Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ribas Holster

I currently shoot a Para in Limited. An STI Open gun is forthcoming. Can't afford another Limited gun in the S_I configuration for at least a year.

I want a holster that will allow me to switch back and forth between Limited and Open without having to "turn screws".

At my local matches I'll shoot Limited, finish the course and get back in line to also shoot Open with the same squad. I can't have a holster that will require me to do any "fiddling", as there won't be enough time. I just want to take out the Para, insert the STI, and be merrily on my way.

Can anyone tell me if the Guga Ribas (Giga Rubas, however it's spelled) will let me do what I want to do??

Edited by Rather-B-Huntin

Because of the different thicknesses of the front of the trigger guard, the adjustment blocks on the top of each side of the Ribas holster have to be adjusted to different heights for the Para and the STI. Other wise the locking mechanism may not work and this holster is not secure enough to be walking around with a gun in it unlocked. I had to get two separate rigs for my Para Open /STI Limited guns as my mag pouches wouldn't do dual duty also. Sorry for the bad news. They do work fantastic if you switch between Open and Limited with the same framed guns though.

I have no expericence with the Ribas holster but I have tried to use both Para and STI frames in the Ghost holster.

The STI fit fine but the Para seemed very loose and I was never comforable with it.

Perhaps it could have been adjusted to fit the Para, but that defeats your intent for a dual use holster.

If the gun doesn't fit securely in the holster, it won't be presented in a repeatable position and that can really mess with your grip on the draw.

I ended up getting a SpeedSec holster and mag pouches that were specifically for Para.

I put those on a CR Speed outer belt and it was just a matter of zipping off the velcro to change holsters and guns.

That may be your best solution.

Tls

The Ribas and the Ghost work perfectly with a Para.

However I don't think you could switch between a STI and a Para without adjustments (changing spacers in the Ribas) to either holster.

The good thing about the Guga Ribas is that the holster is able to be taken off easily fron the belt loop (the holster is modular). So you can have two holsters that will be able to easily interchangeable in matter of a minute. Just loosen the screw, pull down the gun and the holster, insert the other holster (with or without the gun), tighten the screw, and you're good to go.

Edited by racerba

Hello: I should have told you that my STI 2011 has the trigger gaurd rounded off like my Kimber. I like that look better than the squared off trigger gaurd. Sorry about that. Thanks Eric

The front profile of the trigger guard doesn't make much difference in this case. The part that the trigger guard contacts doesn't need to be changed for different guns. The inserts are different for different guns and they contact the frame on either side of the trigger guard and just below it. Since STIs, Paras, 1911s have slightly different profiles there, they make the different inserts.