Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Choice For Moly Bullets?

bp78

What powder do you suggest for moly bullets? I've been using Unique and have no complaints yet. I was going to switch to Titegroup but have heard some comments that it smokes heavily with the moly master blaster bullets.

Master Blaster recommends VV 320 for a load but that is a fairly pricey powder. Any suggestions for powders around the $100/8lbs price point?

Thanks.

bp

5" 1911 shooting 9mm minor 125gr MB

I don't care for Titegroup myself either. My preferences in 9mm is AA#7 or Blue Dot. Blue Dot is quite "flashy" and really doesn't seem to come on accuracy wise until you run it up there pretty good though. My next powder to try for 9's will be Ramshot True Blue. I've read really good things about it.

What powder do you suggest for moly bullets? I've been using Unique and have no complaints yet.
If it ain't broke...:)

I'd look at Clays. It's the fastest powder MB recommends. The downside for Clays is that the max load Hodgdon lists (3.3 grains) for lead bullets doesn't make minor according to their data. The load for jacketed bullets (3.7 grains) does, and would probably be safe in a 1911 with the coated bullets.

I've just tried it in .38 Special with 160 grain coated RNs from Billy Bullets, and it works pretty well...as long as you don't mind fudging on the charge weights. It took .3 grains over their max load to make a 130 PF from a "fast" 4" revolver.

how do you guys clean the barrel and comp with this Moly lead bullets?

You shoot jacketed bullets with VV powder :huh:

This is one area if you want to drive an FI car you dont feed it cheap fuel.

I had to try a few just to know, had cr+p all over my comp and blast shield, it didnt clean till i shot a bunch of jacketed loads and wore stuff off. They did smoke like lead also.

This whole thing of using a slower powder to keep them from smoking like a train is counterproductive to soft loads.

Just how bad is burning plastic molly anyway?

Edited by blkbrd