Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cracked Slide

Jack Suber

I need some help. I am new to Open (I actually don't shoot open - this is about my son's gun). I have seen all kinds of cracked slides in my years of shooting but have never seen a slide crack where my son's has. I crack has formed on the slide, in the area that houses the recoil plug. The crack runs the length of the recoil plug and is all the way through - if you look at it from the front of the slide, you can see that the crack is all the way through. Any idea what caused this one? I have never seen a crack in this area. The gun works, so far. But we have several big matches around the corner and I am worried about it. Any feedback would be appreciated. Here is a picture a pic of the crack:

post-950-1175302541.jpg

Edited by Jack Suber

Look at the marks on the bottom of the comp. The guide rod is hitting the bottom of the comp, that makes a lever and in this case the dustcover is the weakest link. Mill the bottom of the comp off a little more so it will clear the guide rod. Then send the slide to George at EGW to TIG weld and run it till it breaks.

Merlin IS right that you can have the same breakage from coil bind, but the marks on the bottom of the comp lead me to believe this one is from a lack of clearance.

So it can be repaired. Whew! I was getting worried. Thanks for the feedback.

It can be repaired, but its a job left to expert welders like EGW as that area is quite thin.

My guess is the tunnel was left a bit thin after the reverse plug cut and maybe your recoil springs were going solid like H Smith suggested.

What brand is the slide?

FYI,If you shoot it like that the crack will continue all the way to the back of the recoil spring tunnel....

Edited by Anthony Lombardo

Glad to hear it can be repaired.

I'll see what I can do to keep ihatepickles from circling John's gun ;)

Again, thanks guys. We have our Sectional Championship next week and the A6 around the corner. Since I only shoot Limited, I don't have a backup for him. So, I am going to let him shoot it in these matches and pray that the gun keeps together. I guess the worst case is that he would have to have a new slide put on it. He has some STI contingency $$s so I am going to order him a frame and have a gun built for him this summer. Once we have this one fixed, he can have it as a back up........or I CAN SHOOT IT!!!!! :blink:

Anyh of y'all coming to the South Carolina Sectional next week???

• 1 month later...