Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting From Windows, Ports, Etc, Etc ....

Stefano

Hi guys,

firts of all my best easter wishes to all of you and your families ...

I am serching some good tips about shooting from ports, windows, etc. etc at different hights:

- how to approach to the port

- how to "enter" and to "exit" from it

- what are the most important things to take in evidence related to this skill

Anybody can help me ?

Thanks in advance !

Stefano

Edited by Stefano

And Happy Easter to you too....

As for ports, (though with the scores I've been shooting lately, my tips may hurt more than help, : :blink: ) during the walk through determine whether you can engage targets through the port on your approach or exit if you don't have to be in a "box" at that port. That way your engaging of the port "array" starts sooner or you'll be able to move away sooner. Unless it's a real contortion, take the most open target first as you'll be doing it while you're coming to the full stop you'll need for the rest of the array or hardcover/no shoot obscured targets. Try to see if there's a "natural" engagement sequence left to right - right to left - high vs low - near to far - or vice versa. Determine if a reload is necessary prior to the port or can be done immediately after. And don't, if possible, ever stick your gun/arms/body through the port; extricating yourself just wastes time and could get you DQ'ed if you get hung up and break the 90.

Bongiorno from Afghanistan!

Happy Easter to you.

To answer your question, I have two tips. First, get the Practical Shooting Video Series from Matt Burkett. Vol. 1-3 should cover the technique you're looking for getting into and out of ports fast.

One thing that Matt showed me and I can remember if it's in the video is what he calls cheating the barricade (works for the port too). If you can see the targets before you have to say shoot around a barricade, see them as you get to the barricade and "see them" as the barricade is now in front of your field of view. When you become clear of the obstacle, be ready to engage.

This works for ports too, if you're not like in a tunnel, or have some monster wall in front of you. For that, good thorough visulization is key.

Rich

When you can't see the targets as your going in to the port, pick a spot on the edge of the port that is at the same height as the first target you want to engage. From your previous shooting position, look to that next spot as a way to index your eyes and your gun to a target you can't actually see. It helps get you going on the first target you want to engage, instead of spending valuable time hunting for what you are going to shoot.

The same can be done with your feet. If possible, know the best position to stop in front of a port in order to see as much of the array as necesarry. Much better than getting into a position and having to shuffle around searching for the next target.

Ignore them as much as possible...and don't be afraid to charge them.

It's slightly counter-intuitive, but hanging back for a harder shot is usually slower.

Also, pick a visual marker for the set up where you KNOW a target is in view. Do NOT screech in there and LOOK for something to shoot.

If lowering your stance is required, get that done on the way in. And, learn to get moving AS you are shooting the last shots of an array. Pick up a foot, lean, do something to start the process of getting the hell outta Dodge.

SA

i suggest being short. i have discovered in my 6'4" experiences that me and ports don't really fit one another. other than that, i have no other advice as i am still adapting to shooting like the hunchback of notre dame on port stages and suck in general :D .

frye

i suggest being short. i have discovered in my 6'4" experiences that me and ports don't really fit one another. other than that, i have no other advice as i am still adapting to shooting like the hunchback of notre dame on port stages and suck in general :D .

frye

I'm with you Frye... Perhaps we should learn to "knee walk."

frye

Ehmmm ... by the way: I'm 6'6" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

In my next life I'll ask my mamy to make me a little bit shorter, and possibly much more FASTER ... :D:D:D

Edited by Stefano

frye

Ehmmm ... by the way: I'm 6'6" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

In my next life I'll ask my mamy to make me a little bit shorter, and possibly much more FASTER ... :D:D:D

see, i was right :D . you're just too tall.

frye

Frontsight has another tip about shooting through ports.

In summary;

1. when you get to the port get the gun far enough in so you can see everything. You do not want to reposition yourself once you are at the port.

2. Drop your center of gravity

3. Taran uses his front leg to slow himself down when entering and for pushing off when leaving

4. Some use the 'go to the mark on the window sill, ground etc' approach others move far enough to see all that they need to see.

5. I know an Open A class AZ shooter who starts shooting through the port a good fifteen feet before he reaches it if he can see the target. He often maps his approach so he can start seeing the targets as soon as possible.

Remember to:

Get to the shooting quickly.

Get to the next shooting area quickly.

What those two statements translates is, unless you can't engage the targets otherwise, don't stick the gun way into the port. What you stick in before you shoot you have to pull out after you're done, and that will cost you time.

+1 on tracking the target and having the gun on it even before you reach the shooting position.

Many ports don't allow you to engage all the targets without moving, or at least shifting your weight on your feet.

If you need to leave the port and move to the right, start shooting targets on the right, then shift your mass to the right in order to engage targets from right to left...I think of the port as a pivot point, and keep my momentum. It's faster and smoother than shooting the targets in the same direction you're going (left to right, in this e.g.).

This is just an example of picking an optimum engagement order for the targets, and not a "rule" or a "law"...it might not be the best way for any particular port.

DD