Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

For You Sci Fi And Fiction Readers - Try John Ringo's Books

xpd54

I'm about one-third the way thru Allen Steele's Orbital Decay novel. Egad, what good writing! It's like watching a movie... you can almost hear some kind of dramatic soundtrack under it all! Want to know what it's like working on a space station? Steele will put you there. Great stuff! Really. B)

Just moments ago: I found Labyrinth of Night on eBay and will follow Orbital... with this one. Cool. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I finished Orbital Decay and Labyrinth of Night and am well into Lunar Descent, with The Jericho Iteration waiting in the wings. Yes, I went nutz. But I'll tell ya, you need to take jhgtyre's recommendations seriously at all times. He knows his stuff. This isn't the first time I've done this. B)B)

• 1 month later...

I'm now over halfway finished with Larry Niven's The Mote in God's Eye and it really is good. Describes a tricky first encounter with an intelligent alien race. Combination of scientific and military in tone, but portrays both the human perspective and the perspective of the alien race. Good stuff. B)

Historic Sci-Fi

The Lensmen Series by E.E. Smith. All but the very last book Children of the Vortex are excellent and follow each other well.

If you liked Enger's Game, try Ender's Shadow, although you may find it inthe yound adult section. My next is I think, Speaker for the Dead.

Anyone remember the old two-fer books, bound back to back and inverted? THere were a few I really wish I had kept. I could recount much of the story, but have no idea of titles or authors.

Jim

Here I am two hours after reading your post and checking out the web site @ 1632 by Eric Flint - Baen Books - Chapter 12

I WILL finish this online book before I sleep.... :(:lol:;)

Vlad got me hooked on that series......

.....it's my little sanity break from textbooks.....

I'm now over halfway finished with Larry Niven's The Mote in God's Eye and it really is good. Describes a tricky first encounter with an intelligent alien race. Combination of scientific and military in tone, but portrays both the human perspective and the perspective of the alien race. Good stuff. B)

That is a great book. He wrote a sequel, The Gripping Hand (I think), which was chock full of "Motie" goodness but not nearly as entertaining as the Mote in God's Eye.

-ld

Here I am two hours after reading your post and checking out the web site @ 1632 by Eric Flint - Baen Books - Chapter 12

I WILL finish this online book before I sleep.... :(:lol:;)

Vlad got me hooked on that series......

.....it's my little sanity break from textbooks.....

The latest book in the 1632 series, 1634 The Baltic War, has a CD in it with all the previous 1632 books and others on it.

Sorry for the library list, but I read way too much... :wacko:

SCI-FI

Orson Scott Card - Ender Series

Peter F. Hamilton - The Night's Dawn Trilogy

James Patterson - Maximum Ride Series, When the Wind Blows

Robert Heinlein - Starship Troopers, Stranger in a Strange Land, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

FANTASY

Robin Hobb - The Far-seer Trilogy

Dean Koontz - Odd Thomas

David Eddings - The Belgariad

George R.R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire Series

Raymond Feist - The Serpentwar Saga

The Lensmen Series by E.E. Smith. All but the very last book Children of the Vortex are excellent and follow each other well.

In high school I read the entire Lensman series in order except the school didn't have Gray Lensman and, for some reason, I wasn't even able to finish Children of the Vortex. It just didn't grab me. In general, I think E.E. Smith was a genius, who pretty much invented the entire genre of space opera. One day I'm going to sit down and reread the entire series, this time including Gray Lensman and Children of the Vortex.

If you liked Enger's Game, try Ender's Shadow, although you may find it inthe yound adult section. My next is I think, Speaker for the Dead.

I found the Ender series a bit of a disappointment. The first novel is, of course, incredible. Speaker for the Dead is a serious step down in quality. Before you read it, you need to know it didn't start out as an Ender novel; when Card found himself stuck, halfway through the book, he realized the solution to the problem was to bring in Ender. So you wind up with about half of a really boring novel, with Ender stuck on the latter half. Xenocide was horrible, and therefore I haven't even read Children of the Mind. YMMV.

Anyone remember the old two-fer books, bound back to back and inverted?

The Ace Doubles. A lot of people including me remember those fondly. Strangely enough I was just talking to a friend about those a few nights ago. The Tor Doubles - years later following the pattern of the Ace Doubles - were also great, especially the one featuring Joan D. Vinge's Tin Soldier back-to-back with Norman Spinrad's Riding the Torch.

Holee Crap... Boy, do I have a reading list now , or what?????? :rolleyes:

Oh, and I'm just about done with The Mote in God's Eye if anyone would like to read it! Just PM me your name and mailing address and I'll Media-Mail it to you shortly. This one's too good NOT to share. jhgtyre is right. Again. :cheers:

I read several by Stephenson over a year or so. Took Snow Crash with me to the hospital* when I had my hip replaced. It was a great read! Each of his books are rather different from one another though. They're not all Snow Crash... especially Cryptonomicon. Also try his Diamond Age, Zodiac... and I actually even found a copy of In the Beginning Was the Command Line.

And if you want really spooky, paranormal sci-fi, try David Ambrose. :ph34r:

*That's where this BE.com "recommended reading" thing actually began.

• 1 month later...

Suggestion from a really old sci-fi reader (who can remember when David Drake was a bus driver).

Fairly new writers - John Scalzi series (Old Man's War, Ghost Brigade, Last Colony) and Alastiar Reynolds (almost any of his books)

Older, but entertaining Brian Daley (The Adventures of Hobart Floyt & Alacrity Fitzhugh)

Really entertaining L. Neil Smith (Probability Broach through some of the later stuff, then it gets a little too thck and less tounge in cheek).