Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftec Extractors

Rufus The Bum

Just had one of those one in a thousand jams on a little speed shoot on the weekend that got me thinking about the aftec extractor fitted.

As per instructions it hasn't been modified in any way. My standard extractors have always been chamfered at the bottom of the hook, and feel much smoother than the unmodified aftec.

Has anyone any experience of this, and will the chamfer improve function. I am not too worried about the warrantee,

Thanks P.D.

Yes absolutely chamfer it a bit, if you have done this before on others with no probs by all means do it on the aftec. I did mine the minute I put it in. You can just see the opportunity for a hang up on that factory cut corner. I chamfer and polish on the hook as it doesn't contact the rim that much on extraction. I also polish a bit where the rim may contact.

Pat

Pat, I did the chamfer job, but most of the resistance is at the middle of the hook when the round is in battery, which would explain my jam, the round was 3/4 chambered.

Would you suggest removing metal in this area. I tested with a dummy round and found there to be much more tension than a standard extractor.

To put things in perspective, the aftec has been in the gun for about 12K rounds, but it has never been perfectly reliable, with the odd one in a K jam.

thanks P.D.

What caliber are you shooting, measure the rim diameter of a few cases, then measure the width of the breech face there should be about .005 play to allow for some variation in case rim difference. I don't like to play with the hook itself too much. if you go too far its expensive to replace especially with aftecs. Otherwise check the extractor tension, if it's too tight file a bit off of the ends of the aftec springs, don't take too much material off, just flatten the end/s abit and check again.

What kind of jam is it exactly? Just catching on the way to the chamber?

Pat

The guns a 40 SV with the interchangeable B/F. The brass was good*-. and barrel dropped.

The jam was a sort of 3/4 feed.

The round had levelled out with about 7-10mm of case visible through the ejection port.

The B/F has some errosion, but I exchanged the aftec for my spare std. extractor and found feeding to be much smoother.

I'll try the measurements and file the springs if necessary.

Thanks P.D.

• 1 year later...

I know an Aftec extractor is a must on 38 Super open guns, but what about on a .40?  What is it about the Aftec that makes it that much more reliable than a standard extractor?  I have used plain factory no-name extractors and have had zero problems with it as long as I tune them, but I'm building a new Ltd gun and considering using an Aftec.  

I think Pat posted a year or 2 ago on the subject, I followed his advice, flattened the springs slightly with a file, to relieve some tension, and broke and polished the bottom edge of the hook. The firing pin stop has to be set up right, but details of that process come with the extractor.

I bought one after a broken hook cost me a match and  now its smoothed out, (was a bit clunky before the tune up compared with a well set up standard extractor) I wouldn't be without it.

P.D.

I can't speak bad about the aftec.  I do notice that they fit a little tight in a PO slide.   I've heard about honing out the extractor hole a little because they are bigger than standard.  I only mention this because I recently had a cracked slide.  My smith 'pinched' the slide to make it tighter on the rails.  I'm wondering if the aftec being bigger on the end might of caused the crack.  Don't know but the the extractor does fit pretty tight in the replacement slide.  Part of the reason for the firing pin stop modification as I understand it is to give the extractor some room to move.  This lends credance to the opening up the bore idea.  Cracked slides just aren't me!!!

Before I had the slide pinched it worked flawlessly.  I've read about breakages in the 15,000 range but I'm way over that.  

Almost anyone can tune an extractor, but does the Aftec require a gunsmith fit?  I'm building my dream sheet for a custom STI and want to build it right the first time instead of adding to it later.  The factory extractor in my Edge loosened up to the point where it could be pushed fully back with a pencil, so loose it wouldn't even pick up a round or, when it did, it wouldn't pull it out of the chamber, so I re-tuned it and have had about 7000 rounds through it without a fail.  I'll give it a try and see.  

3QT,

I have 2 Paras with Aftecs and no problems. Didn't have to relieve the channel. It sounds like somebody got a little hammer happy peening the slide and cracked it.

RTB,

No harder to fit than a standard one. Are you building the gun or having it built by someone?

One of the guys out here has one of Benny's 6" guns and loves it. The only problem I had with Dawson was they screwed up and put a couple of options on that I didn't ask for. They were upgrades  to the slide fluteing and serrated flat top and I didn't feel they were worth the extra money when I ordered the gun. When the gun came in my dealer called and asked me about the difference. I had no idea so he called Dawson and they said oops sorry if it isn't what you want we'll build you another or you can take the one with the upgrades at the price of the original configuration. I offered to pay the difference but they said our mistake your gain. They have done alright by me. Either way I think you'll be happy.

Chriss,  I started looking at the new slide and the way the aftec fits again.  It fits nicely until the last 1/32 or so.  It's just enough seating tension to make it too tight for me to push it out with my finger nail from the breach face side.  I also noticed the wear pattern on the extractor.  The brown/red coloring is rubbed off on the inside forward of the firing pin stop slot from 12 to 6 oclock.  There doesn't appear to be any loss of metal.  I don't have mics to measure the ID of the extractor channel at that point.  Just wondering if it should fit that tight just in that area.  

In the aftec instructions it says that the extractor is suppost to pivot on the firing pin stop.  I'm wondering if the wear I've described is causing too much tension to allow the pivoting action.  

Photos4.gif

"The advanced competition extractor is a  coil spring powered extractor that pivots on the firing pin stop.  If the firing pin stop is fitted too tight,  the extractor will not be able to pivot and as a result will have excessive tension. "  Aftec installation instructions.

While I was working on getting the picture right (took for ever!!!) It struck me that standard extractors shouldn't need this pivoting room as the tension of the extractor makes it work.  I'll measure both and see if the contact area forward of the firing pin stop slot is the same.  If so it would seem better to alter the aftec than hone the slide port.  Might need to swap the aftec with a standard at a match and the honing would have an effect on the standards tension.

That said I know many aftec's are in use with no alteration.  Might be an example of 'If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!'

(Edited by 3quartertime at 7:56 am on Mar. 3, 2003)