Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mystery Choke, Which Wrench

I bought a used 1100 a while back and have been running the choke that was included with it. I want to change out the choke but cannot figure out which wrench it uses. It has a slot at the 12:00 and 6:00 only. It is not the standard rem choke with fat 12:00, 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00, nor the Briley thin 12:00, 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00. To me it looks like it is the same thin thickness slots as the briley at 12:00 and 6:00.

Anyone know what this choke is so I can order the appropriate wrench? Maybe I can get one of those universial wrenches?

You might be able to thin a quarter out a little and get the choke out with it, then your standard chokes will work with standard wrenches. I have seen one choke like that before and I used the Browning flat key style wrench on it. Haven't used that choke since, I have a tackle box full of others and don't know who even made it.

They also sell these choke wrenches that do not use the slots in the choke but compress outward to the inner walls of the tube. I've seen them used at sporting clays events. Not sure how much they run, but it saves having to have different wrenches for different gun models.

Vince

I tried using a quarter and a pair of pliars. After bending 3 quarters up I gave up. Guess it's one of those "right tool for the job" things.

I would take a picture but my match director broke my digital camera.

Going ASCI style it looks like () but round. A thing recess at 12:00 and 6:00.

Snap ring pliers might have enough strength, but if you were thrashing quarters odds of the choke being siezed are pretty good. You might want to risk another 75 cents with a little heat applied to the barrel, get it JUST too hot to touch and don't let the flame touch the barrel.

It sounds like a Colonial Arms tube. Mine, for TruChokes have only opposing slots. I've had to remove stuck tubes for some friends, I wound up making special wrenches out of solid stainless bar stock, then put a long bar through the hole to break it loose. The bar was about 7" long. Most choke tube wrenches won't handle the torque you need. They're either sheet metal, or some even plastic.

Hope this helped.

P.S. Once you get the tube out, put Never Sieze on them. They won't stick then.

Edited by Dan Sierpina

I bought a choke for my benelli that was that way.

I took an old wrench and ground off the 2 lugs that were not necessary and it worked just fine. (At least it works if you have an extra wrench.)

5Shot