Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 24 Or 35

Rather-B-Huntin

After nearly three years and 10,000 rounds of utterly reliable service from my G34 in Production (and being pretty damned closed to cracking into A class), I've decided to go Glock all the way in USPSA competition and be done with the headaches delivered by not being able to shoot a 1911 as good as my Glock.

I'm going to have S & J Custom build me an Open gun out of a 17, but I'm at kind of a quandry over which model to shoot in Limited.

I've got a couple of buddies whom shoot 35's, and I've shot them and like them pretty well.

But I wanna hear from those who have them about the 24's. John at S & J highly recommends the 24, and I'm leaning strongly towards his advice and getting one! But would like to hear a few more "war stories" from others whom have experience with both the G35 and G24 before making the commitment.

Please, give me the why and why nots of why you do/don't like the specific model (24 and 35 only).

Thanks!

The 35 is obviously very popular (we see many more of those at local matches than 24's), and I suspect availability is part of that. I've shot John's pistols and came away with the realization that no what model G-Lock I might one day wish to shoot in Limited/Limited-10, it would be based on John's advice. Maybe that's your answer.

I'm sorry if this reply wasn't specific enough, but I'm just not as experienced with G-Locks as other people.

I'm going to have S & J Custom build me an Open gun out of a 17, but I'm at kind of a quandry over which model to shoot in Limited.

I've got a couple of buddies whom shoot 35's, and I've shot them and like them pretty well.

But I wanna hear from those who have them about the 24's. John at S & J highly recommends the 24, and I'm leaning strongly towards his advice and getting one! But would like to hear a few more "war stories" from others whom have experience with both the G35 and G24 before making the commitment.

Please, give me the why and why nots of why you do/don't like the specific model (24 and 35 only).

It is my understanding that the G24 can't be used in Limited Division because it won't fit in the box. The barrel length for USPSA Limited Division is 5.5 inches max. That should make your decision pretty simple. You can either shoot the G35 in Major, or shoot a G34 in Minor. 9mm Major is also not allowed in Limited Division. I'm somewhat of a rookie so hopefully the "experts" will verify what I've said.

-Cuz.

It is my understanding that the G24 can't be used in Limited Division because it won't fit in the box. The barrel length for USPSA Limited Division is 5.5 inches max. That should make your decision pretty simple. You can either shoot the G35 in Major, or shoot a G34 in Minor. 9mm Major is also not allowed in Limited Division. I'm somewhat of a rookie so hopefully the "experts" will verify what I've said.

-Cuz.

There's no box for Limited Division (USPSA). I believe you are thinking about Modified Division (IPSC). And the max barrel length applies to USPSA Production Division.

G24 is fine. I don't see a down side except maybe more weight than the G35.

Edited by racerba

-Cuz.

There is no box for Limited Division. There is also no size restriction on a Limited gun, currently. The current version of USPSA Rules can be found Here. HTH.....

I like my G24. You have an inch longer barrel over the G35. Holster selection for the G24 seems to be a little more limited. I have been shooting mine out of a CR Speed holster which was fast, but the A class shooter here with a G35 was as fast or faster out of his Blade-tech DOH. I have now switched to a DOH just because I wanted the security of the DOH while 3-gunning and only having one holster for all of my shooting. I didn't like the idea of having the front end of my gun (CR Speed) in the dirt if I had to go prone with the rifle/shotgun.

I too contemplated going with the G35, but stuck with my G24. Since you have a G34, might just get youself a G35 upper. But having the G24 in the cabinet with the other Glocks makes for a happier Glock owner :wub:

-Cuz.

Oops. I've recently been reading the Production rules in anticipation of competing in that division this weekend and became confused. That's where I read about the 5.5 inch barrel restriction. Sorry about that.

-Cuz.

I have the 24 & 35. I shot both in big matches. I like the weight balance of the 35 better. The 24 seems little front heavy due to the slide & barrel. I do not use any mag well on both gun.

The 35 with a tungsten guide rod is a well balance gun. I like the 24, I shoot my 34 & 35 more often so my favortism lean toward these guns. Like anything else, if you use more often you will get use to it. I sure Dave S. would use the 24 if it was that much better.

Don't own a G24, but shot a buddy's shortly after he got it. I perceived that the front sight lifted up "higher" in recoil than on a G35, which is likely due to the longer barrel/slide. Also, the slide seemed quite slow, but I suspect that was due to my buddy's very LITE reloads.

I'd get both, test them out, and keep the one I preferred (or just keep both). Cheers,

-br