Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rebarrel

Nate

Running STI mags without spacers is a PITA, really. I just about have it figured out, but SV mags run great once you tune them without spacers. If you are willing to load short call JL Hardy and have him set up some mags for you, his spacers are really nice, his mags are tuned nicely, and he is a heck of a nice fella. With the spacers you will have to load to 1.165 or shorter.

9mm major is really nice to shoot. Lots of the guys that have shot Open a long time and are really good tell me my 9mm major gun is as flat as their Super, as fast, and feels great. The good news is that after they put 20-60 rounds through it we walk away talking about it instead of picking brass. I am out less than a buck in brass costs and they would be out several dollars.

My Para was a 38 Super when built in '96. In 2005, I rebarreled it to 9mm, adjusted the extractor, and have been having more fun than I ever did when it was a Super.

Cost and simplicity were the reasons I changed. I get once fired brass free. So I no longer spend time picking up brass after shooting. I also don't have to worry about running cases through the Case Pro to make sure they will feed.

The other advantage is I can switch to a 7 lb recoil spring and shoot standard 9mm ammo in it.

Craig

Edited by spd522

Cost and simplicity were the reasons I changed. I get once fired brass free. So I no longer spend time picking up brass after shooting.

Just a comment: We all need to be sure to pick up our mess (brass, targets, etc...) after we are done shooting. For all I know Craig shoots at a range where someone, paid or otherwise, comes by to sweep up all the brass on a regular basis. I am not in any way trying to call him a litter bug but I thought it was an important aside to this conversation.

Back on topic:

I also had my .38 super converted to 9mm because of the annoyance of lost brass. It was new barrel time anyway and now I can sell all my super brass to help pay for the conversion (sorry I already have a buyer :) ). Thankfully all of my mags work without spacers in the 9mm setup. I have a mix of STI, SVI and SPS mags and so far they all perform well. The SVI mag that I have "feels" the best when I am loading it. You may want to try out your mags before buying spacers to see if they work without them. I tend to load long which probably helps with this.

-ld

I love 9 major :)

I have both of my STI trubors tuned in now :D

I am using sti mags with spacers 1.1750 ol NO mag problems.

I have been buying once fired brass on ebay some times I can get nickel for under $10.00 per k and up to $30.00 per k so far no bad brass deals :)

I have tested reloading @ 170PF up to 7 times with no ill effects....but I give my old brass to minor shooters after 3 loadings.

Good luck on your change over :rolleyes:

Jim

Cost and simplicity were the reasons I changed. I get once fired brass free. So I no longer spend time picking up brass after shooting.

Just a comment: We all need to be sure to pick up our mess (brass, targets, etc...) after we are done shooting. For all I know Craig shoots at a range where someone, paid or otherwise, comes by to sweep up all the brass on a regular basis. I am not in any way trying to call him a litter bug but I thought it was an important aside to this conversation.

You are pretty much correct. The ranges I shoot at regularly have some guys that are considered "brass whores" and scarf up every piece they can find. They love it that many of us don't pick ours up and prefer us to leave it all the time.

I also shoot at many "lost brass" matches. So not being concerned about leaving the brass at these matches is also a bit of a relief to me compared to cringing when I had to leave 300+ pieces at a match shooting the 38 Super.

Now I still scrounge for my 45acp brass when shooting those bad boys when I can.................. ;)

Craig

Thanks, I will probably send it off this summer. I am a limited shooter but have a wife and son that are starting to shoot.

About time you let the family come out & play.

Does this mean that I won't have to save the SC brass for you & can give it to the short guy in sandals that wanted them after A1.