Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extra Loud Reloads

Shawn Knight

I was given some reloading equipment a few weeks ago so I thought I would give reloading a shot. I decided to load up some 9mm ammo. It seems that my reloads are much louder and kick more than the Winchester ammo I normally shoot. I followed the directions I was given so it should be working.

First I made all the shells smaller and took the old primers out with the first die. I put primers into the shells. That was much harder than it seemed. Next I filled the cases up with gun powder. I used some gun powder that was labeled “titegroup” that I was given. I was told to use the little yellow scoops and fill the shell up to the top. This was the hardest part for me. I don’t see how anybody does this. I had to take a little a bit of gun powder out of each shell to get the bullets I was given to start into the shell. Once I took about an eighth of an inch out, everything worked well. I then just used the press and put the bullet in.

Things were sort of strange when I shot the shells. The pistol was really loud and kicked more than normal. Do reloads kick more that factory ammunition? Or maybe I am just imagining things. I think I am doing everything right. Just making sure that the extra noise is normal.

Shawn... I don't mean this to be an insult or anything, but.... are you pulling our leg?? ;)

That said... :) Without a scale, you have no idea what you're really loading, advice or not. I don't have experience w/ TG in 9mm, but if its filling the case, I'd say you probably have a rather hot load, there. In fact, until you can weigh that charge, and find out how heavy it is (compared to Hodgdon's loading data), I wouldn't shoot any more of them.

Is the powder in a factory Titegroup container? If not, I would highly recommend discarding it, and buying some fresh powder, as well. If you cannot verify where it came from, and that it is, in fact, Titegroup, you cannot trust that powder at all. Even if you can trust who you got the stuff from, you can't be certain they didn't make a mistake - and its your gun and your life we're talking about....

Reloads can have more recoil than factory loads - in fact, for some purposes, a hotter than factory load is desirable. For our game, though, pretty much everyone that is running reloads are running stuff that recoils less than factory ammo, or with a different profile.

What kind of equipment are you working with?

I've been away shooting a club match today, but I'll bet he's the 1st one to try and pull one like that today! :D

GOTCHA! ;)

Wish I had thought of it ...... of course he shoulda said the powder was "Bullseye" and was told because of the name, it would help him shoot more accurately.

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

I was given some reloading equipment a few weeks ago so I thought I would give reloading a shot. I decided to load up some 9mm ammo. It seems that my reloads are much louder and kick more than the Winchester ammo I normally shoot. I followed the directions I was given so it should be working.

First I made all the shells smaller and took the old primers out with the first die. I put primers into the shells. That was much harder than it seemed. Next I filled the cases up with gun powder. I used some gun powder that was labeled “titegroup” that I was given. I was told to use the little yellow scoops and fill the shell up to the top. This was the hardest part for me. I don’t see how anybody does this. I had to take a little a bit of gun powder out of each shell to get the bullets I was given to start into the shell. Once I took about an eighth of an inch out, everything worked well. I then just used the press and put the bullet in.

Things were sort of strange when I shot the shells. The pistol was really loud and kicked more than normal. Do reloads kick more that factory ammunition? Or maybe I am just imagining things. I think I am doing everything right. Just making sure that the extra noise is normal.

Everything sounds fine. After all, you are reloading primarily to get louder, more powerful bullets, right?

Happy April Fool's Day.

Lee

Everything sounds fine. After all, you are reloading primarily to get louder, more powerful bullets, right?

Happy April Fool's Day.

Lee

Yeah you know for self defense!! LOL!!! :D

Mods I think it is time to move this one to Humor section!!!

4th of July will be coming up soon ............. shouldn't you be trying to make some Roman Candle 9mm's ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hmm.... I do need to get rid of a bunch of power!

Wonder how H110 works in 9mm?

Maybe some 4895 or RE15....

It would be a good fireworks show!

I've actually inadvertantly loaded some H335 into a 357 magnum case thinking ot was WW540 (hs6 equiv) some years back. Other than getting powder all over the place, and poofing the bullet into the barrel, it doesn't do anything. Not enough pressure to do anything but fizzle. You can't get enough H110 into a 9mm to really do much more than get a bullet stuck in the barrel. I did some experimenting with H110 and a 38 super with 130 gr bullets, and I could not get enough powder into the case to make major. I was able to load the powder and compress it a bit, I think I made like 140 or 150 PF, but then I ran out of case volume.

That was a cute use of april fools day ;)

Vince

Edited by sargenv

LOL, that was funny!!! Next year make it Clays in 40, with 200 grain 'heads', maybe even add something about having to seat them 3 or 4 times to get the bullets to quit trying to pop back out......

Dang,

it sounded a lot like an experience I had when I was in high school. I blew up a gun with a hand made reload and luckily no one was hurt. (shame and guilty look icon here)

I've come a long way since that time.

The post had me thinking that nobody could be as dumb as I once was :o

Good April Fools joke

dj