Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prize Tables, Current Practices?

Matt Griffin

I've searched and read that the prize tables are only for folks who are there on Sundays, with no official method to collect a prize. Is this still the case? I'm shooting several majors this year, and while I don't necessarily expect to collect anything, I'd hate to miss out if I do place highly. Do I still need to get someone to pick up anything I might have won, or is there some sort of remote method?

H.

The last prize table match that I was at was the Area 2 match in Nov 06. Prize table was Sunday afternoon. Either you walked it personally or you delegated your "walk" to someone else by leaving them your shooters badge that you got at registration. No other options for the prize table that I know of. Now, if you won a plaque, those would be mailed (I think).

Later,

Chuck

The Summer Blast has done a charity raffle prize table for years with the drawing held after the conclusion of the match on Sunday afternoon. The second year I shot the match on a Saturday, and was quite surprised a couple of months later, when SB MD Larry Houck tracked me down at the Area 8 match to hand me a case of .223 ammo I'd won.

Prize table policies vary from match to match --- but I'd say the odds are fairly good for you to arrange something with someone who'd be able to be there.....

Been shooting for 7 years now, including one Nationals and numerous Area, Section & Summer Blast matches - and have YET to "visit a prize table" due to busy work schedule, travel, etc. Who has time for this stuff?

Frankly, I know we've been over this before, but I'd like to see the prize table go away. Second Chance has been gone for a long time. I'd prefer to see all prizes raffled off to the match volunteers (couldn't shoot without them & yes I have volunteered too) and possibly see lower match entrance fees.

Prize tables are run at the discretion of the Match Officials of the particular match that you are attending. There is not a universal way that they are done. (which is fine...if something works well at one match, a wise Match Director will adopt that practice at his/her match).

If a match has been around for a while, they may have a policy (often in the match book) on how they handle prizes.

• 3 weeks later...
Been shooting for 7 years now, including one Nationals and numerous Area, Section & Summer Blast matches - and have YET to "visit a prize table" due to busy work schedule, travel, etc. Who has time for this stuff?

Frankly, I know we've been over this before, but I'd like to see the prize table go away. Second Chance has been gone for a long time. I'd prefer to see all prizes raffled off to the match volunteers (couldn't shoot without them & yes I have volunteered too) and possibly see lower match entrance fees.

+1

Some matches have prize tables based on finish. Some have a raffle for all shooters. Some have a combination, the first , second, third, HOA and maybe high Senior, High lady etc., get a prize for place finish and the rest of the prizes are given by raffle.

The raffles give you something to do while waiting for the scores to be final and gives all of the shooters who will never place at a major match the chance to win something.

Recently went to a match which gave you a ticket to fill out if you wanted someone else to pick up your prize.

Another question is what about the "no shows". The shooter who signed up and paid to shoot the match, paid for a match etc., and then is injured, sick, flight canceled or whatever. Obviously they are not going to get anything for placing, but should they still get their raffle tickets and shirts if they have a representative in attendence to pick them up.

IMHO, whatever the policy, it should be published prior to the matcm

At Nationals, you can give your badge to someone else to pick up your prize for you. We don't ship them, and if you aren't there when your name is called and nobody picks for you, you are skipped. We do ship plaques to the class and category winners.

At most matches with a prize table, you can delegate your pick to someone else.

Troy

At Nationals, you can give your badge to someone else to pick up your prize for you. We don't ship them, and if you aren't there when your name is called and nobody picks for you, you are skipped. We do ship plaques to the class and category winners.

At most matches with a prize table, you can delegate your pick to someone else.

Troy

I don't think I've ever been to a match in the past 10 years where you couldn't delegate your pick to someone else.

IMO Prize tables done right are wins for the shooters and wins for the sponsors. Done wrong, they have a whole host of problems. One hint: set it up so shooters get to pick what they want, whatever order they go in.

I know at the last Area 6 match, usually the "prize table" is strictly for RO's, staff, and set-up help. Competitors get plaques and $$$.

I've only been to one Nationals, but there they had the "traditional" prize table where everyone got at least one trip to the table. It was definitely worth sticking around for!!!!

I guess it varies from match-to-match, but I personally prefer that the "prize table" stuff go to the RO's and staff. They work their asses off so that the rest of us can just shoot and enjoy it all. I think they deserve the extra "goodies".

Just my $.02 worth!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by ParaGlocker

I know at the last Area 6 match, usually the "prize table" is strictly for RO's, staff, and set-up help. Competitors get plaques and $$$.

I've only been to one Nationals, but there they had the "traditional" prize table where everyone got at least one trip to the table. It was definitely worth sticking around for!!!!

I guess it varies from match-to-match, but I personally prefer that the "prize table" stuff go to the RO's and staff. They work their asses off so that the rest of us can just shoot and enjoy it all. I think they deserve the extra "goodies".

Just my $.02 worth!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, as long as there are cash prizes for the competitors. The staff needs to be treated well, but the competitors are the reason for the season, as it were.

H.

Opinions are like noses...most folks have at least one. Here is mine.

1. A raffle is a good way to give out prizes. There are people who shoot every match and never place. It cost them the same money that it cost the better shooters. Give them and the new shooters a chance to win something, it will keep them in the game.

2. There are shooters that "sand bag" the classifiers in order to stay classified lower. They do it to have a better shot at the prizes. I know some guys that could easily be "A" or Master shooters, but they are classed as "C". Maybe we should give prizes to the highest shooter in each class on the classifier. Would that stop "sand bagging"?

3. Someone suggested that the prizes go to the volunteers. That would sure help when you are trying to find people to help out at the match.

4. Sell tickets to anyone and use the money for the club's equipment fund.

Buddy