Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Act

Just the act of noticing is an interesting topic itself. What makes you become aware of a specific  thought or idea, for example? And what about when you notice that you haven't really noticed anything in quite some time now? That's a weird one.

What is it that notices?

be

My thoughts is for me it's not that I'm seeing something, it's that what I'm seeing suddenly has a different meaning.   Like my target example.. plunk, plunk, plunk, they were all going in the same place on the target.   Wasn't until some other part of the brain said "Yeah, but look at _where_ that hole is", that I really 'noticed' anything.

I notice things when I pay attention, or turn off autopilot, or turn on autopilot and observe the shooting.

Like how my front sight goes up and to the right a shade.

How my reloads get more consistent when I get the gun a little closer to my eyes.

good stuff.

SA

The act of noticing, for me, is truth. It is becoming aware of something, it could be a feel, sight, sound etc., without the filter of preconcieved ideas.

When you notice something, you are seeing it in a pure state of openmindedness. You did not expect to notice it, you can't plan to notice something, it just occurs to you at the time it is happening. Once you have noticed it though, it becomes memory. You will not 'notice' it again in pure form. The next time it is 'noticed' it will be compared to previous recollection which acts as a filter. I think you can only truly notice something once. Once you are aware of it, you will probably try to see/feel/hear it again and if you do, it will be filtered through previous memory and compared. Noticing has to be purely spontanious. You notice in a true state of awareness. After that it becomes thought.

If you notice that you haven't noticed, you are operating in the world of what you 'know' and are not accepting new inputs. How much went on around you today that you did not notice? What was your mind blind to?

A good analogy is sneaking up on someone. Why do people act so startled when they realize you are there? I love doing this by the way, I'm pretty good at going unnoticed :)

Try it sometime, sneak up behind someone, then do something to get their attention (cough). More often than not they will jump. They are startled because they didn't 'notice' you there. They KNEW there was no-one behind them, only to turn around and there you are. The mind reacts because it did not notice you approaching. So it is closed to the possiblity that there is now a presence it is unaware of.

What else might you have not noticed today?  

Pat,

I've always enjoyed sneaking up on folks as well. When I was a (mischievous) kid, I crawled up behind the chair of a guy waiting to go onto the basketball court and tied his shoelaces together. Yes, when they called him to go in he jumped up enthusiastically and fell right on his face. Now that was some fun.

:)