Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6" Caspian Widebody Legal For Limited?

sfinney

"Special conditions:

16. Any complete handgun or components produced by a factory and available

to the general public for one year and 500 produced. Prototypes are specifically

not allowed."

Ok, are Caspian framed 6" widebody guns legal for Limited/L10 ? (I'm asking because I dimly remember some converstion or thread here about only S_I hi-cap 6" guns being Limited legal, not Paras or Caspians, etc.)

I searched the rule book, official rulings ,and the forum, still couldn't find anything specific.

I know 6" S_I's are legal for Limited, due both to the "complete handgun" in excess of 500 AND also "components produced" in excess of 500 clause......

Seems like some well known shooter may have shot a 6" Springfield hi-cap at some point? So I guess thats legal, due maybe to the "components produced" clause (Springfield has made at least 500 6" slides and barrels).

So wouldn't a 6" Caspian widebody .40 Limited gun be legal as well? Caspian has made zillions of 6" slides in .40, there are a gazillion 6" barrels out there obviously, and of course the Caspian frame is legal. Seems like whats good for the goose is good for the gander..... and even if there haven't been 500 factory produced Caspian Hi-cap 6" .40 guns, the "OR components" clause would seem to apply here, for everything needed to make one. And it wouldn't be a "prototype", its all off the shelf parts, and its a 1911 for pete's sake.

If I'm reading the rulebook, there no reason somone couldn't build one; or is there some sinister plan I'm missing to keep non S_I guns from joining the 6" party? :P

(and no I don't want to write Amidon, if I can at all avoid it) <_<

I think you're good. If the stupid Sight Tracker and Tru-Sight BS is legal, there's no reason why a 6" Caspian shouldn't be.

FYI...probably not legal in IPSC Standard though. I think the "box" rule kicks in there.

Other than that, you're good to go. I'm planning on building a 5" Caspian wide body in 9mm when I get home, just for giggles and maybe carry.

Rich

Hey I didn't say it made sense.... :rolleyes:

But I hear "April" is the latest for the hicap .40 mags debut.... we'll see. Was thinking of building a Caspian Limited if thats the case... and I thought.... hey why not a 6" lightened slide version? (I'm sure somebody has one out there somewhere, I just haven't seen one)

I'm planning on building a 5" Caspian wide body in 9mm when I get home, just for giggles and maybe carry.

Rich

Theres a guy on the USPSA classifieds with a 9mm widebody Caspian for $1400 I think.... and those mags ARE available.

Edited by sfinney

Probably, what you remember reading about the Caspians and the Para is that they can't have extended dustcovers (welded on)...as those don't meet the 500 produced numbers.

I believe Amidon has read the "or components" as if it wasn't in the written rules (in the past). I think he is the only one that I have heard of that reads it that way.

There are certainly 500+ Caspian 6in slides out there. And, all the other related parts.

I ran a 6" Caspian wide body at the '06 Limited Nationals, no one questioned it, not even RO's when I ran a 23 round course of fire without doing a reload.

Oh, it was a 9x23.

Rich