Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Radically Lightened Slides

Rufus The Bum

I'd go for a three sides slide from ST or SV, maybe the stirup cut would lighten it a little but, I don't like the way it look on a standard gun.

Some people think that the "new" setup from SV with a non drilled hybrid barrel would be ok, but I'm curious to check for the rulebook and see if it's allowed in IPSC standard division.

DVC

Julien

:)

rufus,

The basic idea I always tried to go by was I want as much weight on the gun that doesn't move. My basic set-up is a long wide SV with a standard slide, a bull barrel, and a heavy guide rod. My slide has been lightened some, but not radically. It gives me a well balanced set-up that shoots flat, swings well, and cycles fast.

I think it greatly depends on what you are shooting.  For IPSC standard I agree with Bear, that will be the most effective set up right now.

For my minor steel stock upper, standard bushing bbl, tungsten guide rod, and radically lightened (internally) slide, less reciprocating mass works well for me.

I guess It really depends on what works well for you.  Good luck, Doug

It will really boil down to how you like the gun to feel  when you shoot, how it actually performs (measurable), and what your application is..(steel shooting, IDPA, IPSC).

Some people like light,snappy feeling guns..some people like heavier guns...it really is up to you..depending on skill level too.. you might/might not be ready for one or the other..

Find a friend (or any shooter at a match will do) who has a gun setup the way you are thinking of and try it!!

My limited guns have undergone a transformation from moderate weight slide with bull barrells and 16lb mainsprings to a very light weight slide with bushing barrels and 21lb mainsprings.  Along the way, I also dropped to a 12.5 recoil spring (from a 14), and changed my load from 320 to clays.

I think my limited setup is perfect for me now.  All the moving parts which include the barrel, the bushing, and the slide are super light weight.  The non-moving parts are heavy which include the long wide frame and tungsten guide rod.  My gun is lighter than ever before and I find that I shoot it better than ever.

The bottom line is, you should really find a gun to try before building one.