF) for that stage is awarded all the available points (they may have only shot 97 of the 110 available points, but they get all the points for winning the stage).

Once that HHF is known, your HF divided by the HHF tells you your Stage Percentage. That stage percentage times the maximum points available is how many points YOU get for the stage. This means that each shooters' score is weighted against the winning score for that stage and an appropriate ratio is awarded. Example: HHF is 10.0 on a 120 point stage, your HF is 7.5, you get 80 points for that stage.

Add up all your stages points and that detrmines your Match Points. The shooter with the highest Match Points in your division wins.

ima45dv8 thank you for that excellent response.

I'm sitting here looking at results from the match I shot this weekend and trying to understand the fluctuations in HF between a group of 5 shooters and the differences in both stage points and overall scoring.

I had assumed that you would want a high hit factor number but as I look across the scores the lower the hit factor the better the placement of the shooter.

Does the hit factor calculation vary from one class to another or is it generically applied to all shooters across class separations?

I had assumed that you would want a high hit factor number but as I look across the scores the lower the hit factor the better the placement of the shooter.

the columns may not line up correctly. I would think that you are looking at the times. higher HF will always score better. sometimes the numbers are hard to see the HF are underlined in this example

Stage: 1 I'm So Tired!

Place Name No. Class Division Pts Pen Time Hit Fact Stg Pts Stg %

1 Michel, Max 13 M Open 82 0 7.38 11.1111 90.0000 100.00%

2 LaSavia, Stephen 14 A Open 83 0 8.06 10.2978 83.4123 92.68%

3 Dolly, Brian 41 B Open 86 0 8.86 9.7065 78.6227 87.36%

4 Martin, Jim 15 B Open 87 0 9.62 9.0437 73.2540 81.39%

5 Ingram, Chuck 16 C Open 75 0 10.52 7.1293 57.7474 64.16%

6 Schmidt, Roy 17 C Open 81 0 18.16 4.4604 36.1293 40.14%

The above are correct for Virginia Count and Comstock.

I've seen it done both ways, but I am pretty sure the correct way to score Fixed Time is to let a perfect score (all As) equal 100%. In some scoring programs that requires entering a fictitious shooter with all As on the Fixed Time stages, unless someone actually shoots a perfect score. There is no official hit factor on a Fixed Time stage, but you could manually divide the points by the time allowed (especially for your own score) in order to make a comparison.

Edited by richardschennberg

The above definitive explanations have been masterfully written.

As for your remaining confusion.

You are asking about the Hit Factor in an IPSC/USPSA Match? Then it's probably as scooterj said. It's easy to look at the time and confuse it with the HF and they are inversly proportional.

Not the scores from an IPDA, GSSF, ICORE or even some local Club Match that's using a different scoring system?

Those other's listed all use a different, time+point/penalty, scoring system that has the lower number winning. I could see someone saying the wrong thing and causing confusion.

One must always know the scoring system of the game they wish to play. ;)

Example: HHF is 10.0 on a 120 point stage, your HF is 7.5, you get 80 points for that stage.

you might want to check that math... ;):ph34r:

Don't confuse the issue with facts and logic! My mind is made up!

As Driver pointed out, my poor typing skills impeded my math and the actual points earned would be 90 instead of 80. :rolleyes: