Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xd-40 5" For Limited Gun

WFisher

Is there any reason why a XD-40 5" wouldn't make a good limited gun with the addition of a mag well, Comp trigger job, and fiber sights? I have only shot a few uspsa matches in Production and have use my XD-9 4" and love the gun so just wondered you thoughts on the Tactical version of the XD in 40 for limited division. I have seen a few Glocks set up as limited guns so just wondered about the XD.

Thanks

William

William,

I shoot an XD40 Tactical in Production and I love it. It was completely modified

by Rich Dettelhouser at Canyon Creek (who I highly recommend). The only

thing that would slow you down would be the 12rd mags and minor caliber.

You could also shoot it in Limited 10.

Sparky

The #1 problem is mag capacity. On a 32rd stage you'll have at least 2 mag changes as compared to probably one in other Limited guns. If you have 2 shooters at or near equal levels then this would favor the true Limited gun. If you don't mind this then go ahead and shoot it. It's all about the fun and what you enjoy anyway.

Well, I've run mine in Limited once or twice.

With the NHO magwell and base pads, I get 15 in the magazine

Unfortunately, that is just one shy of two 8 round arrays...

It really boils down to the stage. If I can enagage less than 16 before a movement mag change, it's fine.

Edited by BBunin

Ok Thanks that is what I wanted to know.

Sounds like it just doesn't have the round capacity. How many rounds should a typical Limited gun hold? The .40 is considered a major caliber isn't it?

Are the Glocks I have seen in limited class capable of holding more rounds in the 40 caliber or are they also a poor choice for a Limited gun?

Ok Thanks that is what I wanted to know.

Sounds like it just doesn't have the round capacity. How many rounds should a typical Limited gun hold? The .40 is considered a major caliber isn't it?

Are the Glocks I have seen in limited class capable of holding more rounds in the 40 caliber or are they also a poor choice for a Limited gun?

Since the XD40 is built on the same frame as the 9mm, falls a little short on the mag capacity department for Limited division. Even taking the mags to the maximum allowed length of 140mm you'd still only have about 15 rounds. It would still make an EXCELLENT limited-10 and production gun.

40S&W is the caliuber of choice for Limited and Limited10 divisions. Guns for these divisions to be able to shoot major need to be chambered in a minimum of .40/10mm caliber and, of course, the ammo needs to clock at major power factor (= >165).

I hope the day will come when Springfiled Armory will offer the big-frame XD in 40. That would be a perfect limited gun.

Glock 40's (Models 22, 35, 24) magazines with 140mm legal extensions hold up to 20 rounds of ammo. These are a good choice for limited division.

Good luck!

The S&W M&P40 has a magazine capacity of 15. Maybe when extended base pads are available it will be another one to consider for limited. As it is now, it makes a very good L10 and Production gun.

William,

I shoot an XD40 Tactical in Production and I love it. It was completely modified

by Rich Dettelhouser at Canyon Creek (who I highly recommend). The only

thing that would slow you down would be the 12rd mags and minor caliber.

Sparky

40 can be major, too you know....

The S&W M&P40 has a magazine capacity of 15. Maybe when extended base pads are available it will be another one to consider for limited. As it is now, it makes a very good L10 and Production gun.

I have heard some good things about the new M&P even seen a few at the indoor IDPS (Indoor Defensive Pistol shoot) I do on Thursdays they seem like a nice gun. As you said once they get a few extras out on the market for them that could also be a good choice.

I have to agree with your earlier post that the Glocks seem like a good choice. I may look into a 35. Another advantage the Glock seems to have is avaliability of accesories and parts that would make it easier to build it up to a decent limited gun.

If Springfield puts the 40 on a full size frame to increase the capacity of it I would surly have to give that a look to.