Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem With Primer Depth

I have done a search here and could not quite find what I was looking for in the way of an answer to my specific problem. I finished setting up my xl650 and loaded my first 50 reloads. After inspecting the finished bullets I noticed that 9 of the primers were not recessed. The primers would be flush with the case or extended beyond the case.

I read the manual again and checked a few of the FAQ's here and decided that maybe I was not pushing the handle aft consistantly. I loaded 50 more with a minimum improvement. I am operating the handle slowly, smoothly and deliberately to make sure that the primer should seat properly.

I would assume that the reloads with the primer not fully seated would not be safe to shoot and will likely discard them. Other than the primer issue I am very pleased with the results of the first 100 reloads and the xl650 is even better that I had anticipated.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.

Slowhand,

I think you hit the nail on the head. You must push the handle back fully to seat the primer each and every cycle. After a few hundred rounds you should get the "feel". If I have to stop during a reloading session, I got in the habit of pushing the handle back as soon as I restart just to be sure I had seated the primer. If this doesn't work, I would give Dillon a call.

I would assume that the reloads with the primer not fully seated would not be safe to shoot and will likely discard them. Other than the primer issue I am very pleased with the results of the first 100 reloads and the xl650 is even better that I had anticipated.

I wouldn't consider them unsafe but they may not fire with the first hammer fall, keep them aside and try them at your next practice session.

Slowhand,

Merely returning the handle to the upright position is NOT enough. You need to apply pressure to seat the primer to the desired depth. Your pressure determines the depth to which the primers are seated. Caution ... pressing too hard could lead to a BANG. As others have said, you will get the "feel" of it very quickly.

Edited by L9X25

I loaded another batch last night paying close attention to seating the primer and had no issues with primers not seating deep enough. I did however notice the primers were dented so I was a little too firm this time.

I guess with more experience I will find the touch and the happy medium.

Thanks again.

I loaded another batch last night paying close attention to seating the primer and had no issues with primers not seating deep enough. I did however notice the primers were dented so I was a little too firm this time.

I guess with more experience I will find the touch and the happy medium.

Thanks again.

Dented primers are not normally a result of pressing too hard. More often, there's a grain or so of powder on the top of the primer seating ram. Keep an eye on it and wipe it off every so often and you should have better luck.

As someone else said, high primers aren't usually a safety issue on their own, but they can lead to misfires. I'd separate the high primer rounds and use them for practice, probably loading only one round at a time while practicing draws or something similar.

Lee

Lee Bell, Thanks for the input on the loads with the high primers. I have them set aside.

On a side note I shot my first 100 rounds of reloads yesterday. I was loading .45 and used a 200 gr. LSWC over 3.6 gr. of Clays for 50 rounds. The next 50 using 3.8 of Clays. The loads with 3.8 were flawless. The loads with 3.6 failed to lock the slide back on a 4 rounds. Considering I was using a 18 1/2# spring really better than I had anticipated.

Both loads were drop dead accurate but very dirty. I assume with the light loads there is not enough heat to burn as cleanly as the Clays is capable of. I am hooked on reloading for sure.

Slowhand-

On a side note, try a 14lb spring in your 45. I think you will like it a lot better. Also, get away from the lead bullets if you can afford it. Lead smokes a lot when shot, even outdoors. Not to mention possibly leading up your bbl. I like Zero's or MG's. 230's over 4.0gr. of Clays is a sweet load for USPSA.

Best,

Nick-

Slowhand,

You want to learn a little "two-stage" or "two-step" push, when seating the primer. You "feel it in." You pause slightly as you feel the primer just touching the primer pocket; then you seat it with a nice firm push. Doing it like that allows you to develop and refine the effort and feeling of the "last push." Feel it touch, then seat it.

be

Thanks BE. I am going to load a few today and I will definately try to " feel it touch and then seat. Chmrr, thanks for the headsup on the military crimp as well.

I have quite a bit of mixed headstamp brass I have collected and so far have only used the Winchester brass. Being very new to reloading I figured trouble shooting any issues I might encounter would be a little easier if the brand of brass was consistant.

Being the outstanding site and source of information you guys have maintained, I am going to do a search here to figure which of various brands of brass to keep and use.

Thanks again to all.