Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Custom Colt Carry Gun

MichiganShootist

After spending a ton of money on guns for competition I made up my mind a couple years ago to work toward a really handsome ... but functional carry gun. So I found a Colt Officer's Enhanced ACP pistol, with a polished stainless finish, that had been internally ruined by a nut with a dremmel... so I bought it and then the work started.

Indicated below is what was done to create my "Dream Carry Gun"

Colt Officer’s ACP Enhanced Model Rebuild

Wilson Combat

Reverse Recoil Plug System With Full Length Guide Rod

New Hammer, Springs, Sear and Reliability Work

Milled in Wilson Combat Multi-color Night Sights

High Polished Extended Thumb Safety

High Polished Beavertail Grip Safety

High Polished Magazine Well

Marianne Carniack (a top MI gunsmith)

Total Trigger Rebuilt Using Original Colt Trigger (3.5 # pull)

Replace and Tune Firing Pin Safety

Hand Checker Front Strap and Mainspring Housing 25 lpi

Other

Custom Grips from Ajax

Slightly Extended High Polished Magazine Release from Ed Brown

Slide Guard Holster and Magazine Carrier from High Noon

Off sandbags it shoots 3" groups at 20 yards with Winchester STX hollow points which is plenty of accuracy for a 3.5 " barrel.

So........... Show me your carry gun.

post-3858-1173984176.jpgpost-3858-1173984427.jpg

Thanks

I've had a couple people .... including one "big name" gunsmith... make some fun of the big extended thumb safety.....

IMHO----It's exactly the same setup I have on my competition 1911's and if I every need to use this gun for self defense.... I think it makes sense to have the same "controls" that I use at every practice session and every week at IDPA & USPSA matches. If that day comes... I don't want to miss the safety.

BTW----The slide guard holster has a upper extention on the "body side" of the holster that keeps the hammer and safety from digging into my side. It's very comfortable.

Edited by MichiganShootist

Hey MS - Very nice Looking Colt! I'm fond of those ivory stocks as well. I picked up this Commander for daily carry a while back and installed the grips, otherwise box stock and a great shooter.

Ivory2.jpg

I'm gettin' tempted to order a black gator rig for it. Shoot, everybody need a good BBQ rig don't they? :D

Regards

TraderJack

not exactly 'bling', but pretty flashy for me. it will be a carry pistol after a few hundred more rounds to prove reliability and night sights (i just got it a week ago).

stainless CZ75B:

DSCF0621.jpg

this is my usual carry pistol, most definitely no bling. just as it came from the factory other than night sights.

CZ75 P-01 (and others):

DSCF0612.jpg

frye

• 1 month later...

With no disrespect intended to the big dollar Open and Limited guns....

It's nice to see some good looking "pieces" which are actually used for personal defensive carry.

BTW-- I shot an indoor IDPA match with the Officer's Model that started this thread recently... and it shoots 1" controlled doubles with ease. Colt's cone barrel and the match bushing work even on a short barrel.

not exactly 'bling', but pretty flashy for me. it will be a carry pistol after a few hundred more rounds to prove reliability and night sights (i just got it a week ago).

stainless CZ75B:

DSCF0621.jpg

this is my usual carry pistol, most definitely no bling. just as it came from the factory other than night sights.

CZ75 P-01 (and others):

DSCF0612.jpg

frye

Nice collection of cznologically advanced tools. :D