Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light Limited 40 Gun Build Questions

cking

I planning on building another gun. So going with STI frame, maybe a brazos lightened slide. Going with a bushing barrel, and no guide rod.

So my question is what about 6 inch????? How much weight will that add if the slide is lightened?

How much does the 6 inch sight radius help?

How does the gun feel during the swing?

How does it feel during recoil?

Nobody at my matchs has 6 inch fat free for me to try

Thanks all opinions welcomed!

I've tossed around building a 6" top end for the sight radius. My current limited gun is a short dustcover, lightened slide 5". Bull barrel, steel guide rod. A friend loaned me a heavy gun I built for him years ago, while I did mine. Long heavy frame, heavy slide, tungsten rod...etc. I like the light one much better. Even when breaking it in with 189 PF loads (ammo from the old days :D ) I liked the feel better.

The 6" weigh's the same as a std. 5" or about 37oz. Will index, handle & fell like a 5" except it has a 20% longer sight radius % uses about 1/2 gr. less powder for less muzzle flip while retaining fast cycling. Use a 165 gr. bullet. Nothing like sight distance for small or tough shots.

Objectively the 6" guns should be an advantage, but since I want my gear to be IPSC Standard legal they are not an option for me.

That being said if you are worshipping at the alter of "flat shooting" they seem (subjectively from shooting and watching them shot) to flip more and the flattest shooting guns I have ever seen were shot DC guns in the hands of smaller guys, like TJ and the Burner.

Some folks (TGO and Voigt) love 'em, some don't.

Jeez, I wonder why Baskin-Robbins makes more than just vanilla? :huh:

I have a 5 in S_I. I shot a friend's 6 in Dawson in a match. It was one of my best matches ever. I did not notice an adverse effects from have a six inch gun but I did notice the sighting and recoil effects. IT was an awesome gun to shot. I would definitely get a 6 inch if I was buy another gun.

If I were not going to shoot any overseas IPSC (box rule on standard class) I would have nothing but 6" guns shoot much better handle just as fast, I shoot my 6" 40 better than my 5" 9mm

If I were not going to shoot any overseas IPSC (box rule on standard class) I would have nothing but 6" guns shoot much better handle just as fast, I shoot my 6" 40 better than my 5" 9mm

That's a pretty strong endorsement, Jeff. :)

Edited by ima45dv8

I drive cars til the tires fall off and shoot guns even longer before changing and the only 5" I shoot now is my 9mm sti, because I haven't built a 6" top end for it yet but plan on having it by the end of the year for tactical matches. Then if I want to shoot overseas I will have to figure that out later. 6" is the way to go, and Benny does it more and better than anyone.

jc