Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Need Cheaper Bullets

DaveM

Ok, I have used Zero bullets since I got a .40 and moved to limited a couple of years ago, but the price has gotten pretty steep. I have an STI trusight and a Older Benny Hill 6" limited gun and both shoot the Zeroes great. I have tried Berry's which shot terrible in both. Raniers which shot great in the Trusight and just barely OK in the 6". Precision Delta's where just so so in both guns. I tried the master blasters coated bullets in the 6" but not in the Trusight (no way to scrape lead out of the expansion chamber thing) they shot terrible. I am using 180 gr bullets and 4.5 gr tightgroup.

I think I need at least 3" 5 shot groups at 25 yards, so far only the Zero's in both guns and the Raniers in the Trusight will do it. Problem is I want to use the 6" as my primary gun and I don't want to pay $115/1000 for Zero's.

Does anyone have any suggestions? (I mean other than buy a 9mm and go back to production)

Forgot to mention that Bear Creek is close to one of my fellow shooters home so he gets it at a pretty good price. It shoots good too. There may be a lead bullet type dude or dudette near you.

You may want to concider a powder change to get rid of some of the problems you were having. I don't want to fan the flame but I shoot N310 and got 15.5 pounds for $238 and sold some off. Tightgroup is almost as fast but way dirtier compaired to N310. Most of the big guys shoot Clays and feel they are still 10% under case head separation, even with a +0.1 gn flux in charge. Tight group just burns very hot....and can smoke way more than some other choices. Have you asked the guys at precision what powder they prefer?

You may want to call Berrys and tell them about the accuracy problems, and try some new bullets, many of us had problems with undersized bullets from them last year. Seems to have been fixed now.

I have an STI trusight and a Older Benny Hill 6" limited gun and both shoot the Zeroes great.

Raniers which shot great in the Trusight

Your answer is right there. Since Zeros shoots great in your primary gun, stick with them until you find better. Shoot the Raniers out of the true sight. Yes, you will be loading two bullets, but since you are concern about prices, the Raniers will cut your price down a little. Just keep them seperated.

Montana Gold?

One way to cut costs is buy large quantities. Don't even think about 1 or 2 thousand. Buy in 10's of thousands. Get a group buy together to get a bulk order. You save on freight often and you the best prices.

Do be careful about changing bullets as different bullets feed differently.

Jim

Your right about the titegroup with the master blasters. They recomend a slower powder. I'm going to try that. I am going to try some lead from a local bullet caster. Also thanks for the info on the berry's I'll mic them. I have had these bullets since last year. I used to get decent groups with berry's in my glock with the same load. Thanks for the info everyone.