Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver shooters...

• 2 weeks later...

High cap guys don't have to count, we just say eeehhh that looks like a good place to reload, i'll do it there!

What Flex is talking about i'm sure are stages that a man with a wheel gun doesnt' think on. take the classifier "fish house encounter" i talked to the RO at the end of the day, apparently BILL and myself were the only 2 who did that stage with only 1 reload, everyone else reloaded between the positions, instead of shooting the left side, 2 rounds through center port, reload, everything on the right side, they did left side, reload, center port, reload, run dry  reload. they left 2 very precious rounds on the ground. it was a 12 round course, and 6 + 6 = 12 .. just don't miss those poppers.

I think it's almost always beneficial if you reload on the move instead of doing a static reload, even if it means you will have to do one extra. You have to move anyhow, so learn to do your reloads while moving top speed.

On the other hand, Flex is right in that revo shooters can't count. I don't know any revo shooters that never went BANG BANG click....Damn!! reload BANG to finish the stage. But that has nothing to do with tactics. They just can't count:)

Would counting your shots as you shoot them be "concentration?"  It would seem that if a shooter is concentrating on the number of shots fired they might not make good hits, conversely, if maintaining a focus on the hits you might forget to think about the number of shots fired.....quite a dilema.

Heck, I don't know.  I still hear bang, bang, CLICK now and then!  

(Edited by redmist10 at 9:29 am on Oct. 30, 2002)

"We" revo shooters count beforehand in IDPA also but what you do is not always what you plan.  Of course, if you don't figure it out before.....bang, bang, CLICK!  :)

Most of the troubles come when we try to shoot like an auto (spray and pray) and forget you cannot make up shots.  I won't get into a commentary on USPSA vs. IDPA but I will pass for now.  When I run out of IDPA matches I might consider it.  I'm afraid I would learn too many bad habits trying to switch back and forth being a relatively new shooter.

If you watch closely, you'll see me tap my foot as I shoot so I can keep count of the shots, LOL.

Now, if I could only figure out a way to make an extended Moon-clip, I'll be rich!

down0,

I have already started black powder IDPA. The rule in IDPA says you can't carry 2 guns. They don't say anything about more. I do reshoots with black powder cartridge & cap & ball revolvers. I carry 3 or 4 depending on the stage. It is fun.

Bill Nesbitt

I believe they call that reload style the "New York Reload."  You shoot until you run dry then toss it to the side and grab another.  Maybe the "Hollywood Reload."

Sort of like Dan Akroyd in "Gross Point Blank" when he runs two PC Smiths dry then tosses them like they are made in the China.  <Cringe>

I just reholster the guns when they go empty. I tried shooting 2 guns at the same time once. Each time I shot I would be firing 2 shots at different targets. Hey, Kevin Costner did it in Silverado.   I could hit pretty good with the right gun but not too good with the left one. It's pretty neat with all the gunsmoke, SO's choking, targets on fire.

Bill Nesbitt

shooting multiple handguns is a cool skill, one which i am sure has deminished since i have not practiced, but i used to do it quite frequently with DA wheel guns (cocking each time of course) if you alternate them you can get pretty cool hits on a single target, but if you try to use both guns on the same target, you get a hit on each side. now 2 guns on differeing targets i can hit pretty well.

bill if you shoot one, shoot the other while cocking the oppisete gun i think you could do pretty well ... .. now i need to try this. hehehehe. Dual beretta's... maybe dual 45's :-) better yet.

Sometimes, counting can get you in trouble!  I went to Bianchi in '98 for the first time, and stupidly, had been to a CAS match the weekend before we left.  Got on barricades, shot 5 and quit!  By the time I realized I had another round to go, the target went "FLIP"...................  gone!

It is fun to watch the flinch that develops during a match when new shooters forget to count though! :-)

Alan~^~

• 2 weeks later...

In my area part of the deal is the revolver shooters are inexperienced.  At the ICORE matches only 4 or 5 are regular shooters and plan the stage, the rest are fairly new and still trying to figure it out.  It seems many USPSA revo shooters are not as serious and don't practice much.

TMC, yeah that's what I noticed as well. Those reov guys just don't practice. To me, the best part about revo shooting is that the dry firing is such good practice. With an SA auto it's more difficult to practice on the trigger from shot to shot.

Shooting revolver to me is just so very challenging, that I couldn't go back to just auto's anymore