Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problems With Primerslide On Rl550

Hi all.

I have a RL550 wich has worked great for a couple of years but now I'm having some problems with the primerslide.

When it's supposed to go forward with the new primer it gets stuck about a 1/3 inch from "battery".

I have cleaned everything, even tried lubricating with graphite and oil without success.

I even tried polishing the the slide, but no... nothing works.

Any tips or ideas?

Other than cleaning the slide and lower plate, there is not much else that can cause the problem. You might check the bottom of the aluminim slide, just below the primer punch, as carbon or grit can build up there and cause binding. I usually use a razor blade to scrape off any accumulations from there and the metal plate and that resolves any problems.

Good luck

Use steel wool or a scotchbrite pad to scrub the top of the frame, the sides and bottom of the primer slide, then wipe these surfaces off with solvent. Next, grease the top of the operating rod where it goes into the hole in the bracket clamped around the middle of the primer shield. :ph34r:

Make sure you have the primer slide that is skeletonized on the bottom, not the one that is solid on the bottom. If you don't have the right one call Dillon and ask for one, made all the difference in the world for me.

It should look like this http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...ost&id=1572

Edited by rtr

Excuse the extremly poor picture quality here...

My slide looks like this:

post-4657-1173942692.jpg

After some more research i found out that it was the primer housing that caused me problems. If you take a look at the highlighted areas in the picture below you'll see that the rubbing of the slide has crated two "spots" in the primer housing.

post-4657-1173943317.jpg

After some carefull grinding with a fine stone over the spots the slide moves easy again.

It seems that the housing was "swollen" at the inside where the bolt holes are.

Anyway, it works fine now. I'm happy again. :)

In addition, and for anyone else that might read this thread, from my notes...

Priming Assembly Adjustment Notes:

Thoroughly polish frame, wherever priming slide touches it, with green Scotch Brite. (Approx. every 3000 rounds)

Wipe off Primer Slide with solvent or alcohol. Leave it all dry.

At rest primer slide adjustment: Set so that one primer,

dropped down the tube, goes all the way into the Primer Seating Cup, 10 times in a row.

Angle of Primer Slide Operating Rod (13869) - Release rod from rollers and swivel it 180º so it's pointing straight up - it should be parallel with the Primer Housing Shield, or maybe outward "a little"; it should not be "inward" at all.

Be sure both screws (14530) that tighten Roller Bracket Shell Platform (14280) from bottom (to the Shellplate Platform) are tight!

Make sure Priming Seating Punch Assembly is fully bottomed out before tightening screw (13996): Measured from bottom of Primer Slide (13920) to top of seated Primer Seating Cup (13284/5), dimension should be between 2.125 - 2.220 inches.

Be sure Priming Operating Rod Bracket (13887) is adjusted so it's within a few thousands of an inch from the top of frame/Toplhead