Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading Federal Pistol Primers On 650 Dillon?

3gunnah

This may be a dumb question but here goes. I have a 650 dillon that I use for loading several diffrent calibers. B) I have used cci primers until now. I got a clark custom 686 smith that only shoots soft primers (federal) so I was going to add that caliber as well. I have read in the meantime that some people have had primer detonaiton with chain reaction due to the rotary primer feed on the 650 using federal primers. Is this somthing a careful reloader should worry about? I have several other presses I could use including a SDB. But I prefer to use the 650. Any insite would be helpful thanks. :unsure:

I didn't have any detonations in my 650 with the Federal primers but I did have repeated feed problems. I called the Dillon tech folks and they said that they've seen many more problems recently with Federal primers. They surmised it is due to inconsistent concentricity resulting from poorer quality control. YMMV (I hope.)

Edited by XD Niner

3gunnah,

I have never had a primer feed problem on my 650, but as XD niner said,YMMV.

As for detonations. I have lit off an entire tube of primers on mine. It was because I pressed harder when I should have been looking. Soft primer provided the opportunity, I caused the detonation by being in a hurry.

I've probably loaded close to 50K rounds since that incident. No problems and I still use Federal primers.

If it doesn't seat well nor easily, stop and look at it.

JMHO

dj

OBTW, there may be other presses that can stand it, but I was seriously impressed by the Dillons capability to contain the blast and direct it upward. Very well designed and built.

dj

Federal primers are a bit more sensitive than other brands of primers. Just be gentle with them, and if it feels different when seating ANY brnad of primer, stop and figure out why.

Primers will immeadiately let you know how unimpressed they are with your brute strength :ph34r:

I've probably loaded about 25-30 thousand Federal primers on my 650 and so far, knock on formica, I have not had a detonation yet. I've talked to a few people who have had a detonation. It usually relates to being in a hurry. That being said, I've crushed plenty of primers without any ill effect. It's odd that CCI's work on your 650 as I could not get any CCI's to work with my 650 at all, jam after jam. I stick to using the CCI's I have in a single stage press and use fed, rem, and win primers in my 650, all without a hitch.

Vince