Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caspian Hi-cap Holsters - What Works?

sfinney

I have a Caspian Open gun, and am looking for a new holster for it.....

I already know that Safariland or CR Speed will work,

but prefer to try a new style Ghost, Limcat, or Speedsec 5 (Xtreme) type holster. Does anyone know if the STI versions of those 3 holsters will work - or maybe the Para/1911 models since its a steel frame? Or...?

I have a Xtreme/Speedsec 5 for an STI in my hand, its kinda sloppy fitting on the Caspian, even after adjusting. Don't think thats going to work, but maybe I'm missing something.

ps - my trigger guard is the square type, if that matters.

Thanks!

Edited by sfinney

I tried one of the older Ghost holsters that required the trigger guard be drilled.

After adjusting the crap out of it I gave up.

It was either too tight or falling out of the holster.

The trigger guard is a lot narrower the an S_I and I think that is the guard the holster was intended for. I do know some people that use a Ghost with a Caspian but I couldn't make it work. Using a holster like the Ghost made running a lot easier with the holster in the position I wanted.

I'd like a thirty day free trial with the Limcat; my old holster box is full! :lol::lol::lol:

Now I have a CR Speed and love it as much as my Blackberry.

FM

I use the old pinned ghost for my caspian, and I love it. once you get past drilling a hole in a perfectly good gun thing. I don't think the new pinless ghost will work, I tried mine in a buddy's and the gun would rock backward out of the holster.

a buddy uses a limcat with his caspian, and he's never had a problem

CR Speed seems to be the most popular all the way around regardless of frame.

That seems to be the consensus, just get a CR Speed. :P

Having said that, to simplify the question, just as an FYI:

Which model Ghost model is supposed to work with a Caspian?

Which model Limcat is supposed to work with a Caspian?

Which model Xtreme is supposed to work with a Caspian?

(square trigger guard Caspian if that makes a difference)

Thanks!

Any holster for a 1911 pattern should work.

The STI/SVI holster would need a spacer under the trigger guard as they are thicker in that dimension

Alan

But not for a squared off Caspian if you're talking about Ghost version 1.0.

The best holster I have ever had for my open Caspian is a CR Speed.

I have tried a lot of holsters but I haven't tried all of them. :P

(Gugas and Limcat are two I haven't tried BTW.)

FM

Edited by Front Man

CR Speed seems to be the most popular all the way around regardless of frame.

That seems to be the consensus, just get a CR Speed. :P

Having said that, to simplify the question, just as an FYI:

Which model Ghost model is supposed to work with a Caspian?

Which model Limcat is supposed to work with a Caspian?

Which model Xtreme is supposed to work with a Caspian?

(square trigger guard Caspian if that makes a difference)

Thanks!

Frank Garcia told me the Extreme's for Caspians were special order from Germany and it would take a couple of months to get one. That was several years ago and it could be all different now.

FM

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, now I've heard that Limcats will work well with the square trigger caspians...... but my experience has been guns "rock" in those, anyone use one on 1911/Para/Caspians and think they are secure?

And do you order a special model to fit, or the normal STI/SV limcat?

I also can't find Limcat's website anywhere (the one I had bookmarked is dead) - any pointers? ( I know several people carry them on their sites, but was looking for Limcat's)

Thanks!

Edited by sfinney

I think that the Guga Ribas would work as well. The front of the trigger guard presses down on the lever that locks the gun in place. That takes most of the weight of the gun right there and it doesn't matter what shape the trigger guard is...round, square etc. The top of the holster has inserts that are different for 1911s, STI/SVI etc. The inserts contact the frame on either side of the trigger guard and those can be adjusted to fit Paras and I would think Caspian hi caps. They're just plastic inserts so a little sandpaper or filing would be easy. I had to trim the inserts on mine after I contoured my STI grip as it changed the profile around the trigger guard. That took all of five minutes and it was good to go. Last I checked SSI had them in stock again.

I think that the Guga Ribas would work as well. The front of the trigger guard presses down on the lever that locks the gun in place. That takes most of the weight of the gun right there and it doesn't matter what shape the trigger guard is...round, square etc. The top of the holster has inserts that are different for 1911s, STI/SVI etc. The inserts contact the frame on either side of the trigger guard and those can be adjusted to fit Paras and I would think Caspian hi caps. They're just plastic inserts so a little sandpaper or filing would be easy. I had to trim the inserts on mine after I contoured my STI grip as it changed the profile around the trigger guard. That took all of five minutes and it was good to go. Last I checked SSI had them in stock again.

I've heard great things about those.... they are in stock in red and blue, no black.... but, $205 :blink: Are they THAT nice?

Edited by sfinney

I've heard great things about those.... they are in stock in red and blue, no black.... but, $205 :blink: Are they THAT nice?

I bought mine used from Zhunter (it's blue) and really love it. I'm really happy with it and if I were buying a new holster tomorrow, I wouldn't think twice about it...just call up SSI and pick a color! They were out of stock for a while when I was looking for one and then I saw they got them in not long ago so I suspect they sell quickly if they're already out of black.

I've also got a Safariland 012 and have tried a few others like the CR Speed, but not the Limcat. I think the Limcat could be in the same ballpark, but until I try one, it's hard to say. My big thing was not wanting to change rigs between Limited and Open and the Ribas will let me do that.

I was so happy with the holster that I ordered a couple of their mag pouches and will probably buy a couple more so all my puches are the same again. They're really nice, offer a wide adjustment range, are secure and seem to be very well made.

Edited by G-ManBart

My big thing was not wanting to change rigs between Limited and Open and the Ribas will let me do that.

That would be a huge time and money saver. :)

If I wanted to build a Caspian Hi-Cap Limited it would require buying another holster because it would be a PIA to change the length of the holster every time you wanted to switch blasters.

If I were flush with time and money I'd try it. ;)

FM

I gotta chuckle at spending however much ($1200+ used, $2500+ new) on an Open Gun and then blanching at $205 for a holster...and yes the Ribas holsters ARE that nice. Best ones yet I've found for adaptability among frame variations although I haven't tried a Caspian yet, (uh-huh, like 2 STI's, 3 Para's and 3 SS ain't enough to feed already :rolleyes: ) But my buddy Ray asked about them at the range the other day (I got two) since he uses a pinned ghost on his Caspians and can't get that particular holster anymore. My guns WILL rock backwards a bit if you move around with them while locked; I don't think you can get away from that with any of the current "trigger guard" holsters without some sort of nose-piece. And you NEVER want to move around any real amount with them UNLOCKED. If you're not too picky about your gun's finish if it has a blue slide...a Hogue Powerspeed holster might work provided your left sided optics mount doesn't extend very far down the dust cover.